What is being Cancelled?

benb172

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Benb172
What is not going to happen at Air venture because of the sequester? What is being cancelled?

What is not going to happen at Air venture because of the sequester? What is being cancelled?

According to the airventure website, nothing as of this timestamp.

As far as the military is concerned all PR flying (airshows, etc.) is gone. Other than the a few Harrier demos and an occasional fly by there is precious little of that at AirVenture to begin with. According to the guidelines, local STATIC displays are allowed. My wife (who runs the outside activities at the Smithsonian Become a Pilot Day) was hoping that she could still get the Static displays of things like the HMX1 (which only come from 20 miles away or so), but it looks like as of current they are not. This means that the EAA may miss out on having a C17 on the ramp or whatever they had in the past.

Of course, they can always suck up to Art Noll and get his privately owned Harrier again (they had it a couple of years ago).

The Harrier routine is still the best act of the show.

As far as the military is concerned all PR flying (airshows, etc.) is gone. Other than the a few Harrier demos and an occasional fly by there is precious little of that at AirVenture to begin with. According to the guidelines, local STATIC displays are allowed. My wife (who runs the outside activities at the Smithsonian Become a Pilot Day) was hoping that she could still get the Static displays of things like the HMX1 (which only come from 20 miles away or so), but it looks like as of current they are not. This means that the EAA may miss out on having a C17 on the ramp or whatever they had in the past.

Of course, they can always suck up to Art Noll and get his privately owned Harrier again (they had it a couple of years ago).

Well it's certainly the noisiest, but after you've seen it the first dozen times, there are more interesting things to watch.

Yep, Art is scheduled to demo the Harrier at OSH again this year.

I had heard somewhere that a lot of the antique military aircraft will be missing as well, do to a flap with the EAA.

I had heard somewhere that a lot of the antique military aircraft will be missing as well, do to a flap with the EAA.

Meh. We hear that every year. It's always the same crap.

1. Rich antique aircraft owner demands free fuel to "appear" at AirVenture.
2. EAA tells them to go pound salt.
3. Hundreds of cool antiques show up, while rich guy stays home and pouts.

It's why we haven't seen an ME-262 yet, and why we probably won't see the Mosquito.

Personally, I admire EAA's stance. It's a convention and fly-in, not an airshow. Show up, or not.

Are we talking the DH Mosquito? I thought we had that four or five years ago.
I agree with the EAA. Nobody gets paid for appearance (at least not from the EAA). They have to work out that with external sponsors or just eat it.

Meh. We hear that every year. It's always the same crap.

1. Rich antique aircraft owner demands free fuel to "appear" at AirVenture.
2. EAA tells them to go pound salt.
3. Hundreds of cool antiques show up, while rich guy stays home and pouts.

It's why we haven't seen an ME-262 yet, and why we probably won't see the Mosquito.

Personally, I admire EAA's stance. It's a convention and fly-in, not an airshow. Show up, or not.

what??? I thought EAA stood for Enormous Airshow Association???

floatplane aerobatics are cancelled. My youngest has announced that she's "too old to go to the kiddie tent this year"

Attachments

• acting out the airshow.jpg
    acting out the airshow.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 34

I love the Harrier routine, but I think for sheer beauty, it is hard to top the night-time aero show, especially the jet-powered glider.

Heritage Flights? I will miss those.

Actually, they will continue. Just without the "modern" Air Force/Navy planes represented.

Which, many years, meant a 40-year-old F-16 flying with a 70 year old P-51. Drop the F-16, add a 60 year old F-86, and IMHO you've got a BETTER "Heritage Flight". YMMV.

Actually, they will continue. Just without the "modern" Air Force/Navy planes represented.

Which, many years, meant a 40-year-old F-16 flying with a 70 year old P-51. Drop the F-16, add a 60 year old F-86, and IMHO you've got a BETTER "Heritage Flight". YMMV.

Why not add a red RV-8a? :dunno:

;)

Back