Recommendations for a biplane?

Pilotl1234

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
L.
I have been looking at biplanes and I was wondering if anyone could give me some recommendations for planes? I prefer the "older" kind of look, but I wasn't sure which planes are "good".

Thank you!

5223986389_19784c9898_z.jpg

S2B. Everything else is wanna be.

Edit: Or, Hyperbipe. Yummy.

If you like biplanes, you must have seen some and have some sort of idea what appeals to you, or looks good. It's not like you're asking what airplane is best for hauling your family of four trans-continental several times a year. You're asking a question too non-specific to answer. Now everyone will be giving your their own preferences. :) Price range? Experimental/type-certificated? 2-seat/1 seat? Speed? Fuel efficiency? Aerobatic or not? Open/closed cockpit?

Type Certified or homebuilt?
One seat or two?
I assume open cockpit?
$20,000 or $200,000?

OK, yeah -- I guess the Staggerwing is acceptable in this category.

Barely...:D:D:D:D

1 seat or more? EAA Biplane/Acrosport isn't a bad move. I bought an EAA biplane that's a blast to fly.

Smith DSA Miniplane - unless you're planning to bring your legs along with you.

Might I recommend a Starduster Too. They're one of the prettiest airplanes ever designed. You can go flying around the patch, turn 'n burn in gentleman aerobatics and fly cross country with equal ease.

I wish that I'd never sold mine. For the most part, they have fairly gentle tendencies and aren't that difficult to land. Mine was almost impossible to wheel land, but it three-pointed with no problems. I put almost a thousand hours on it before I sold it - thinking that I wanted something a bit more spritely.

You can find them all day long in the $30k range.

A guy pulled his Hatz into the gas pump just behind me a couple weeks ago. Neat-looking bird.

A guy pulled his Hatz into the gas pump just behind me a couple weeks ago. Neat-looking bird.

Hatzes are gorgeous. They are intended to be downsized representations of a Waco...

I can make someone a great deal on the plans, wing ribs, and most of the parts for the wing center section for one... ;-)

Add a few more evenings of hard work and voila, Biplane!

The first question to ask is "What's the mission?" Biplanes are common for scenic flights, aerobatics and just plain stick and rudder flying. What do you plan on doing? Hardcore IMC on long XC's with family or local flying solo?

Classic or iconic: Stearman
Rides or scenic: WACO
Aerobatic: Pitts or Christian Eagle

Those can be pricey, depending on model and condition. More economical choices can include Acrosport, EAA biplanes, star duster or sky bolts.

Last edited:
I couldn't build a boy-scout birdhouse with directions on the box.

Hatzes are gorgeous. They are intended to be downsized representations of a Waco...

I can make someone a great deal on the plans, wing ribs, and most of the parts for the wing center section for one... ;-)

Add a few more evenings of hard work and voila, Biplane!

L, What is your price range and mission. I have time in about 25 different types of bi planes and currently fly the N3N in my avitar. Don

Might I recommend a Starduster Too. They're one of the prettiest airplanes ever designed. You can go flying around the patch, turn 'n burn in gentleman aerobatics and fly cross country with equal ease.

I wish that I'd never sold mine. For the most part, they have fairly gentle tendencies and aren't that difficult to land. Mine was almost impossible to wheel land, but it three-pointed with no problems. I put almost a thousand hours on it before I sold it - thinking that I wanted something a bit more spritely.

You can find them all day long in the $30k range.

Quite, don't tell anyone about the Starduster ... I want to keep the prices low until I get home and buy one. If you kick up the prices, I may go the Pietenpol route.

Fly a biplane yet? The have all the disadvantages of a high and low wing all in one plane lol. The only biplane to get is a Beech 17 aka Staggerwing. A Stearman with a 985 is pretty good to.

Fly a biplane yet? The have all the disadvantages of a high and low wing all in one plane lol. The only biplane to get is a Beech 17 aka Staggerwing. A Stearman with a 985 is pretty good to.

One thing about a big open cockpit biplane is I have given hundreds of rides in the N3Ns over the years and not once has anyone gotten out without a big grin on their face. Also the N3N is a Cadillac compared to a Stearman! I do agree the Staggerwing is the sexiest looking airplanes ever made and they fly nice also. Don

Back