Snappy new camera

Ken Ibold

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ken Ibold
Wow! Just got a Canon digital Rebel XT. The lenses from my old 35mm Rebel work just fine with it, which had a lot to do with this choice, to be sure.

I thought it would be nice, but it exceeds my expectations by a factor of 10. Digital photography has come so far in the last couple of years!

great camera, i have one too. getting used to the non automated modes are taking a while to get the hang of though.

shortly after i got it, i had spots on my photos. it took a few times, but i'm pretty good at cleaning the sensor now. the swabs were a bit pricy though.

Ken,

Have you tried taking pictures from the air with it yet? If so, does it work well? I've been using a little $200 digital to take air to ground pics with and it just ain't making it.

... Bill

Ken Ibold said:
Wow! Just got a Canon digital Rebel XT. The lenses from my old 35mm Rebel work just fine with it, which had a lot to do with this choice, to be sure.

I thought it would be nice, but it exceeds my expectations by a factor of 10. Digital photography has come so far in the last couple of years!

Just remember that unless you find a camera with a full frame sensor, you're going to have a magnification on the 32mm focal lengths. (1.6X for the Rebel XT) So just keep it in mind when you buy lenses, or feel like there's a "telephoto" effect on your camera. :)

But other than that, the dSLRs are awesome. :D

A (pilot) friend of mine (actually a few) has a Digital Rebel XT and it is a great camera. It simply takes amazing shots and he has allowed me to use it when he is flying the aircraft. Like William said, the dSLRs are great.

Jason

flybill7 said:
Ken,

Have you tried taking pictures from the air with it yet? If so, does it work well? I've been using a little $200 digital to take air to ground pics with and it just ain't making it.

... Bill
I just got it today and am still learning to play with it. My old lenses (35-80 mm zoom and a 200-400 mm zoom) should allow some good shots from the air.

My old digital, an HP 850, took decent air to ground shots, but it had a 10x optical zoom on it. That one will probably go on eBay soon, unless one of the kids wants it.

Cool beans!

I, too, have the non-digital Canon Rebel and a couple of lenses, but I've been drooling over the digital version for a while now. Let us know how the learning curve goes with it. Maybe I'll put it on the wish list for Christmas. :D

-Chris

Congrats, Ken. I have a Canon 20D (the XT and 20D share the same processor and sensor, with different software and features) and have been regularly drooling over the 5D, it's big brother and the entry level 'full frame' sensor body.

But...I keep spending all my money on new lenses instead. Just picked up the 100-400 IS yesterday.

Like William mentioned, your lenses won't 'look' quite the same on the XT compared to your film bodies (I had three Rebels). For instance, your 35-80 just became a 56-128 in film terms (35-80 x 1.6). It's great for telephoto but bad for wide angle. I picked up the EFS 10-22 for my wide range (equivalent to a 16-35).

CJones said:
Let us know how the learning curve goes with it.
If you already own a Rebel, and you also have used a digital camera, the learning curve is very, very shallow. I haven't unpacked the manuals yet, and I have a better-than-passing working knowledge of it in less than an hour of playing around.

Hey, all you camera experts:

I have lenses for Olympus OM-mounts, and some Pentax; do either of these manufacturers make DSLRs which will use these existing lenses? I have been under the impression (based upon ignorance, of which I have a ready and vast reserve) that the DSLR cameras required new and costly lenses which had magic mojo. Or something.

Am I nuts (about this, I mean)?

SCCutler said:
Hey, all you camera experts:

I have lenses for Olympus OM-mounts, and some Pentax; do either of these manufacturers make DSLRs which will use these existing lenses? I have been under the impression (based upon ignorance, of which I have a ready and vast reserve) that the DSLR cameras required new and costly lenses which had magic mojo. Or something.

Am I nuts (about this, I mean)?
Partially nuts. ;)

The newer Olympus systems use the Four Thirds mount, which is not the same as the older OM mounts. There is, however, an adapter available from Olympus that can connect the two different mount systems. Don't toss those lenses yet! The Olympus E-Volts have a pretty decent reputation as a digital camera, too. It's not a bad buy.

