Flyboys - in theatres this Friday!

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
My lovely wife called me yesterday and invited me out on a date Friday--dinner and a movie... she wants to take me to see Flyboys! I forgot it started this weekend. Anybody else going to see it this weekend, or get to see it at the preview at Oshkosh? I've seen the trailer, it looks great!

Ive also seent he trailer. Unfortunately Im scheduled to do a Night Cross Country with a student Friday, so Ill probably miss it the first night out. I did manage to get a movie poster for it though. Seems that they sent one to my FBO and I was smooth enough to talk em out of it :)

It looks like it could become one of our favorites.

What surprised me is that it looks like they have very similar acting/flying scenes as classics like "Wings." Maybe they conciousily put in some tributes. Maybe there are just so many ways you can move your head to check six.

I'm sure I'll watch it when it's available other than in theaters, because it's just not worth the risk and bother of going out into the public to see the computer graphics that their trailer advertises -they just give most real pilots the willies!

Dave Krall CFII said:
I'm sure I'll watch it when it's available other than in theaters, because it's just not worth the risk and bother of going out into the public to see the computer graphics that their trailer advertises -they just give most real pilots the willies!
A lot of it's NOT computer graphics. In some cases the pilots were able to do things they thought they could only do with CG.

mikea said:
A lot of it's NOT computer graphics. In some cases the pilots were able to do things they thought they could only do with CG.

That's good to hear, would it make Howard proud?

My wife doesn't know it yet but I've already arranged for a sitter and Pre-purchased the movie tickets, and we'll have dinner first.

If she plays her cards right she might just get lucky after the movie.

I'll go this weekend if I can find someone to go with. Can't wait to see it.

another dyslexic man

So this dyslexic guy stumbles into a bra...

I caught a short piece about this movie on CNBC's "On The Money" program last night. Oracle CEO Larry Ellison provided financing for the film, which helped it finally get to production after over a dozen false starts. His son David also is an actor in the movie, and a pilot in real life. In the interview, David said he had worked at Orcale, but really just loved flying.

-Rich

It was pretty cool! I am no fan of most things Hollywood puts out, but I enjoyed Flyboys.

I saw the movie this evening and I really liked it too!!!
And, I never see movies in theatres but this had to be seen on the big screen to get all the dog fight action.

I saw it Saturday, loved it. Something for everyone, blood, guts, romance, funnies, and sad. But mostly AIRLPANES. :yes:

ladyaviator said:
I saw it Saturday, loved it. Something for everyone, blood, guts, romance, funnies, and sad. But mostly AIRLPANES. :yes:

Yup, AWESOME film. Not just the flying, either. The acting was great (not overacted), there was humor, good sub-plots, a romantic twist. All done very well. I have to admit to pulling my elbows in close (like you do on the freeway when somebody goes by too close to you) during some of those dogfight "near misses".

It's amazing what those guys went through...

mikea said:
Here's a pilot who HATED "Flyboys."
http://varifrank.com/archives/2006/09/flyboys_a_revie.php

I'd say "Lighten up, Francis"

I got a kick out of the movie trailers, and if I remember to take my stupid movie pills, hope to enjoy the film when it's on TV as much as I enjoyed the critic's write-up in the link above! The comments on his critique were funny, too.

Last edited:
Did anyone notice at the end of the movie when they told what the pilots went on to do, the black pilot, whom the French readily accepted into the program, joined the US Air force but wasn`t allowed to fly? It made me think of Bessie Coleman, she went to France to learn to fly, after no one here would teach her.

ladyaviator said:
Did anyone notice at the end of the movie when they told what the pilots went on to do, the black pilot, whom the French readily accepted into the program, joined the US Air force but wasn`t allowed to fly? It made me think of Bessie Coleman, she went to France to learn to fly, after no one here would teach her.
Eugene Ballard joined the U.S. Army and was refused enlistment in the U.S. Air Service after WWI. There was no Air Force until after WWII.

I don't think any black airmen flew in battle until Eleanor Roosevelt put heat on the Army Air Corps to let the Tusgekee Airmen go to war. Ironically, there were Japanese-Americans flying in the European theater.

http://www.tuskegeeairmen.org/

Last edited:
I took my Dad to see it yesterday afternoon. He grew up reading dime novels about the exploits of WWI aviators. He once commented he had hundreds of hours flying Spads and Sopwiths reading those paperbacks as a kid. His hearing is not what it once was, saying afterwards "It sounded like they were talking French most of the time." But he enjoyed it overall, several grins at the subtle (and not so subtle) pilot jokes and cliches.

