do you keep old FAR AIMs or airport directories?

woodstock

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iTravel
apart from something to put in the museum one day that is? :rofl:

I have every chart I've used (not many, since they come out 2x a year) and at some point may use them for wrapping paper but at least I will save the very first one...

I just bought the 2007 FAR AIM and have the big ol' one from 2003 from Jepp - is there any reason at all to keep it (is there a reason I'd ever need to look up historical stuff...)

I think I only need Montreal, Halifax, and a couple of the south Texas ones, and I will have 1 of every sectional. I never mark on any of them. When I finish my upstairs I am going to get 2nd copies and use them as wallpaper. AF/Ds I toss, and the 6 sectionals I subscribe to, when I get the 3rd copy, the oldest one gets tossed.

I kept the very oldest since I started flying, the rest I don't need, other than the most current, so I give them to people with any interest in flying, or recycle them. Some older sectionals mounted edge to edge on the wall so my "back yard" is up for viewing and basic flight planning at a glance.

Last edited:
I send old ones to a work colleagues dad in Scotland. he flies m$ flight sim and is part of an online flight sim community. He loves getting 'em.

I keep too much crap as it is. The other day I tossed two years worth of AFD and FAR/AIM. I do keep a few sectionals though. I use them with flight sim from time to time.

I toss most of mine each month.

I do have some old, historical ones (like NY sectional from the 70's)... I've made those available to Freeman's Abandoned and Little Known airfields page.

Another thing I use old sectionals for is packing material. It works great and lots of times the receiver likes looking at the old charts.

I don't keep any of the old FAR/AIMs but I had some old sectionals and WACs until I tossed them a few months ago in a fit of decluttering.

Recently someone asked me if I had a copy of the old Denver Stapleton airport diagram, either Jepp or NACO. He was asking the wrong person. I've already checked the abandoned airfields site and I don't see one there either. So if anyone has any idea where one can be found on the internet please point me in that direction.

Everskyward said:
I don't keep any of the old FAR/AIMs but I had some old sectionals and WACs until I tossed them a few months ago in a fit of decluttering.

Recently someone asked me if I had a copy of the old Denver Stapleton airport diagram, either Jepp or NACO. He was asking the wrong person. I've already checked the abandoned airfields site and I don't see one there either. So if anyone has any idea where one can be found on the internet please point me in that direction.
Not a diagram, just a aerial picture (s)
stapleton_aerial_sml.jpg

[

Attachments

• stapleton_aerial_outline_1000px.jpg
    stapleton_aerial_outline_1000px.jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 11
Thanks, but this guy is interested in an airport diagram because it has the lat/longs on it. The whole story is that we have a mutual pilot friend who bought a house on the redeveloped area and they were trying to figure out where it is in relation to the old runways. He also thought it might make a novel "You Are Here" map.

I've slowly put together a stack of sectionals for most of the country that are seriously obsolete. Airspace changes, things change but the terrain and navaids don't move around much. I could throw them out on the floor for preliminary planning/day dreaming then get current charts to plan seriously. They're really useful for drawing a straight line between airports when flipping a chart over.

I always like to keep the odd sectional. After a while take it out and compare it to a current one. It's interesting history...and anyone that doesn't believe civilization is a sickening blight on the landscape lives in a box with their fingers in their ears and eyes closed going lalalallalalaalallalaa really loud. It's disgusting.

AIM/FAR/aopa airport directly type stuff: I think I have kept 3 total since the beginning of time (more of that novelty see the changes thing) - the rest turned into wrapping paper for fireplace starter kindling.

Everskyward said:
Thanks, but this guy is interested in an airport diagram because it has the lat/longs on it. The whole story is that we have a mutual pilot friend who bought a house on the redeveloped area and they were trying to figure out where it is in relation to the old runways. He also thought it might make a novel "You Are Here" map.

I'm asking my American Airlines 777 captain friend if he can check their chart library at work--he might be able to get us a copy. I'll let you know what I find out.

I keep the most recently expired at the office. Use them for quick lookup when needed (as in where should I go this weekend), or to show/explain something to coworkers

Troy Whistman said:
I'm asking my American Airlines 777 captain friend if he can check their chart library at work--he might be able to get us a copy. I'll let you know what I find out.
Thanks! :yes:

we should all bring our old FAR/AIMs to Gastons, so we can have a bonfire!

aww cmon its not like we are burning fine literature, its the FAR's!!!! and old expired ones at that.

Back