Vans RV High Wing

txflyer

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Fly it like you STOL it ♦
Anyone got any skinny on Vans offering a high wing bush plane kit?

I hear things ... maybe wishful dreams? ... :wink2:

That would be neat, if they could combine the great RV handling with back-woods/off-road capabilities.

Now, make it out of carbon fiber, and put it on floats. That's what I want, so I can land in the salt water and taxi up onto the beach without worrying about corrosion! :lol:

They continue to surprise me with their offerings. It isn't hard to imagine them using the wings, tail, gear, cowlings, etc from existing products along with a new fuselage to come up with something like that...

Absolutely no point to doing that. Plenty of high wing kits out there now.

OK - there aren't too many homebuilt cantilevered high wing designs (BD-4 only one that comes to mind.) Maybe Vans could look into that type of high wing design.

That would be neat, if they could combine the great RV handling with back-woods/off-road capabilities.

Now, make it out of carbon fiber, and put it on floats. That's what I want, so I can land in the salt water and taxi up onto the beach without worrying about corrosion! :lol:

http://www.gweduc.com/

Ron Wanttaja

The Glassair Sportsman is a very attractive and versatile product IMO.

OK - there aren't too many homebuilt cantilevered high wing designs (BD-4 only one that comes to mind.) Maybe Vans could look into that type of high wing design.

Odds of having headroom in a cantilevered high wing are slim, odds are quite good that the pilot will want to put his head where the carry through is

120 knots? No thank you. :nonod:

When you go off airport do it right.

http://www.cubcrafters.com/carboncubss

25 gallons of fuel? No thank you. :nonod:

Make me a two place flying Jeep, faster than a 185 with as much range. One that's float ready, tundra ready, STOL, tri-gear ready, maybe fowler flaps,:confused: get that stall down to zero ;):D....throw in a reversible prop! Yeah! :yes::D;) Screw that, while we're dreaming, make it a VTOL. :hairraise:

I can still dream like a youngster ... :rolleyes::wink2:

Absolutely gorgeous, but 139kts fast cruise on 600 HP is a bit of a shocker. It looks like a pretty clean design. The tires are almost flush, the engines are tightly cowled and the only strut seems to be a small tail strut. The windshield does seem a bit vertical, and the elevator counterweights are hanging out there pretty good, but still 139 kts on 600 HP is surprising. Might be interesting to see the airflow around the splash rail on the nose and the step on the bottom ... must be some significant drag there.

That said, DANG it looks fun.

This has been rumored for years. Since you can not use experimental for hire it would be of no use to bush pilots.

should be okay if the moose doesn't pay you anything

should be okay if the moose doesn't pay you anything

So you can't even use an experimental aircraft in the backwoods to haul dead moose for hire?

What's that smell? The stench of government stupidity?
:rolleyes:

Perfect second plane! Sign me up. :yes:

This has been rumored for years. Since you can not use experimental for hire it would be of no use to bush pilots.

All bush pilots are not commercial operators, many operate for their own business, trap line, wolf hunting, etc.

If you are serious about going off airport you can do no better than the PA-18-180 CC

but they ain't cheap.
http://www.cubcrafters.com/inventory/N127DT

Last edited:
Do self flying guides need 135 certs? They shouldn't even need commercial tickets the flying is incidental to the fishing...
Yeah I know we need rules to protect the chlidren

Do self flying guides need 135 certs? They shouldn't even need commercial tickets the flying is incidental to the fishing...

If they meet you at the lake and help you fish then sure, but if they carry a passenger of cargo things change

Do self flying guides need 135 certs?

No, the flying is incidental to the hunting trip that was sold. same same as the fishing trips.

They shouldn't even need commercial tickets the flying is incidental to the fishing...

Most are camp owners, or their families.

Back