Has anyone/would anyone buy off of Ebay?

Morgan3820

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
El Conquistador
As I am in the market for a C172, after TAP and Barnstormers I looked on Ebay out of curiosity and to see what planes are actually going for. Some of the offerings are interesting. But would someone actually commit to such an important purchase based on a description in Ebay? How would someone go about such a purchase?

EBay is more of an advertising medium for sellers of aircraft. Many times future purchasers will just contact the seller off of eBay discuss what terms might be appreciated by both parties, and then the deal is made.

As always, it is highly suggested to do your due diligence, inspections, and logbook review before committing to any purchase of this magnitude.

EBay is more of an advertising medium for sellers of aircraft. Many times future purchasers will just contact the seller off of eBay discuss what terms might be appreciated by both parties, and then the deal is made.

As always, it is highly suggested to do your due diligence, inspections, and logbook review before committing to any purchase of this magnitude.

Bought one and sold one this way.

As I am in the market for a C172, after TAP and Barnstormers I looked on Ebay out of curiosity and to see what planes are actually going for. Some of the offerings are interesting. But would someone actually commit to such an important purchase based on a description in Ebay? How would someone go about such a purchase?

eBay has a non binding policy for planes, real estate etc... They also offer no buyer protection.its not like buying tube socks on the main site. With that said, treat it like barnstormers, controller, tap etc... I don't recommend being the winning bidder then having a seller try to dictate the terms, a lot of sellers think its like selling tube socks on the main site. Usual rules apply: Pre purchase agreement you both can live with, an escrow company you pick and a pre-buy by the mechanic you pick, lien search and all that.

Bought two that way. These deals fall apart with alarming regularity, due to the non-binding nature of bids. If you like the plane, call or email the seller to see it, ignore the auction format completely -- all it does is set a floor that the seller will accept for the plane. See the plane, wait for the bidding to end, and start negotiations at that price. Optionally, you can bid yourself, but its 80% likely the high bidder is going to crap out, so why push the dollars higher?

I found my plane via ebay. Seller had a TwinCo advertised. I went to his website, saw the single, made ridiculously low offer, brought it home within a month.

Bought two that way. These deals fall apart with alarming regularity, due to the non-binding nature of bids. If you like the plane, call or email the seller to see it, ignore the auction format completely -- all it does is set a floor that the seller will accept for the plane. See the plane, wait for the bidding to end, and start negotiations at that price. Optionally, you can bid yourself, but its 80% likely the high bidder is going to crap out, so why push the dollars higher?

I wouldn't say they fall apart because of the non-binding nature of the bids. They fall apart because 98% of the planes listed are junk and the seller thinks he has some sort of legal high ground to force money out of your pocket due to some sort of imaginary eBay law. I won the "high bid" on a Bonanza. Talked to the seller at length about it. When the auction ended, he wanted nothing but "I owe him $2K down payment within 24 hours" this was after we talked about escrow etc...before the auction ended. I sent him the pre-purchase agreement, and asked him to call me if he had any issues with it (one of those fill in the blank ones where you circle who's responsible for what) He flat out rejected to entertain the idea of a pre-purchase agreement. Wanted me to pay-pal him my "deposit" wanted nothing to do with an escrow company. I naturally declined. I offered to fly down with mechanic in tow within 48 hours, he said he had buyers lined up and wouldn't hold it for 48 hours. I told him I thought it would be in his best interest to just go ahead and sell it to one of the many other buyers because I wouldn't be gambling a plane ticket for two if the plane wasn't guaranteed to be there. His tune changed. Come on down... I'll hold it for you. Figured out the field it was at and did some internet sleuthing, plenty of people had seen it there, but no PIREPS on it. Finally found a local mechanic who'd done a previous pre-buy on it.... about $30K needed to make it airworthy. I didn't bother to tell him I wasn't on my way because after hours of conversation and repeatedly asking him about "what I was going to find" , he never bothered to tell me about the ruddervators corrosion issues and the overhaul the engine needed. Anyway, he starts complaining to eBay, he then learned about the non-binding policy. Plane stayed for sale for as long as I cared to keep checking on it. It "sold" a few times, but kept showing back up by the same seller.

The above story is what you'll find on eBay and other places. Be careful and the seller does not have you by the balls if you "win". SOP for plane buying is
escrow+pre-purchase agreement+pre buy inspection+lien search any seller that wants to circumvent those steps no matter the venue the plane "sold" at...keep walking.

Last edited:
Both bought my Commander there and just 2 weeks ago sold it there as well.

Dave Holmes here at Holmes Airpark has a low time 172 for sale. PM me for the details.

