Camping in California

cocolos

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
cocolos
I am looking for a place to camp in California for the 4th of July weekend. Anyone have some good suggestions? I'd like there to be some hood hiking trails possibly fishing?

KSAC, my old home field. You a student at one of the flight schools there? I will only give this spot away to local aviators but Upper Letts Lake is a killer little lake in the mendocino forest. about 2.5 hours from sac. Its first come first serve so for a weekend like the 4th you would want to get there on a thurs or friday morning to get a spot. Great trout fishing, dont know about trails but they are around.

I actually have not used any of the instructors at SAC just one out of EDU and AUN. Thanks I'll check it out and see what's around there.

EDIT: I also was hoping to find a place where I would be able to fly into (not a must but ideally I'd like to fly )

Last edited:
There are a number of airports that allow camping on the field. Closest to you would probably be Columbia. One that looks really good (when the marine layer clears) is Oceano.

You recently had a mountain checkout, right? Maybe fly into Big Bear. Morning only, this time of year.

One of these days, I want to check out M45 (Alpine County), but there appears to be absolutely nothing there.

Last edited:
There are a number of airports that allow camping on the field. Closest to you would probably be Columbia. One that looks really good (when the marine layer clears) is Oceano.

You recently had a mountain checkout, right? Maybe fly into Big Bear. Morning only, this time of year.

Yea I did. Yep I would have to leave really early specially since I might be near gross. Might be better to head to to Coast or low sierras like Columbia.

georgetown has campsites on the field as well. I trained through commercial at skywalk at ksac...they are good people and not out to just get your money.

Oh there is Gravelly Valley 1Q5 if you can do a dirt strip. It is along lake pillsbury and there are campsites as well.

If you're going to Columbia, check on the fire status outside Yosemite. Columbia is used for fire tankers in summer, and that could be distressingly noisy.

Watch DA there as well. It can get pretty hot. Lots of runway, but there is terrain to clear.

One of these days, I want to check out M45 (Alpine County), but there appears to be absolutely nothing there.

You sir, are correct, there is absolutely nothing there.

There's an airport south east of Fresno that is along a river. it's just up in the foothills. try google earth on a few strips around there and you'll see the one I'm describing. very nice place to fly in, camp, fish etc.
Kern Valley, I think....

Last edited:
Kern has camping, but I haven't tried it. If you are willing to rent a car, there are lots of places out of Redding (Burney Falls and such). If you can get into Eureka they have cars on the field and Humboldt is a half hour drive (I camped there for a 1/2 marathon once). I have camped at Oceano and it is walking distance to Pismo. I have flown to Georgetown a few times and hiked around. I don't think I would camp there. I have camped at LLR (had Rex drive me to the camp spot, but the good ones have to be reserved well at advance). Pine Mountain Lake has camping about two miles from the field, but no transportation. I have done day trips and and walked or biked it. If you want to try to get a fly in together (with camping) I might be interested.

Big Bear! L35

219510_1806790542080_6182711_o.jpg

Kern has camping, but I haven't tried it. If you are willing to rent a car, there are lots of places out of Redding (Burney Falls and such). If you can get into Eureka they have cars on the field and Humboldt is a half hour drive (I camped there for a 1/2 marathon once). I have camped at Oceano and it is walking distance to Pismo. I have flown to Georgetown a few times and hiked around. I don't think I would camp there. I have camped at LLR (had Rex drive me to the camp spot, but the good ones have to be reserved well at advance). Pine Mountain Lake has camping about two miles from the field, but no transportation. I have done day trips and and walked or biked it. If you want to try to get a fly in together (with camping) I might be interested.

Cool thanks! So many places to choose from. Fly in would be pretty neat where to though?!

EDIT: Should we start a thread about it or post on the eternel norcal fly-in page?

Last edited:
Cool thanks! So many places to choose from. Fly in would be pretty neat where to though?!

EDIT: Should we start a thread about it or post on the eternel norcal fly-in page?

