2013, So who is going ?

Will fly into Racine Saturday two ship, meet up with another friend and his plane and spend the night.

The three of us will then leave early Sunday morning for the 30 min flight into OSH to beat the crowds in. Have done this 3 times before, and there is usually very little traffic going in early Sunday...

Tom

Keep up the good work
:D
When I say SHE is interested in something faster, I mean that my subtle suggestions that a faster plane would be advantageous have taken root. :yes:

Take some extra money for cab fare. After the campers are all asleep, sneak over to the hotel and get some sleep. Then ride back over early the next morning and walk back to the tent while pretending that you've been to the campground porta-shower.

Tom enjoyed that comment! :D

I will be flying in from KMHK on Sunday. I plan on departing Wednesday. It would be nice if I could get a little extra time off from work so I may leave on Thursday. I really would like to see the night air show.

Looks like I'm plugging the new book on Wednesday. Thankfully, my only commitment for my time there.

I'm starting to make plans to attend. I've never been before even though I've been flying 10 years now. I'm looking forward to it. I'm not much of a camper but I'm planning on camping with my son for a few days. It's only a couple of hour flight for me and I was thinking about coming up early on Sunday morning. Can anyone comment on how busy the arrivals are on Sunday morning?

I'm starting to make plans to attend. I've never been before even though I've been flying 10 years now. I'm looking forward to it. I'm not much of a camper but I'm planning on camping with my son for a few days. It's only a couple of hour flight for me and I was thinking about coming up early on Sunday morning. Can anyone comment on how busy the arrivals are on Sunday morning?

I've found that it depends a lot on the weather as to how crowded the North 40 is on the weekend before the show opens, Jeff... I usually start stalking the GA parking hotline number to see how the trends are going before I decide if I have a chance getting in there or if I need to leave on Saturday. Right now, I'm planning on a Sunday departure too... It would be fun to fly together if you'd like that... We'd end up parking in the same row if we did. :D

That sounds good to me Lynn. Maybe we can get together prior to that to review things and you can get me up to speed on what to expect?

That sounds good to me Lynn. Maybe we can get together prior to that to review things and you can get me up to speed on what to expect?

Rock your wings and welcome to the party! :D The experience of flying in to OSH (and Sun 'n Fun) is never quite the same year to year and has always been a memorable and fun time for me. The first time I flew in (as PIC) was in 1998, also the first year for the name "AirVenture". You're going to love OSH! :yes:

OSH 2009 mini-album.

Last edited:
We are flying or driving from California, dependent on a whole bunch of variables. Getting there noonish on Sunday.

Monday morning forum at 11:30. Y'all come, y-hear?

Departing Thursday morning after the Wednesday night HOPS party. That may not be the best decision in the world.

Jim

Avionics for Pennies? Sounds like a really cool presentation.

About 20 years ago I was at an RF Circuit Design show presenting right after an HP engineer made his presentation. As luck would have it, his presentation was on a new noise figure meter that HP was coming out with for a few $grand.

Mine was so similar it wasn't funny, although I used a zener diode and a couple of broadband IC amplifiers from Mini Circuits. Got 99% of the performance for about $10. He was peeved to say the least. (Zener diodes on the knee starved for reverse bias are damned near the noisiest things in the world and if you diddle (ahem, that's heuristically experiment) with them you can get flat excess noise from a couple of hundred kHz. to about a Gig).

I just LOVE doing that sort of stuff ... but sometimes it backfires like Oshkosh about 10 years ago when I showed how to make a generator power supply attachment not knowing that the forum was sponsored by a generator company selling the same thing for roughly 5x what it cost to build mine. They were NOT happy campers. :rofl:

Jim

Last edited:
Going this year but going into Appleton as usual then busing into the show.hope to be three days at the show.would like to try camping the north 40 but am weight restricted so maybe another year for that.

Thinking of taking the 150 which should make for a fun 8 hr flight! Still looking for a passenger who won't mess up the weight and balance so much. Luckily I have a place to stay so no camping gear! Any lightweights out there? Philly area. Hopefully we get a tailwind on the way home.