Have bought a couple and sold a couple on eBay. Were never any surprises for me and no problems. It's what you want to make of it. Why would it be any worse than any other way to buy a airplane? Have had more problems thru a broker.

I always thought the only important thing about ebay listings was to ask the seller a question early in the game so I'd have contact info for use after the auction closed.

I found my plane on eBay back in 2000. I contacted the seller after someone else had won the auction and said to let me know if the deal fell through. It did, and he did.

I also sold the plane on eBay in 2009. I required a non-refundable deposit that covered only the eBay fees.

I found my plane on eBay back in 2000. I contacted the seller after someone else had won the auction and said to let me know if the deal fell through. It did, and he did.

I also sold the plane on eBay in 2009. I required a non-refundable deposit that covered only the eBay fees.

I'm glad it worked our for you. But, for a buyer I wouldn't recommend paying any sort of non refundable anything. eBay fees are the sellers problem not mine. If the sell doesn't go through ebay will refund them and let you list the plane again. ALL money goes in escrow that the buyer picks every cent.

Bought a 172 that way a few years ago. As mentioned already, most aircraft posts on Ebay are for advertising only, with the actual deal done off Ebay. The sale post is used to make contact between buyer and seller, just like an ad in TAP. After that you just have to do your due diligence to make sure the deal is right.

We put $5,000 in an escrow account until deal was done for earnest money, fully refundable if either party backed out.

FWIW, I talked to quite a few car guys while looking for a Yukon that matched the required specs. Without exception they said their internet sales business is largely post-auction phone-generated.

Just bought my replacement parts from there. Got a lower strut, fork, 2 piece wheel and tire for $400. That's probably a savings of over $1000 if I would have gone through Wentworth or other salvage places.

I have been a part of an eBay purchase of a 172.

It miserably failed prebuy and wasn't purchased, just like any other sale!

Just bought my replacement parts from there. Got a lower strut, fork, 2 piece wheel and tire for $400. That's probably a savings of over $1000 if I would have gone through Wentworth or other salvage places.

I'm pleased to hear you found replacement parts for a reasonable cost. Get that bird repaired and go flying!

How I do any high dollar sale on e-bay.
NON refundable Deposit must be made as soon as action ends.
I do this to keep people from showing up then trying to talk you down.

Also the seller must have ample pictures the max e-bay allows, then this item must be described 100%. Leave nothing out or omit nothing.

Have remainder of payment paid at time of pickup and do not argue or haggle with the person, the sale is already final.

Never ever contact a buyer or seller out side of e-bay. E-bay has a message system use it. If you do not use it and there is a problem e-bay will not even talk with you about the problem if they find you spoke or communicated outside of e-bay.

Do this and the sale will be a smooth sale.

Now if you are the purchaser you know do not let the seller say, call me, or e-mail me. Right there that is a giveaway that this transaction will not or could not be a good one. Don't do it.
Follow the same rules as a purchaser as you would as a seller and all purchases will be good, for you. It might suck for the other person, but e-bay will always stand behind you if you follow the rules cross all T's and dot all i's.

I know they have covered my butt a few times. Even went to court for me, they hired the attorney and everything. I was out flying the day we went to court. I won, but that is another story that would blow you away if I told you, it did me and I lived it.

H.A.S.

I'm pleased to hear you found replacement parts for a reasonable cost. Get that bird repaired and go flying!

Should be done this week. Had a few other squawks taken care of while they were at it.

Last edited:
How I do any high dollar sale on e-bay.
NON refundable Deposit must be made as soon as action ends.
I do this to keep people from showing up then trying to talk you down.

Also the seller must have ample pictures the max e-bay allows, then this item must be described 100%. Leave nothing out or omit nothing.

Have remainder of payment paid at time of pickup and do not argue or haggle with the person, the sale is already final.

Never ever contact a buyer or seller out side of e-bay. E-bay has a message system use it. If you do not use it and there is a problem e-bay will not even talk with you about the problem if they find you spoke or communicated outside of e-bay.

Do this and the sale will be a smooth sale.

Now if you are the purchaser you know do not let the seller say, call me, or e-mail me. Right there that is a giveaway that this transaction will not or could not be a good one. Don't do it.
Follow the same rules as a purchaser as you would as a seller and all purchases will be good, for you. It might suck for the other person, but e-bay will always stand behind you if you follow the rules cross all T's and dot all i's.

I know they have covered my butt a few times. Even went to court for me, they hired the attorney and everything. I was out flying the day we went to court. I won, but that is another story that would blow you away if I told you, it did me and I lived it.

H.A.S.