Yeah, post it to the Eternal page. This last minute, the choices will be limited. Trinity is supposed to be a little tricky (surrounded by terrain), but I would be game. Kern is a bit of a haul, but might be fun. If we fly into Redding, we could probably carpool from there. Eureka gets fogged in a lot, so will be iffy, though Humboldt is worth the trip. KFOT is closer to Humboldt and inland, but when I tried to get a rental car there, I failed. Camping on the field is pretty much Columbia, Georgetown, Kern and Oceano, from my research.

Yeah, post it to the Eternal page. This last minute, the choices will be limited. Trinity is supposed to be a little tricky (surrounded by terrain), but I would be game. Kern is a bit of a haul, but might be fun. If we fly into Redding, we could probably carpool from there. Eureka gets fogged in a lot, so will be iffy, though Humboldt is worth the trip. KFOT is closer to Humboldt and inland, but when I tried to get a rental car there, I failed. Camping on the field is pretty much Columbia, Georgetown, Kern and Oceano, from my research.

Yea let me update those that are coming along with me and I'll post on the Eternal page in a sec.

add gravely valley to onsite camping. (mendocino nat forest)

add gravely valley to onsite camping. (mendocino nat forest)

Agreed, but most CA rentals don't allow unpaved landings and those of us with wheel pants may not want to fly there. I do want to eventually try it, but I need to take off e wheel fairings first.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Agreed, but most CA rentals don't allow unpaved landings and those of us with wheel pants may not want to fly there. I do want to eventually try it, but I need to take off e wheel fairings first.

that is the bummer of renting.

Are you wanting to fly in or just camp? Cause if you just want a good campsite, I would say that there are almost infinite good places to pitch a tent and see some awesomeness in the great state of CA......possibly one of its best qualities IMHO.

Are you wanting to fly in or just camp? Cause if you just want a good campsite, I would say that there are almost infinite good places to pitch a tent and see some awesomeness in the great state of CA......possibly one of its best qualities IMHO.

Heh heh heh, yeah the local Gentleman's club is a great place to pitch a tent!!!

plenty of camping in North Beach :rofl:

So you know the naked beach just North of the Devil's Slide right? Gray Whale Cove? Ewww don't go there. Old naked dudes with their nutsacks flopping about.

So you know the naked beach just North of the Devil's Slide right? Gray Whale Cove? Ewww don't go there. Old naked dudes with their nutsacks flopping about.

I dont know that beach, I was just referring to the 10 or so strip clubs in the area. good for pitching tents:D

There is a good backpacking trail that has a trail head right at Shelter Cove (The California Coastal Trail). It sounds like self permitting at the trail head with no fees (fill out a form). I am putting that on my list for this summer.

There is a good backpacking trail that has a trail head right at Shelter Cove (The California Coastal Trail). It sounds like self permitting at the trail head with no fees (fill out a form). I am putting that on my list for this summer.

That's a great idea. is there camping at shelter cove? if so do you need a permit or something?

EDIT: Just called and reserved a spot! I can't wait.

Last edited:
That's a great idea. is there camping at shelter cove? if so do you need a permit or something?

EDIT: Just called and reserved a spot! I can't wait.

What days did you reserve?

Ok, I booked three nights, arriving on the fourth. I am hoping for no fog, too.

Should be fun apparently they have fireworks over the water. That would be very cool to watch.

Did you go?

I did. Unfortunately we had to drive because we had too much camping gear. It was pretty crazy the first night people were popping fireworks from 4pm to 8am. We were able to sleep but John said he had trouble. Other than that shelter cove was pretty scenic specially the black sand beach. I'd like to go back.

There's a black sand beach at Shelter Cove? I didn't know that. Thanks for the tip.

That's an armtwisting point for my wife....

There's a black sand beach at Shelter Cove? I didn't know that. Thanks for the tip.

That's an armtwisting point for my wife....

There are also tide pools and an old lighthouse, but Black Sand Beach is a special spot.

There are also tide pools and an old lighthouse, but Black Sand Beach is a special spot.

Also that restaurant you went to that's only open on Saturdays?

Also that restaurant you went to that's only open on Saturdays?

They have weird schedules. The one on the North side is Saturday through Wednesday (not Friday) I believe and the one on the South side is Thursday through Sunday, if I remember right. There is also the deli at the campground and the pizza place on the North side.

Back