The Pentax DSLRs also have a different mount but an adapter is available. According to the website, ANY previous Pentax lens will work with an adapter on a current DSLR.

Now if I could find one that will use my old Minolta lenses. That SRT-102 has just been gathering dust for years. When they did away with mercury batteries that left me with zinc-air batteries for the meter. Pull the tab to activate and you've got 3 months before you have to buy another $8 battery. That, and I don't shoot film anymore.

Ghery said:
Now if I could find one that will use my old Minolta lenses. That SRT-102 has just been gathering dust for years.

I just can't part with my SRT-201 and OM-1, I just love those old built like a tank match needle cameras.I was on highschool yearbook staff, and loaned out my 201 often, and it has dents and scratches all over it, and had been dropped multiple times desk height onto hard floors. Nothing hurt that beast.

My favorite for non-action stuff was the Mamiya C330, it took beautiful pictures and was fun to use.

Having been in "the business" for 27 years(and still doin' it on-the-side as a home business), it's odd that I haven't converted. I've tried most of them, from pocket-size to the heavy hardware. I'm steeped in upscale lenses which are Minolta Maxxum compatible. Hence, I'm awaiting distribution of the Sony A-100 DSLR which offers compatibility with my lenses. And the stabilizer technology is built into the body, rather than individual lenses. I want to try a production model. (For those not aware, Konica/Minolta sold out to Sony)

HR

Brian:

Thanks for the scoop; I just cannot stand trying to shoot digital with the "convenience" cameras which dominate. I miss having the SLR "experience," and control.

Good bunch here, always have answers...

...and they're true!

SCCutler said:
Brian:

Thanks for the scoop; I just cannot stand trying to shoot digital with the "convenience" cameras which dominate. I miss having the SLR "experience," and control.

Good bunch here, always have answers...

...and they're true!
You're very welcome.

I love the little point-and-shoots with the faux shutter sound. Sheesh. Turn it OFF for crying out loud. It doesn't HAVE a shutter.

Brian Austin said:
I love the little point-and-shoots with the faux shutter sound. Sheesh. Turn it OFF for crying out loud. It doesn't HAVE a shutter.

I have my point-n-shoot digicam set to howl like a wolf when the self timer goes off. Fun stuff!!!

Lawreston said:
Having been in "the business" for 27 years(and still doin' it on-the-side as a home business), it's odd that I haven't converted. I've tried most of them, from pocket-size to the heavy hardware. I'm steeped in upscale lenses which are Minolta Maxxum compatible. Hence, I'm awaiting distribution of the Sony A-100 DSLR which offers compatibility with my lenses. And the stabilizer technology is built into the body, rather than individual lenses. I want to try a production model. (For those not aware, Konica/Minolta sold out to Sony)

HR

Thanks for the heads up. I really miss the manual control of everything that I had with that Minolta SLR. No menus, no "where did they hide that", just dial in what you want and go. Match the needles and the picture turned out pretty good. That's what I want in my next digital camera.

Ghery said:
Thanks for the heads up. I really miss the manual control of everything that I had with that Minolta SLR. No menus, no "where did they hide that", just dial in what you want and go. Match the needles and the picture turned out pretty good. That's what I want in my next digital camera.
Those days are pretty much gone. Using the 'needle' functions while the camera is in certain modes is still possible (indicator moves based on Exposure Value...when on 0 then it's 'matched'). Manual is still there in most prosumer DSLRs as well as all of the auto modes.

I love digital. I don't miss the smell of finisher on my hands for hours or days after a heavy darkroom session. Nor do I feel so bad (or poor) when spending all that time developing 10 rolls of film for only four or five exhibition level photos.

The Canon is a nice camera. I have an EOS-3 film body and a Digital Rebel (same as one of the D-series, but with a plastic body).

Very happy....