Problem with that is, with planes, The deal isn't final and with planes they offer ZERO ZIP NADA customer protection. Using the message system or not, doesn't matter they still won't care. They'll tell you the auction was buyer beware, non-binding and you shouldn't have sent any money without checking the plane out first. they're a venue for selling nothing more. I've bought and sold a plane off eBay, I would NEVER send a non-refundable deposit for a plane purchase I don't care if it's only a nickle, because the likelihood of the deal going south is probably 98%.

100+ purchases from E bay including a Porsche and a large diamond ring. I have never had one problem buying or selling even when the merchandise was $$$

I agree no pre payment. Go see the car plane truck whatever and then buy it in full and leave with it. Other purchases done on eBay use PayPal and a credit card and you are good to go I have been using eBay 15 years 1000's of transactions buying and selling.

just like any other sale!

I think this is the key. There is nothing unique about ebay for plane purchases -- same emotional sellers, same nutpunch-offering buyers (myself included :D ), and same endless parade of tire-kickers who just want to talk about airplanes and have exhausted every bent ear in their locality already.

I ignore ALL language about non-refundable deposits and blah blah blah. If there is talk of "no exceptions", or other signs that the seller is a hard-head who isn't very interested in selling planes, I skip to the next -- life is too short to play games with sellers and their god complexes. I show up with a mitt full of cash ready to transact at a price we've already discussed, and that is all of the "earnest" they'll get from me. If I'm investing an airline ticket to see your pile, I'm "earnest" enough.

Everyone's different. If this is the only plane you're gonna own for a few years, it makes sense to take your sweet time, do your thorough and intricate pre-buys, and find that perfect creampuff... and be ready to spend more money, and have access to fewer planes, and yes, someone will steal a few out from under you. You're less nimble, and you should be. You don't get to be picky AND get a "steal" very often, and it takes patience to align those two concepts. :)

This may not be a 172 but I sold it on e-bay just as I stated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBGro7gJfy8

I tell everyone and I told this man. If the airplane is not everything I said it is you can have your money back.

I say no refund for those whom want to try and talk you down. I walk away, with deposit in my pocket.
But its never happened.

I have my 172 on eBay right now. It's a good plane as several poa members who have flown it can attest to. Including one poa board member. i think it is a disservice to say most planes on ebay are not good planes. I have great luck with eBay.

I sold a car for my Mom on e-bay. It was one of those pocket rocket style cars or what ever they call them. Non refundable deposit was put on that, sale went great.
10' Shark that came with the home we purchased. That one the man whom wanted it wanted to play games. The price went up 200 bucks..I do not play games...He purchased that shark. I came down to the original price after he understood...I do not play games....Sale went great. I made him hire packing company to come and pack it. I would not even take it off the wall.

I sold a car for my Mom on e-bay. It was one of those pocket rocket style cars or what ever they call them. Non refundable deposit was put on that, sale went great.
10' Shark that came with the home we purchased. That one the man whom wanted it wanted to play games. The price went up 200 bucks..I do not play games...He purchased that shark. I came down to the original price after he understood...I do not play games....Sale went great. I made him hire packing company to come and pack it. I would not even take it off the wall.

Bad plane selling advice. Sounds like you got,lucky. I don't play games with sellers. Here's my offer, pre purchase agreement and escrow company we'll be using. If I hear anything about a nonrefundable anything, my BS meter goes off the scales and we're done.

I HIGHLY recommend a buyer not send a cent to a seller. ESCROW every penny. If you put money in the sellers hands, figure you have about an 80% chance of coming away with no plane and less money.

Maybe I could get an old POS beater, put it on eBay/Internet demand non refundable deposits and make a living on sales falling through......hmmm nobody in the plane business would do that ?

Barron-Thomas-mugshot-27123840.400x800.jpg

I have my 172 on eBay right now. It's a good plane as several poa members who have flown it can attest to. Including one poa board member. i think it is a disservice to say most planes on ebay are not good planes. I have great luck with eBay.

After having evaluated many of the planes on ebay and other places, my experience would lead me to believe that saying "most" would be dishonest, "almost all" would be more descriptive of the current situation.

My plane sold the first time it was listed on ebay. From for sale to someone else in 2 weeks. It was a good plane priced right. I knew what i had and what it was worth. Good ones don't stick around long, most of the stuff listed is crap that keeps getting reposted. Some that I know of have been on there for 2 years now.

