I need a suitcase

simtech

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Simtech
We are going to St. Lucia in a few weeks for a much needed vacation. The problem is I need a suitcase. I keep going back to the polycarbonate suitcases. But...I'm scared, as flimsy as they feel, that they will get all cracked up and leave my stuff on the tarmac. Okay not scared about my clothes going everywhere but they do appear flimsy. Anybody use these and if so how do you like? I was looking at the Delsey brand.

Costco had some polycarbonate stuff the other day, looked nice, and seemed cheap, but didn't pay much more attention. The Costco return policy is pretty good insurance against buyer's remorse.

I have been buying the soft sided FUL luggage at Costco and using/loaning it and giving it for gifts. The prices are cheap, seems to hold up to rough treatment (I can see tons of scuffs from asphalt/concrete on the ramps at the airlines, no significant affect). I have a nice Samonsite set for years, but they now look dated and don't have the features that new luggage has. The Costco stuff is much easier.

I think the bags have all been $39-$59, depending on size, and, if they only last a dozen trips, then the $3 per trip was far less than the $25-$50 that the airline charged me to attempt to destroy the bag.

I travel a lot for work, and have polycarbonate suitcases. They do just fine (better than fabric).
EBags' poly suitcases do very well: http://www.ebags.com/search/m/polycarbonate/b/ebags/h/best-of-the-best?origin=left_nav

If you are traveling a lot, spring for Samsonite. The handles are more rugged for long, hard use. For occasional use, a Delsey should be fine. I have a very old Delsey (like 20 years old) that has done me well, but I don't know about Delsey's quality anymore.

Ballistic nylon for the material.

I am currently using a Tumi that I got at Costco for under $200. I still have a very serviceable Tumi that I got in 1996 or so, about 1.5 million+ airline miles on it. I finally retired it because the handle sticks up too far to meet he current carrion requirements (except JetBlue), but I could still use it if I wanted to.

That said, I know folks that like TravelPro, B&R, Rick Steves, and Costco's store brand ballistic bags. If it's just a handful of trips, I wouldn't bother with a real expensive bag, but for us heavy travelers it's worth the extra money.

Thanks for the replies. Yeah I don't want to spend much as I don't travel alot to where I need a suitcase. I'd say twice a year and one of them out of the country. But at the same time I want it to last as well.

Love my Eagle Creek suitcase/pack. Has removable smaller pack. Has wheels for rolling but when you need to hump it unzip the back, pull out the straps and pack it. Has been to Europe 6-7 times, the Carribean and Central America. Still going strong. Packing my stiff to Arlington this week!

We went to Home Goods Marshalls whatever and picked up Samsonite ones for like 99.99 each and went through 7 flights in South Africa no issue.

Red Oxx is my choice even if it is canvas. Have an Air Boss and some other smaller things. All of them fit the carryon sizer and the Air Boss can carry enough of my stuff for a couple of weeks if necessary.

Made in the USA if that matters to you.

Cheers

TravelPro. My bag has a massive pile of miles on it. I love my bag and you can't have it :)

I don't travel alot to where I need a suitcase. I'd say twice a year and one of them out of the country. But at the same time I want it to last as well.

Overseas travel, hard luggage is a good thing.
We got on a bus in Egypt, they threw everyone's bags on top and tied them down (with rope), pulling as hard as they could.
The softside rolling bag the rope went over bent like a banana, ruined forever. Ours was just fine.

Thanks for the replies. Yeah I don't want to spend much as I don't travel alot to where I need a suitcase. I'd say twice a year and one of them out of the country. But at the same time I want it to last as well.
If you want cheap, Samsonite or American Tourister. For a couple of trips a year, these should last pretty well for you. On the other hand, I found some cheap London Fog which I had for years.
I have a Travelpro set which have been in use for over 10 years. Except for the emblem getting yanked off by some viscous luggage handler, they all survive well. Travelpro, Tumi, and Delsey are on the high end of expensive though you can find deals there as well.
PS: Mine were gifts.

Back