HPNPilot1200 said:
A (pilot) friend of mine (actually a few) has a Digital Rebel XT and it is a great camera. It simply takes amazing shots and he has allowed me to use it when he is flying the aircraft. Like William said, the dSLRs are great.

Jason

Her Majesty -- the former wife -- flew up from Fort Lauderdale for my August 26 concert. She had only recently switched from using a Nikon F3 to a Canon Digital Rebel XT, about which she gives rave reviews. Photos, below, are of low resolution.

Photo #1 = Warmup, prior to the monkey suit.
Photo #2 = More warmup and checking acoustics.
Photo #3 = Built-in flash coverage not bad, considering the distance and the wide-angle setting.
Photo #4 = Auto flash got negated by overhead lights. Fill-flash should have been used.

Margin note to RT and CT: Got them; U.S. Mail should go out as soon as I can meet with the accompanist and guitarist.

HR

Attachments

• Concert #1, by VAO.jpg
    Concert #1, by VAO.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 10
  • Concert #2, by VAO.jpg
    Concert #2, by VAO.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 9
  • Concert #3, by VAO.jpg
    Concert #3, by VAO.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 10
  • Concert #4, by VAO.jpg
    Concert #4, by VAO.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Lawreston said:
I haven't converted.

We have a nice, though now a few years old and certainly behind the times, Sony pocket size digital camera. It takes fair snapshots. For vacation this year I realized at the last minute I left the battery charger and the cable that connects the camera to my laptop at the office. As we wouldn't be able to recharge the camera or download the pictures while on extended vacation we decided to break out one of our older 35mm cameras.

We took a pocket size Nikon we've had for a few years which hasn't seen much use. There is no comparison between the film picutres this camera takes as compared to the mid-cost digital cameras. I'm sure the high end digital cameras are great but I think they are very expensive. Too, expensive for me to spring for one at the moment.

That said, I was over my parents house the other day and my dad tells me that one of his friends just upgraded to one of the high end digital Nikons. The friend remembered that I had a Nikon FM and passed along his old FE to me. The camera came with several Nikkor lenses (including a 105mm which I've always desired). What is really nice is that all of my existing lenses are the less expensive Nikon lenses that went with the Nikon EM body. The gift also included a 3.5 FPS motordrive. All of which, of course, will work with my FM as well as the FE.

I just might have to get the FM out of storage. It also gave me the urge to do a little aerial photography for hire...which of course means I need a different plane....hmmm I wonder if I could draft a viable business model that justifies the purchase of a Grumman two seater.

Len

actually, I think the current Canon point and shoot I have gives a fair run for the money on film cameras - in certain circumstances. and you can get it now for under 300 bucks I think.

you won't take good indoor photos without a tripod but it takes stellar scenery shots. It's more than just a simple point and shoot but it's far from a pro camera. It takes better photos overall than my Canon AE-1 Program for instance - assuming both outdoors, without a tripod. the colors are much crisper, to me.

and no matter how expensive your camera is, if you're not a good shot you are going to take crappy photos anyway.

Len Lanetti said:
What is really nice is that all of my existing lenses are the less expensive Nikon lenses that went with the Nikon EM body. The gift also included a 3.5 FPS motordrive. All of which, of course, will work with my FM as well as the FE.

Len

You hit the key words in your reference to less expensive Nikon lenses.
The EM body came with, or had available for it, N-i-k-o-n lenses which weren't bad, optically, but of cheaper construction. All other Nikon bodies were most frequently matched with the N-i-k-k-o-r lenses: superior optics, and of top-notch construction. Those blasphemous magazine/mail order dealers would promote a "dirt-cheap" Nikon package comprised of the upscale F3/F4, complete with several Nikon lenses. Most consumers didn't know that the "deal" would set them up with a top-of-the-line body ------------ but with el cheapo lenses(and a greater profit margin for the seller).

The same scenario occurs today with Canon Digital Rebel bodies which may be equipped with the "normal" 38-90(35mm equivalent) lens as opposed to the equivalent to the 28-105 and other upscale Canon lenses. Marketing!!
Buyers should be cautious when buying a "Package," lest they become victims of marketing, rather than best selection for the needs.