Yep you can tell the bullsh### just by how they describe their item. Or by the price. People will have crap and want top dollar for it or they will have crap and try and put a rose on it.
Be honest upfront tell it like it is and everything goes great, as long as you cover your butt. To many dishonest people you have to keep them honest.
Like if I post on Craigslist.... I hate to do and stay away as much as I can, but if I do post on craigslist I state in big bold letters....All scam and spam e-mail goes straight to the police, if you do not want the police having your e-mail do not send me spam or scam e-mail....I never get scam or spam....Don't do this and see what you get....make them be honest...or keep the dishonest away..either way it works for me..you do as you want....Like I told the HR department at Pebble Beach as they are throwing money at me...You can keep your money..I want none of it....

Real estate broker here- it's like I tell all of my clients, I will be absolutely brutally honest about the condition of the house, we will disclose everything, and price the house fairly. If you have a problem with that, then you need to find another agent because you are not ready to sell. Lots of parallels with airplanes. If the price seems to good to be true, it probably is. If the seller is being a hard ass about reasonable requests, move on, they don't want to sell. Remove the surprises from the transaction, surprises are what kill deals.

When we bought the 172 through Ebay, the seller was right up front about asking for a $5k deposit to hold it, but was perfectly OK with escrow, that was the first good sign. He agreed to fly the plane to a shop not too far away that we chose, for the Cessna dealer there to do a prebuy (not just any A&P - the Cessna dealer - they are only going to be loyal to the brand), that was another good sign. Once we got the prebuy info back from the dealer we booked Southwest tickets and flew up to look at it and fly it before doing the deal.

For the financial transaction I opened an account with the same bank the seller used and deposited the money there. Once we decided we liked the airplane, we drove down the road with the seller to his bank and transferred funds from my account to his, signed the paperwork with the banks notary, and it was done. Just that easy.

I agree with another post wherein they say e-Bay is more a marketing tool than an actual venue to conduct a sale. I sold two airplanes recently and put both on e-Bay with a "Buy It Now" price that was the same as my asking price on Barnstormers. The ads generated a lot of interest and the buyers who were clearly serious were aware, through their own searches, that I was advertising on multiple mediums. I think most listings on e-Bay are contrived to do exactly what I did - generate interest and reach potential customers who may not be searching on Barnstormers or in TAP.

Either way, as other posts suggest, do not send money - even a deposit - until you see the airplane or at least meet the seller; have an A&P or IA that you know and trust conduct a very thorough prebuy - do not use an A&P or IA recommended by the seller; use all available resources to research the registration / AD Notes / 337's / logs / damage history. If the airplane checks out and you're ready to make a deal, codify the deal with a contract.

This is a great buyer's market and there are some very nice airplanes out there at reasonable prices - happy hunting for your 172!

Ahhh, Barron's mugshot. I remember him from his days at Love Field. He was a master salesman with plenty of connections, but he believed his own b.s. and had an ego bigger than Dallas. The facts of the case are an interesting read and are all available on-line.

So what is the story with the listings by featured auto? A similar named company called me a few years ago demanding 500 dollars to sell a range rover promising they would sell it for more than my asking price. I told them no and was harassed by them for the duration of my listings on auto trader ect. I use throw away phones for initial contact to keep this stuff at bay.

I've never bought a plane on ebay, but I've bought a boat ($35K), a car ($6K) and a piano ($25K) but never a plane.

Bought my first plane on a whim off eBay (hadn't taken the first lesson yet). It was a mid-time (airframe and engine) cherokee that served me quite well. I got my ticket in it and put about 250 hours on it before I bought a six (the right way). I guess I got lucky... I figured that "bought on eBay, sell on eBay." It lasted less than 24 hours before a gentleman wired the full price to my bank account sight unseen. A week later he flew in (commercial) and picked it up. I haven't heard from him since...

The seller that I purchased it from did the "eBay is a binding agreement" thing with me after the auction ended. It didn't bother me simply because it was my intention to buy the plane. Had I known then what I know now I would have at least tried to have a pre-buy done before I sent the deposit... This is really one of those times that I would "rather be lucky than good" because that's how it worked out.

On a side note, I bought my cherokee six from a reputable broker and had a very poor experience with the whole deal. Pre-buy mechanic was terrible as well... I think that I'll have to be even more careful with my next purchase (if there is one).

The advise from the thread is solid; treat it like any other venue.

Best of luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Won a Pressley Mooney on Ebay. After I discovered the logs where being held by a disgruntled partner, I backed out of the deal. No ramifications.

Sold my Cherokee 180 on Ebay... less then 2 weeks and deal was done on Ebay including deposit. Seller wired me the funds and I flew it down there.

Key to that is to not sell it in auction format, but in fixed price format with best offer. Gives buyer's time to do due diligence with little risk (deposit is small and made via paypal (refundable))

Last edited:
Back