It was my second viewing. I went Friday night in Columbus, MS with Kathleen. It was fun listening to the AF instructors in the audience...sort of a Mystery Aviation Theatre 3000 atmosphere. :)

Just saw it tonight {9/30/06} Was entertaining, but the graphics were poor, for the state of the art... Star wars had better CG flight combat scenes, and that is some 30 years old.
You don't see bullets, leaving humongous smoke trails....even before smokeless powder of the 1860's
or cross controlled, left, diving turns with the rudder flapping full to both stops, as if saying HEY!!! LOOK AT ME!!!.... for no reason.

They drew one Fokker triplane, and cloned it....then changed/added the nose, er..... fuselage art(?)

Oh yeah, the top speed of the Fokker was 103mph, at 13,000 ft., not the mind boggling speeds of f-16's doing a mach 1 flyby....
(I had a cruising Bonanza (approx 177 kts), come out of the sun above me, as I climbed in a C-152 on take-off, (70 kts)
and had plenty of time to divert my flight path...)

Some other "tech" goof's were
... landing in "no mans land" (in mines, bomb craters, barbed wire, and under fire) to help his comrade, whose hand he chops cleanly off... with one swipr of an entrenching tool.
...the flak exploding close enough to bounce the Neuiports around badly, but not even the paint got singed, let alone the doped linen fabric, torn to shreds, or the wings blown off, as they were by mere bullets.
...comments about the "canvas" coverings not being received on time for repairs. [Weren't they linen?]
...As for the Fokker straffing scenes at the French town, and when the downed pilot gets it, I've seen slower "F-86 Sabers"....

I did get a kick out of the kid who couldn't hit the broad side of a barn...throughout the picture, when he shows up, near the end, with a "Captain Hook appendage", and a machine gun angled ten degrees to the left, cause he couldn't put enough right rudder ... [Wasn't he hitting too far to the left in training??] and wipes out a "Red" German tri-plane in a single, or so burst....

RATINGS: scale of 1 - 12
as an entertainment device; I'll give it a 7. Technically; a 2,
acting was fairly good, even down to the pompous french officer w/ moustache, and the James Dean "loner" character, Cassidy. The girl Lucienne, was stunningly beautiful, and her quick grasp of English taught to her by her nephew, was a nice touch.
Overall; an 8.

Go see it, if only for a laugh or two, and a night out.

I saw it yesterday. I enjoyed parts of it. It is nice to see a movie about this time in our history. But if I were to review it I would call it average, the plot is basically 'Top Gun 1917'.

Chache said:
Oh yeah, the top speed of the Fokker was 103mph, at 13,000 ft., not the mind boggling speeds of f-16's doing a mach 1 flyby....
(I had a cruising Bonanza (approx 177 kts), come out of the sun above me, as I climbed in a C-152 on take-off, (70 kts)
and had plenty of time to divert my flight path...)

The Fokker Tri-plane's extreme deadliness was from its pilots realizing and utilizing its small turning radius and maneuverability, not its slower speeds.

Dave Krall CFII said:
The Fokker Tri-plane's extreme deadliness was from its pilots realizing and utilizing its small turning radius and maneuverability, not its slower speeds.

Umm.... Maybee.....but in the movie I saw, last night, they were going head to head with the Nieuports, at what seemed to be CG F-16 speeds.
If you blinked, you missed the scene. Remember "Top Gun's" first encounter with foreign jet flyby's?? Same thing (?).. here.

The one scene where one guy dives on the zeppelin, was about the right speed.

and oh, (suspension of belief )
...level flight to true vertical, and climbing to escape, in a 1917 Nieuport aircraft......?
where did the excess energy come from?
OK, I might be swayed just a bit, if he dove first.....

I can't get half that performance out of the 152, and it has the same HP.
[Vx is 65kts]
Can you slowly say "stall", at climb angles >45 deg?

From < http://www.hq.nasa.gov/pao/History/SP-468/ch2-2.htm >
A comparison of the data given in table I for the Albatros D-III and the Nieuport 17 leads to some interesting speculation. Although the D-III was heavier and had more wing area and a more powerful engine than the Nieuport, the values of the wing loading and the power loading for the two aircraft are not greatly different. Furthermore, the values of the zero-lift drag coefficient and the maximum liftdrag ratio are about the same. These two aircraft can therefore be considered to have about equal aerodynamic efficiency and, accordingly, to exhibit about the same performance characteristics.

Rumor has it the boys over at the Pilotcast.com had the films director, Tony Bill, on the show tonight. Tony's has been a pilot for more then 40 years, currently he flies a Marchetti SF 240. Anyway, I hear he talks about the movie, answers some of the internet critics and talks flying. Great interview I must say. Look for show 45

Back