HR

with that in mind - the lens that comes with the new Canon 30D is an 18-55 but I'm not sure it's a Canon lens - I think it is, but it isn't their top of the line one. thoughts? (anyone)?

Lawreston said:
You hit the key words in your reference to less expensive Nikon lenses.
The EM body came with, or had available for it, N-i-k-o-n lenses which weren't bad, optically, but of cheaper construction. All other Nikon bodies were most frequently matched with the N-i-k-k-o-r lenses: superior optics, and of top-notch construction.

Harley,

Yep. At the time I bought the FM (late '79 or early '80) money was tight. I didn't have a great job (actually two not so well paying jobs) and was learning to fly at the same time. I purposly bought the Nikon lenses to go with the FM. The camera was worth more than the car I was driving at the time ('62 Chevy Impala with aluminum siding pop rivited in place of a right rear quarter panel). That car is long gone but the camera is still able to take a better picture than I'm capable of seeing.

Len

woodstock said:
with that in mind - the lens that comes with the new Canon 30D is an 18-55 but I'm not sure it's a Canon lens - I think it is, but it isn't their top of the line one. thoughts? (anyone)?

Beth,

Here's what to look at on the lens. The Canon digital cameras use a smaller sensor than the usual 35mm film frame. Canon came out with the cheaper lenses that extend a bit further back into the body and limit the exposure area to the sensor frame.

What that means is that a standard Canon EOS-type lens will work on the 30D (and other Canon digital cameras), but the Canon lens that's usually packaged with the digital SLRs will not work on the film bodies or the bodies with the larger sensor.

When I got my Canon digital, I already had several lenses for the EOS-3 flim body. So I ignored the "package" and bought just the body.

The EOS lenses tend to be of higher quality and response.

I don't know the details of the lens you mention, but if it's one of the "package" lenses like they put on the Digital Rebel series, you may well want to pair the camera with one of the better lenses. Or you can get the package and add-on later.

Beth,

That's the cheaper lens that comes in the Digital Rebel package. It's OK as a tourist or consumer lens, but I suspect (I don't have one) that the camera will produce better images with a better lens.

Here's a review. The first part is pretty technical, but the pictures tell all.

http://bobatkins.com/photography/reviews/18-55.html

Their conclusion is that the lens is OK, but doesn't perform as well as a really good lens (duh).

I'd say it's better than the point-and-shoot that you've been using, but not as good as some of the better lenses out there.

One other thing. Yes, you will want bigger cards. I would suggest getting at least two cards. If you shoot in the "raw" mode (as opposed to JPEGS), you'll probably get on the order of 130-140 pictures on a 2 GB card. (I have a 6.3 megapixel Digital Rebel, and I get about 70 RAW shots on a 512MB card). At 8.0 Megapixels, you can expect something close to 70 RAW on a 1 GB card.

Downloading becomes a real PITA with the larger cards, especially if you're doing it through a cable instead of a card reader. I might get a couple of 1 GB cards as opposed to a single 2 GB card. If you can afford it, 2 2-GB cards would be even better.

I likely won't shoot RAW for a while.

I've got a couple of one-gig cards BUT for the little powershot - SD cards - tiny tiny.

I had thought the lens was a 2.8 F-stop - I thought I saw that somewhere - I'll have to keep looking. 2.8 would be a lot better...

I don't know much about this kit but wanted to let you know that I have had good dealings with beach camera.. Including last year the purchase of a Minolta digital slr. I think that when a company does a good job the word should be spread.. Good luck with your camera and purchase.

Jon

woodstock said:
does this kit look "worth it' for the extra price added?

http://www.beachcamera.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=E2CNEOS30D1855

it's 1232 for the camera and lens - nothing else - or 1385 when you throw in a 2 gig card, reader (which I already have) and extra battery (but is this one crap) and a holster, etc.

Back