Hair color discrepancy

U

Unregistered

My hair is somewhere between blond and brown, which creates some ambiguity in how to describe it on official paperwork. I just noticed that my driver's license says blond, while my pilot certificate and medical certificate say brown. Since I have a medical exam coming up, I presume that I can just put blond on the medical history form to make my medical certificate agree with my driver's license, but what's involved in changing it on my pilot certificate?

I'm pretty sure if you order a replacement certificate (It's only a couple bucks), you will be given the opportunity to update your vital information, including hair color.

If it's even that important. Personally I wouldn't sweat it.

(Note that then it won't match the hair color on your medical certificate until you get another one)

So... wait a second... What about the aviatrixes who might frequently change hair color for vanity? Quite possible to start with mousy brown at the first medical and wind their way through the spectrum and color charts to something that's right out of Japansese manga/anime.

similar problem. At time of last medical hair was "receeding and thinning". Pushing 4 years later it is "virtually nonexistent"

I questioned that last comment when I applied for my last passport ---
STATE said to just put down the color on the enclosed picture -- that most LEOs realize that people change hair color.
My DL says brown, my PPASEL says gray, my passport says blond.

C'Est la Vie

(actual color right now is light golden brown -- basically, a blond)
(but being blond should count for something, too)

I'm pretty sure if you order a replacement certificate (It's only a couple bucks), you will be given the opportunity to update your vital information, including hair color.
Correct. If you go online to get a new certificate you can change hair and weight, but not eye color.

So, the eye color on my pilot certificate still matches what was on my draft card and that is one of those stories about following the rules is more important than getting the correct result.

You are not alone on the hair color thing. I once got a ticket 10 years or so ago. The officer described my hair as dk/brn. Which I took as dark brown. But then again, he described my car as red, when it was clearly hunter green. I thought, isn't this a requirement for officers to not be color blind? of course I let it go. lol

You are not alone on the hair color thing. I once got a ticket 10 years or so ago. The officer described my hair as dk/brn. Which I took as dark brown. But then again, he described my car as red, when it was clearly hunter green. I thought, isn't this a requirement for officers to not be color blind? of course I let it go. lol

Heh. I would have tried to push it in traffic court. Probably wouldn't work, but give "the man" hell.

My hair is Auburn in the summer...brown in the winter...everything says brown...it's just not that important.

At least I don't 'think' it is...

The most recent official application I submitted, I put "blonde" for hair color. The clerk taking the photo and typing the application changed it to "grey". At least she didn't put "not much"

Heh. I would have tried to push it in traffic court. Probably wouldn't work, but give "the man" hell.

I've seen it used to good effect...claimed the officer misidentified the vehicle...the officer agreed...case dismissed.

I watched someone try to get out of a ticket on a technicality like that. The judge was not impressed--it was actually quite breathtaking how quickly the gavel dropped with a guilty verdict. Generally, the cop shows up to court whether you do or not, so the only "man" you're giving hell to is yourself. As always, YMMV.

I watched someone try to get out of a ticket on a technicality like that. The judge was not impressed--it was actually quite breathtaking how quickly the gavel dropped with a guilty verdict. Generally, the cop shows up to court whether you do or not, so the only "man" you're giving hell to is yourself. As always, YMMV.
I've seen the opposite, the cop never shows up.

Must be a regional thing. In my younger years (i.e. > 7 years ago), I managed to rack up a fair number of tickets--about one every year or so. I went to court on each and every one, and never had a cop go no-show. I did sit in attendance for another defendent whose wreckless driving charge was continued because the officer was sick that day, so a no show is not a guarantee that your ticket will be dropped. That said, most judges will throw out minor moving violations like speeding or failure to obey a sign.

Not around here. A former cop friend told me why- The cop is getting paid to be there, sometimes at overtime pay, and the court always schedules the tickets where he has been asked to appear together in batches. The day's docket always puts these cases first, so the cop isn't waiting around. He shows up, all of his cases line up one after another, then he is done.