I'll probably be flying my F-150 in on various days, including the first weekend as I'm a Flightline volunteer. If I'm staying overnight, I.e. Jay's HOPS party, I'll probably stay at UW Oshkosh dorms. It's a pretty good deal.

A friend of mine just decided to go so I'll be hitching a ride with him. We're planning on arriving Wednesday and leaving on Sunday - depending on weather. My buddy wants to camp. I'll plan on camping and pack accordingly but I'd really rather stay in a motel, dorm room, etc. Is there any chance of getting a room this late?
Thanks
Dave

Planning to take my new (to me) Cherokee up, likely early/mid week and leaving on Saturday or Sunday morning. Trying to decide if we should set up in the North 40 or Vintage, any thoughts on that?

David, last I heard there were some hotel rooms available but they were well north of $200, you might want to look into the dorms at U of Wisconsin. The YMCA used to do an indoor camping thing (don't know if they still do).

Planning to take my new (to me) Cherokee up, likely early/mid week and leaving on Saturday or Sunday morning. Trying to decide if we should set up in the North 40 or Vintage, any thoughts on that?

In the Vintage you're sort of part of the show, which is really nice. I found that folks were a lot more into their aircraft, and I really enjoyed camping there.

I myself cannot eat at the show grounds, there really isn't anything for me, and even if there were I'm not a fan of financial anal rapage. I tend to camp in the North 40 because there are some restaurants nearby where I can get a reasonably priced dinner.

That said, if I fly in by myself I'll have the necessary payload to bring food, and might just make dinner and my camp site. We'll see.

David, last I heard there were some hotel rooms available but they were well north of $200, you might want to look into the dorms at U of Wisconsin. The YMCA used to do an indoor camping thing (don't know if they still do).

I didn't camp there but if I did I reallyl liked the North 40.

I'm going for the first time this year - Sun to Thurs - taking our 182RG. The group TSS goes with is about 30+ people and 14 planes. Should be a good little gaggle. Will be glamping in the *new* group camping area on the north side of 9/27

Tuesday thru Thursday or Friday, staying in private home.

I don't know what the hell "Air Venture" is.
I refuse to say AirVenture even if that is what the EAA wants to call it to extort the maximum trademark revenue.
It's Oshkosh, or if you're from Wisconsin, "The EAA."

I'll be out there this year as usual.

I love Cherokees -- I've owned two, and rented countless -- but please, please, PLEASE don't be "that guy" who parks his Cherokee in Vintage, amongst the Staggerwings and Travel Airs.

Camp in the North 40, with the rest of us unwashed masses. You'll thank me later for saving you from endless finger wagging and smirks. :D

I'll be there from Wed 7/31 to Fri 8/3. Staying at a private home. Have a seat or two available from DC (HEF) into probably FLD and back.

I'll be there from Wed 7/31 to Fri 8/3. Staying at a private home. Have a seat or two available from DC (HEF) into probably FLD and back.

Hey, if you arrive after the daily airshow we will all be able to rate your arrival... :D

I'm planning on bringing the Flybaby for the entire week. I am severely payload limited though..so it's going to be kinda rough as I won't have anywhere near the supplies I'd prefer to bring to such a deal.

I love Cherokees -- I've owned two, and rented countless -- but please, please, PLEASE don't be "that guy" who parks his Cherokee in Vintage, amongst the Staggerwings and Travel Airs.

Camp in the North 40, with the rest of us unwashed masses. You'll thank me later for saving you from endless finger wagging and smirks. :D

I've parked my Cherokee there, why not? It was built in 1965 and qualifies just as much as any other vintage airplane. Last time I parked there my neighbors were in Mooneys and Bonanzas, with a pretty Luscomb thrown in for good measure. No one wagged their fingers or smirked, at least no more than usual.

I've parked my Cherokee there, why not? It was built in 1965 and qualifies just as much as any other vintage airplane. Last time I parked there my neighbors were in Mooneys and Bonanzas, with a pretty Luscomb thrown in for good measure. No one wagged their fingers or smirked, at least no more than usual.

