Kids and flying

I'm still waiting for Wayne to get that donated G-IV - been almost 12 hours now. Wonder if I can get a single pilot exemption - I'm sure the FAA and insurance would go for that with 0 jet time and 50 turbine time.

Oh, but after talking last night we'd also accept a G-II or a Lear 23/24/25 so long as the P&I were good.

Last edited:
What is your hearing protection of choice?
exposure time. Per our audiologist neighbor's advice we limited time to 2 hours per day with at least a day in between. He also advised we were likely to do more harm than good if we tried putting things in the infant's ears or clamping something on her head.

exposure time. Per our audiologist neighbor's advice we limited time to 2 hours per day with at least a day in between. He also advised we were likely to do more harm than good if we tried putting things in the infant's ears or clamping something on her head.

Something to consider. Thank you.

We were/are doing long trips, so we use Em's for Bubs. It's a soft velcro headband with ear cups (see above picture). 22 decibel passive noise reduction. Priced @ $25.

I used to take both of my girls flying. It's fun for you and them. Let me offer this advice though. Always keep a slow decent with young ones on board. 1000' fpm or more may not bother you, but it can cause them some pain. Keep it at 500'fpm.

It's been 22 years, so my memory may not be the best, but we basically put a bonnet/hat that covered their ears and put some extra cloth in on the sides and made sure they were snuggled in their car seats well.

It's not like my Bonanza was that noisy in the 1st place.

Of all the airplanes I ever owned… it was by far the quietest. It was actually possible to have a normal conversation at cruise settings

I used to take both of my girls flying. It's fun for you and them. Let me offer this advice though. Always keep a slow decent with young ones on board. 1000' fpm or more may not bother you, but it can cause them some pain. Keep it at 500'fpm.

Yep

I cruise climbed, and let down way out… probably less than 500 ft./m

We also made sure they were sucking on their pacifiers.

I don't recall ever having one have a painful flight

My wife's been sitting in back with the baby (I can't nurse him) and I know it's not particularly fun for her. I've heard this as the reason for many people upgrading to a cabin class - makes the spouse happier.

Logged some 5.5-6 hrs of xc over the July 4th weekend going to the Keys and visiting my folks. Kid and wife did great.
Major new experience - I get to say "Flight attendants cross check doors for departure" :D

I wish cabin class was an option :) Maybe one day

I wish cabin class was an option :) Maybe one day

It has its positives, but it also has a lot of negatives. Plus, bigger airplanes are often less fun to fly. The 310 we fly (an N model) is definitely more fun to fly than even a 310R. The Navajo was absolutely a truck. It was fun in its own way, but not for being sporty.

The real cool part about cabin class is flying something big and having the extra goodies like turbos and/or pressurization. However, the 310 we fly has way better OEI performance than the Navajo, and looking at the numbers also better than a 340-421.

If I'd had the wherewithall while my kids were young, they'd have been flying with me at age 2 months.
I think I was about 2 or 3 months old on my first airplane ride to grandmas house.
They stuck me on the package tray in the V-77 and off we went. As I got older I got bigger, and so did my sisters, so Dad got a T-50 to haul us around in.

Back