He also really loved stepping into the courtroom and seeing the look on people's faces that assumed he would not be there.

Hubby's hair was black when he got his first certificate. I doubt that he has changed the certificate to say "white" yet. Don't want to bring it up as a topic of conversation, either.

Must be a regional thing. In my younger years (i.e. > 7 years ago), I managed to rack up a fair number of tickets--about one every year or so. I went to court on each and every one, and never had a cop go no-show. I did sit in attendance for another defendent whose wreckless driving charge was continued because the officer was sick that day, so a no show is not a guarantee that your ticket will be dropped. That said, most judges will throw out minor moving violations like speeding or failure to obey a sign.

I saw a funny case awhile ago: Guy with a heavy African accent got a ticket for speeding. Judge was ready to let him go for a technicality but oddly asked him about his record. The defendant claimed, "I...I...I'm not sure". A voice from the Officer's bench yelled out, "It's horrible, your honor!"

Judge: "How many points do you have"
Defendant: "I...I...I don't know"
Voice yelled from side: "He has 8 points your Honor" (revocation is 9 IIRC)
Judge: "Oh really, what for?"
Voice: "All speeding your Honor!"
Judge: "What do you have to say about that?"
Defendant: "I need my license for work. I drive for a living. In fact I'm about to attend a driving class next week."
Judge: "I need to see you back here in 1 month with your class certificate and then we'll talk about this ticket."
Case posponed. BANG!

And this judge was in a good mood before this guy (LOL).

In college, driving for a company, I was awarded a speeding ticket, described as driving a '74 Blue Ford Mavrick. I was really in a new '76 Red Chevy Wagon.

I challenged in traffic court, the State Trooper that issued the ticket had to appear. The judge ordered the Trooper to verify the registration, color, make and model. He came back with information and asked to amend the ticket.

Judge said no, through out the ticket and reamed the Trooper a new one.

similar problem. At time of last medical hair was "receeding and thinning". Pushing 4 years later it is "virtually nonexistent"

It's about time to change mine from Black to Silver. :hairraise: :yesnod:

Here's my first medical from the 90's. I keep it around for sentimental reasons. Check out the circled section. Looks like i've got some LONG hair!

Says Height: Blonde
Hair: 72":confused:

Attachments

• first_cert.jpg
    first_cert.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 354
Here's my first medical from the 90's. I keep it around for sentimental reasons. Check out the circled section. Looks like i've got some LONG hair!

Says Height: Blonde
Hair: 72":confused:

Is this a photo of you?
tumblr_mcbsk0O7MD1rqbdjwo1_500.jpg

My medical certificate from 7/10/91 doesn't include any address. And they scratched out a height of 61 and put in 69.

Other slightly unusual thing is that the AME I went to was a D.O., not an M.D.

Is this a photo of you?
tumblr_mcbsk0O7MD1rqbdjwo1_500.jpg

My medical certificate from 7/10/91 doesn't include any address. And they scratched out a height of 61 and put in 69.

Other slightly unusual thing is that the AME I went to was a D.O., not an M.D.

Nice!:lol:

Also, there were some interesting rumors about that doc. One of them was, at some point, the faa stopped giving him numbered forms in an attempt to stop him from doing more medicals without having to do something drastic. That was a rumor but, unless the form used on mine was newer and changed by the faa, I now wonder if it could have, in fact, been an older format. I may never know. lol

Last edited:
When I got my authorization for the DC-3, my pilot certificate said I had brown hair and the medical said black. They said they didn't care which I chose as long as it matched. It was easier to go over to the FSDO and get a new pilot certificate.

Early in my career I changed my hair color almost as much as I changed my mind. I took several checkrides during that time where my medical, pilot cert, drivers license and actual hair color were never the same at any given time. It never mattered.

Laurie, Ted is using your user name again.

Early in my career I changed my hair color almost as much as I changed my mind. I took several checkrides during that time where my medical, pilot cert, drivers license and actual hair color were never the same at any given time. It never mattered.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back