Anyone flown to KCUT (custer county SD)

Jthamilton

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Okie182
My little girl is wanting to see Mount Rushmore. So i am planning on taking the family up July 5th, coming home next day. Trip relatively short at 1 hour and 30 minutes.

Anyone have any words of wisdom or knowledge of the area? Was going to rent a car from local dealership if able.

I was there a couple years ago and remember the people at the FBO being friendly and helpful. We didn't rent a car since we were only there for a few hours but they let us borrow a car to go into town for lunch. They probably would be able to arrange a rental given some notice, though.

Anyone have any words of wisdom or knowledge of the area? Was going to rent a car from local dealership if able.

Take the extra time and take Hwy 16 EAST from Custer, then North on 16/16A through Custer State Park and Mt Rushmore National Park. It's beautiful, and you'll almost certainly see herds of buffalo on the trip.

More importantly, that route (known as the Norbeck Scenic Byway) is the way people were meant to come to Rushmore, with tunnels pointing at Rushmore (the tunnel frames the mountain), and lots of amazing scenery and views.
It'll only add about 30 minutes to the day, and it's worth it.

You can take the short way going back......

Take the extra time and take Hwy 16 EAST from Custer, then North on 16/16A through Custer State Park and Mt Rushmore National Park. It's beautiful, and you'll almost certainly see herds of buffalo on the trip.

More importantly, that route (known as the Norbeck Scenic Byway) is the way people were meant to come to Rushmore, with tunnels pointing at Rushmore (the tunnel frames the mountain), and lots of amazing scenery and views.
It'll only add about 30 minutes to the day, and it's worth it.

You can take the short way going back......

Noted, thanks for the great recomendation!

Noted, thanks for the great recomendation!
Example:
mt-rushmore-thru-tunnel.jpg

Much worth the trip.
Another:
stock-photo-12358519-mt-rushmore-tunnel.jpg

If you can't find a rental car in Custer, you may have to go to KRAP. They've got rental cars and can get hotel rooms pretty reasonable IIRC.

The guy at the FBO is the greatest. If you fly by Rushmore and Crazy Horse keep chatting on the radio. There are lots of helicopters etc. around and hard to see. Devils Tower nearby is cool too.
Have fun!

Last edited:
Once, riding in a 172, quick fuel stop before heading back to SPF

The new (ok, 5 years or more by now) managers have great reviews and reps here and on airnav. I grew up there and still have family there still so I usually sneak in and out without needing anything or talking to anyone at the FBO so can't speak from personal experience.
I love the Black Hills and get back there every chance I can.
Bunch of things to see if you have to time:
Mt Rushmore
Custer state park and wildlife loop road
Game lodge
Needles highway
Jewel cave
Spearfish canyon
Ellsworth AFB museum
Mammoth digs
Crazy horse monument
Flintstone village - for little kids
Scott's rock shop

Last edited:
I was there about 2 months ago - great spot. Go east and visit Custer state park and up to spearfish too. Don't forget devils tower

I went there last month. Still trying to organize all the pictures. Do yourself and family a favor, make it a multi-day trip. There is too much to see and do in only a day.

I went there last month. Still trying to organize all the pictures. Do yourself and family a favor, make it a multi-day trip. There is too much to see and do in only a day.

No doubt, it seems that I may have underestimated the area a little! I originally intended on going through the black hills on the families pilrimage to OSH. I am considering changing this to spend couple days at the dells instead. With Rushmore area being just a short hop from Craig, CO we may break it up into several trips.

Thanks everyone for the great ideas. Duncan, glad to hear the refuel was a good one:yesnod:

3000 feet over the park, last I recall....best to check it out. They were really really tiny at that range.....

I seem to remember getting closer and lower than that. I also remember KRAP's departure controller being a real dick about me being over there too...

Either way, I got some decent pictures out of the deal, and some memories that I'll always have with me - I recommend flying there and visiting from the ground if you can.

2000ft is the recommendation - and it is just a request - plenty close

Get a smaller tail #

Just did my outlook briefing for flight, all is good. Kids and myself quite excited.

I'm pretty anxious to show them a different view of the mountains around here! Right now everyone is cutting hay anything pastures look like artwork.

The guy at the FBO is the greatest. If you fly by Rushmore and Crazy Horse keep chatting on the radio. There are lots of helicopters etc. around and hard to see. Devils Tower nearby is cool too.
Have fun!

we're on 123.3

and yes to staying 2000 feet above rushmore, us helichopper guys gots special permissions

also, there is a good chance if one our guys doesn't take down your tail number the park rangers will :yesnod:

we're on 123.3

and yes to staying 2000 feet above rushmore, us helichopper guys gots special permissions

also, there is a good chance if one our guys doesn't take down your tail number the park rangers will :yesnod:

And do what with it?

And do what with it?

What do you think, do you need me to draw you a picture ?

better yet... why on this green earth would you want to unnecessarily risk our customers and pilots lives just so you can get a better look at ol' George ?

do you know the exact routes we are using ? altitudes ? if I didn't post it here did you even know what freq we are on ?

gee, I wonder why KRAP's controller was a dick, you're degree in rocket surgery must look good on your wall :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Interesting, so I can't fly within 2000 feet which I respect so we can keep the integrity of the monument and is peaceful bliss.

But wait except for the quiet helicopters with special permission to fly around. Sounds pretty damn stupid to me! :mad2:

I'm sitting in my car about to park and enjoy seeing and hearing 2 heli's fly by in last 10 minutes.

2000ft is a REQUEST - no more no less. The NPS has no regulatory authority to do anything more than make a phone call - which you can do - but until special use airspace is defined and put on the chart that phone call doesn't mean much. And 2000ft it pretty hard for someone on the ground to judge, and still pretty hard to judge from another aircraft - especially one below. I'm not advocating people violate the request - just pointing out what you should already know - that there no substative requirement or permission required there. People shouldn't be circling at 500AGL unless they just want to test this or force the FAA to go the way of the Grand Canyon - but a single pass flying over is very reasonable sightsee operation. 2000ft over the terrain puts you pretty close to the rocks. There's no airspace to bust if you inadvertantly drop a little below - or god forbid your altimeter might be a little off cause it was built in say the 1930s.

You PICs in the concession choppers need to realize:

a) the airspace is ours to share - not only for you - we have as much right to be in the air as any commercial operation - more so probably

b) people are still allowed to fly NORDO so you better be comfortable with normal mountain flying ops and see/avoid no matter where you are

I have no problem avoiding wilderness areas, protected and sensitive religous areas, or wildlife. But to keep us out so you yahoos can fly paying customers within 100ft of ol georges nose ain't right. Mt. Rushmore is a huge tourist trap - not much better than wall drug but with dynamited rock - nothing pristine or wild about it except the number of harleys littering the roads.

I couldn't tell you if the KRAP (funny eh?) controller is a nice person or not - because there's absolutely no need to talk to him/her.

we're on 123.3

:lol::rofl::lol::rofl:............................... Your airspace huh.:dunno::no::nonod:

2000ft is a REQUEST - no more no less. The NPS has no regulatory authority to do anything more than make a phone call

Be extremely careful with that line of thinking. There are some areas where you CAN get slapped with a very large fine (think 5 digits) for flying too low.
Many federal agencies do have the ability to fine for violating their regulations (not FAA regulations). If they have a reg prohibiting certain things, they can take enforcement action through their enforcement procedures.

Yeah, I know, it's not charted, FAA has primacy on airspace issues, etc etc, but you'll spend a LOT of money on lawyers trying to fight it.

Last edited:
Back