Commercial write-up

dell30rb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ren
I took (and passed :wink2:) the Commercial ASEL checkride Tuesday and just got around to sending a write-up for my flying club to use.

Commercial ASEL Checkride 6/25/13

The checkride started with the usual paperwork, pulling up IACRA, handing over the endorsements, medical, pilot's certificate and photo ID. I had a print-out of the aeronautical experience requirements and had noted on the experience requirements page the flights that met them. He reviewed the document and did not scrutinize my logbook. Don't forget to have your FTN and IACRA login information handy. Oh, and the $$ (examiner's fee) too.

I sat at the examiner's desk as he pulled up the latest PTS on his computer. After explaining the parts about how the checkride was to be conducted, discontinuances, examiner and PIC responsibility, the oral basically consisted of him going down the PTS and asking questions. I was asked about:

Privileges of the commercial certificate, what I needed to exercise those privileges (2nd class medical, photo ID, VFR/IFR Day/Night/Tailwheel Currency, pilot's cert). I was asked to define differences between private and common carriage. Airspace was discussed, I was asked communication/transponder requirements as well as visibility/cloud clearance questions. Weather was brought up, I was asked to decode a METAR, TAF, explain the difference between TAF and Area Forecast. Stages of a Thunderstorm and he asked me what I would do if I were to accidentally fly into a storm or severe turbulence. (Buckle up, Power/Trim for Va, maintain level Attitude)

Aeromedical factors (hypoxia, oxygen requirements, what to do if my passengers were divers) were discussed. Mostly he wanted to see that I knew all of the oxygen requirements.

On to the airplane. I was asked what documents needed to be on board. (AROW) I was asked about AD's, annuals and 100hr inspections. He asked me to open the airplane's logbook and show that I could find the annual inspection. I was asked about weight and balance, I had a copy of the latest W&B from the airplane's POH and showed him a hand-written W&B calculation for our flight. I was asked several system questions, electrical system (24v), how the gear works, where the gear indicators were and what mechanism prevented an accidental gear up on the ground or in flight (airspeed switch and gear horn). What type of engine is in the mooney, how many cylinders, how much oil does it hold, and how much fuel. Is it certified for flight into known icing? No? Does it have any icing protection features? I answered yes, a pilot, pitot heat and alternate air. Control systems? (push-rod) How does the trim work? (moves the entire tail assy).

A few other things: I was asked about "red lines" "yellow areas" and "green areas" and what these mean to a pilot. I answered red lines were never exceed, yellow lines meant "you can be here, but you better know what you're doing" and green lines were normal operation. He further asked about the markings on the airspeed indicator, what Va meant, and asked a few questions about the V speeds on the Mooney.

Stall/Spin awareness: I was asked about a stall, he made sure I understood AoA and also he asked how an airplane got into a spin, and what was the procedure to recover from a spin. (power off, nose down, opposite rudder)

Overall the oral was short, it was basically a 1+ hour rapid fire question-answer session.

"Okay, lets go flying"

He watched while I did the pre-flight. Didn't ask too many questions other than he asked me to explain how I did the preflight as I was doing it. I did the usual and no surprises here.

He explained that I was his passenger and he was hiring me to fly him to Charlotte. (My pre-planned x/c). So I gave him a passenger briefing, how to step into the plane (wing walk please) seat belts, and door operations. I explained what to do if the door popped open in flight, and that in an emergency I may ask him to pop the door open.

I completed my checklist and started up/taxied out normally. He said that I could use a Flow checklist when flying or a paper checklist, but if I used a flow checklist that he wanted me to explain how I did it.

Once in the air, I embarked on my x/c. Started the stopwatch and turned on course. There was a dissipating thunderstorm parked over my first checkpoint, so I explained we were going to have to deviate to the right, around the rain. Before I had to change course, we got lost. Must be some weird electrical problems GPS out, you flew into low visibility. He told me to fly direct to liberty to get my bearings. So I tuned it on the 750's nav radio, switched the cdi over and flew towards liberty VOR.

Once he was satisfied that I knew how to use the VOR, time for maneuvers. These were pretty standard, by the PTS. He said I could choose between a chandelle or lazy 8's as first maneuver. I picked a chandelle. After a clearing turn, away we went. Next was steep turns. Then power on and power off stalls, and slow flight. Slow flight was a bit unorthodox, I was at 4000 feet and he asked me to put the airplane in landing configuration and descend at precisely 70 knots straight ahead. I leveled off at 3000 feet as instructed. He asked how I would make an emergency descent. I explained the mooney POH lists two ways, and I would use either as appropriate. One is a clean descent near Vne, the other is a descent at gear speed with the gear out, flaps up.