EAA is clearly at fault here. By not coming up with a new designation, they have opened the doors to a "vintage" area that will soon be chock-full of Cherokees and Skyhawks.

I'm sorry, I love Cherokees, but they are NOT in the same class as a lovingly restored Travel Air. I would hope most pilots would understand this, and park their spam cans elsewhere.

As a spectator, I personally do not want to wade through a sea of aircraft that look just like what's currently parked on my airport's ramp, just so I can appreciate the Staggerwings. Those planes deserve an area to call their own.

Talk to the guys in AAA (Antique Aircraft Association ). They are increasingly avoiding Oshkosh altogether, partially because "vintage" has lost its meaning.

EAA is clearly at fault here. By not coming up with a new designation, they have opened the doors to a "vintage" area that will soon be chock-full of Cherokees and Skyhawks.

I'm sorry, I love Cherokees, but they are NOT in the same class as a lovingly restored Travel Air. I would hope most pilots would understand this, and park their spam cans elsewhere.

As a spectator, I personally do not want to wade through a sea of aircraft that look just like what's currently parked on my airport's ramp, just so I can appreciate the Staggerwings. Those planes deserve an area to call their own.

Talk to the guys in AAA (Antique Aircraft Association ). They are increasingly avoiding Oshkosh altogether, partially because "vintage" has lost its meaning.

I think of my aircraft as vintage. I think of Travel Airs and Staggerwings as antiques.

I think a straight-tail 172 with original panel or a an early Cherokee with a period paint-job is just as 'vintage' as anything else.

But yeah, showing up with a highly modified plane in a 'swosh' paintjob and a garmin stack in a re-cut panel is like driving a rust-bucket late 80s camry with 'historic' tags.

I agree 100%, and wish EAA would address the issue.

Look Jay, if they really didn't want my aircraft in vintage they could fix it very easily. Make the cutoff 1964, or 1954 for that matter. You wouldn't hear me complain at all.

Look Jay, if they really didn't want my aircraft in vintage they could fix it very easily. Make the cutoff 1964, or 1954 for that matter. You wouldn't hear me complain at all.

My point exactly. I'm not sure why EAA has ignored this growing problem, because it will only get worse with every passing year. When Cirrus are parked in Vintage, maybe they will fix it? lol!

My point exactly. I'm not sure why EAA has ignored this growing problem, because it will only get worse with every passing year. When Cirrus are parked in Vintage, maybe they will fix it? lol!

Well, now that Cirrus is the training plane of the air force academy, sooner or later SR20s are going to show up in 'warbirds' ;).

Well, now that Cirrus is the training plane of the air force academy, sooner or later SR20s are going to show up in 'warbirds' ;).

Augh. The WWII guys that ran OSH for so long will spin in their graves if that happens. :D

When I first started attending OSH, T-28s were looked at suspiciously (although they had round engines, which made them mostly okay), and T-34s were openly ridiculed as "pretend warbirds".

I remember when the L-birds first flew in the warbirds show. People in the crowd were laughing.

Now, Navions and Nanchings are parked out in the Warbird area. Hard to believe, but with Mustangs costing $1.5 million and up, EAA has to fill the warbird show somehow. I suppose Cirri are inevitable, as more and more WWII planes are retired to museums.

I miss those old WWII boys.

I'm planning on bringing the Flybaby for the entire week. I am severely payload limited though..so it's going to be kinda rough as I won't have anywhere near the supplies I'd prefer to bring to such a deal.

Tow a trailer... Bring Tony along and fill the glider. LOL! :)

I'm going with my son. Planning Camp Scholler, arriving Sunday afternoon and leaving Friday morning. Can't wait!

-Jim

I cant make it during the week and was thinking that trying to come in on the Saturday would be one of the busiest times to try to get it. Doesn't sound like a fun time to be in the air with everyone else if I can avoid it. Is it worth flying up Sunday? Or do most vendors start packing up Sunday early?

Back