How is this not Screaming Page 1 News?!? -- Helicopter Makes Forced Landing on Hudson

DJTorrente

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
DJTorrente
NYC tour helicopter loses power -- pilot deploys inflatable skid floats* and makes a successful forced landing on the Hudson. Everyone alive! $500k chopper headed for repairs, not scrap.

*Emergency Inflatable Skid Floats -- Booyah to the company that made them; even better to the tour operator for installing them!

No blood, no [media] love.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/...udson-river-new-york-20130630,0,3521403.story

Well done, Capt. Campbell.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/hero-hudson-helicopter-pilot-dreamed-flying-article-1.1386679

Re: How is this not Screaming Page 1 News?!? -- Helicopter Makes Forced Landing on Hu

Story I saw was headlined: "HELICOPTER CRASH LANDS IN HUDSON"

Re: How is this not Screaming Page 1 News?!? -- Helicopter Makes Forced Landing on Hu

Wow...didn't even know that inflatable helicopter floats was even a thing!

Story I saw was headlined: "HELICOPTER CRASH LANDS IN HUDSON"

:rofl:

News....how typical.

I think the inflatable skid floats are pretty common in helicopters frequently used over and around water. The pilot did a great job, didn't panic and used his equipment. I saw one news story comparing it to the Miracle on the Hudson, I think that's a stretch, but good job!:D

The local NYC TV stations are trying to make a much bigger thing out of it than it was, and the young pilot is so laid back and casual about the whole thing it's making the news media crazy.
His first phone call was to his GRANDMOTHER so she wouldn't worry, and even she won't give the press a news-worthy sound bite.
I'm surprised they haven't done an animated re-creation showing the carnage that could have occurred if "things had gone differently" (a phrase one news reporter actually used).
I love watching the media writhing in frustration.

Glenn

NYC tour helicopter loses power -- pilot deploys inflatable skid floats* and makes a successful forced landing on the Hudson. Everyone alive! $500k chopper headed for repairs, not scrap.

*Emergency Inflatable Skid Floats -- Booyah to the company that made them; even better to the tour operator for installing them!

No blood, no [media] love.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/...udson-river-new-york-20130630,0,3521403.story

Well done, Capt. Campbell.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/hero-hudson-helicopter-pilot-dreamed-flying-article-1.1386679

Every few years there's an incident on the Hudson or the East River. Kudos to the pilot who did a great job putting it down safely.

And your cost for the helicopter might be a bit off! It's more like $2.5 million: http://www.classg.com/turbine-helec...-Helicopter/2009-Bell-Helicopter-206L-4/10982 .

Most of the helicopters here either have popout floats or are twin-engine machines. Also, most machines here carry PFDs for the pax.

I put together a recording on LiveATC: http://www.liveatc.net/forums/atcav...dson-river-helo-in-water-(new-york-5-n405mr)/ (registration required)

Wasn't news because the pilot is probably a republican, tax paying, god-fearing American. The liberal media hates people like that no matter what extraordinary things they do.

Autorotations to water was something I used to enjoy, I don't know how stable those emergency floats are but if you touch with zero lateral motion and on a river with little or no swell it would be pretty much a non event. Our machines, (HH52A & HH3F), were built for water landings, and pretty stable even in moderate swells.

Wasn't news because the pilot is probably a republican, tax paying, god-fearing American. The liberal media hates people like that no matter what extraordinary things they do.

Way to meaningfully add to the conversation. :nono:

Don't be too harsh on him, he isn't far off the mark.
When I left the NY Guard at the end of May, after my 4th stint in uniform over the course of 40 years, The local paper sent a reporter to HQ to interview me. When she found out I was a white, patriotic, conservative, gun toting, Missouri Synod-Lutheran pastor (and a Vietnam vet, to boot), she told me right to my face. "No important paper in the lower Hudson Valley will touch this interview."

Don't be too harsh on him, he isn't far off the mark.
When I left the NY Guard at the end of May, after my 4th stint in uniform over the course of 40 years, The local paper sent a reporter to HQ to interview me. When she found out I was a white, patriotic, conservative, gun toting, Missouri Synod-Lutheran pastor (and a Vietnam vet, to boot), she told me right to my face. "No important paper in the lower Hudson Valley will touch this interview."
Sometimes you guys get really weird in a sad kind of way. WTF

Actually his post does attempt to answer the question in the subject line. So on that basis it seems topical and meaningful. Whether it is a valid answer - I don't know. If Sculley was tax dodger, Democrat, atheist, or an illegal alien then perhaps one of those factors was why he was treated as a hero by the media.

Or it could be that a helicopter losing power in those circumstances is expected to yield a happy outcome more often than not, while a passenger jet - not so much.

Actually his post does attempt to answer the question in the subject line. So on that basis it seems topical and meaningful. Whether it is a valid answer - I don't know. If Sculley was tax dodger, Democrat, atheist, or an illegal alien then perhaps one of those factors was why he was treated as a hero by the media.

Or it could be that a helicopter losing power in those circumstances is expected to yield a happy outcome more often than not, while a passenger jet - not so much.
FWIW, the first I heard of this incident was on one of today's national news broadcast. Then I read about it here.

Seems like it was national news if not 'front page' news. Seems to qualify for hero status per the links.

It may have been overlooked yesterday due to the 19 hero firefighters that died in AZ.

Autorotations to water was something I used to enjoy, I don't know how stable those emergency floats are but if you touch with zero lateral motion and on a river with little or no swell it would be pretty much a non event. Our machines, (HH52A & HH3F), were built for water landings, and pretty stable even in moderate swells.

A helicopter went down outside the Golden Gate Bridge a few years back and popped the floats. It stayed upright long enough for the Coast Guard to get there and tow it back to shore. The waves out there are usually pretty good, so it surprised me it stayed upright.

I thought the story was covered quite well in the news. Saw it several times on the morning news shows and Kelly and Mike covered it on their show. Several cases of over water autos where floats were deployed and everyone made it out safe. It happens and that's what they train for over and over.

Why is it not screaming page 1 news, because you know the line, "if it bleeds, it leads". Doesn't apply here, which is a good thing, IMO.

This kind of situation is the reason I want to take a HUET course.

HUET is valuable training; although, I'm quite happy I won't be doing it this year.

Back