Its worth mentioning that the DPE said he would give me several headings and altitudes to fly during the checkride, and he would be judging my ability to be consistent and precise. I felt like this was taking place. Also, worth mentioning that he asks a lot of questions. Not necessarily while you are performing maneuvers, but if he tells you to fly heading 360 and climb and maintain 3000, then starts asking questions, you should not get distracted with the flying (first) and (secondly) do your best to answer. I was asked many systems questions, like emergency gear extension procedures, the old "what does this button do" and to explain how the slaved DG worked. Also some questions about emergency procedures, do you need a landing light, etc...

I was asked to explain the relationship between pivotal altitude and groundspeed, flew some 8's on pylons (I picked the pylons) and then it was time to head back to the airport for landings.

We started with a soft-field landing. He asked what the goal of the soft field landing was (touch down gently on mains with a little power, hold nose off as long as possible). I executed it well and we followed with a soft-field takeoff. Next was the short field landing, he said "50 foot trees at the threshold" so I dragged it in at about 65 knots till the threshold, chopped the power and put the nose down. This is where he threw me a curveball. At short-field landing speed, the mooney is sinking like a rock. Right as I was about to begin the flare (which happens pretty close to the runway at this airspeed) the DPE called for a go-around. So I smoothly but firmly applied power and right rudder, pitching to squeak the stall horn but careful not to stall the airplane. The mains just barely grazed the pavement and we were climbing. Next up was a power-off 180, I nailed it and the checkride was over. Although I was congratulated on a good job, I was sure not to get caught off guard and taxied on the stripe, used my checklist etc...

Hope this can help someone!

tl;dr :D

Cliff notes:

Paperwork
Oral
Flying
Paperwork?

:D

tl;dr :D

Cliff notes:

Paperwork
Oral
Flying
Paperwork?

:D

you got it!

Im sure this is old news to many but I searched POA for these write ups when getting ready for my checkride. So I figured i'd throw my experience into the hat.

you got it!

Im sure this is old news to many but I searched POA for these write ups when getting ready for my checkride. So I figured i'd throw my experience into the hat.

You should read my write up of of my multi-commercial.

Nice write up! I was thinking of getting my commercial by the fall. How many hrs do you currently have?

I took (and passed :wink2:) the Commercial ASEL checkride Tuesday and just got around to sending a write-up for my flying club to use.

Commercial ASEL Checkride 6/25/13

Good job....I read it, thank you.

Nice write up! I was thinking of getting my commercial by the fall. How many hrs do you currently have?

400. For what it's worth, took me about 5 hours of flying and about 5 hours of ground instruction to get signed off, not counting the prerequisite experience requirements. I probably spent 25 hours studying on my own. And another hour practicing maneuvers on my own. I did it in a month and a half.

I think it wen't like this:

Lesson 1 - Two hour mock oral exam. Identified weak areas and started studying on my own during the week.

Lesson 2 - Had to shore up the one remaining requirement, a 2 hour dual night cross country.

Lesson 3-4-5 - Maneuvers/landings with the instructor.

Lesson 6 - an hour of oral prep and written test review.

Lesson 7 - Mock Checkride

Lesson 8 - Review written and get sign-off.

Lesson 9 - (day before checkride) One hour solo flying and subsequent cramming for the checkride

Good write up and congrats Ren! So, what are you going to DO with it? Get a SAC card and fly airshows in the Cub? :)

Last edited:
Good write up and congrats Ren! So, what are you going to DO with it? Get a SAC and fly airshows in the Cub? :)

Unless you are referring to the balls needed to fly an airshow i'm unfamiliar with the term SAC :rofl:

Not really sure what to do with it... I know my options are pretty limited! However I have a little aerial survey project and I was thinking when I have more tailwheel hours I might could ferry planes. Cubs and stuff

Unless you are referring to the balls needed to fly an airshow i'm unfamiliar with the term SAC :rofl:

Oh yeah, that too. Statement of Aerobatic Competancy from a designated ACE (aerobatic competancy evaluator). Any fool can get one. :)

Congrats! Your writeup makes it sound so easy! :cheers:

Congrats! Your checkride sounds a lot different than my commercial was, but not in a bad way, just showing how different the examiners can be. Congrats again!

Back