Great Lakes/Midwest May Lunch.

Coming from Ohio, yeah Chris, I'm afraid I agree.

Not so much coming from Michigan, though there is definitely a chance of convection. The Indiana forecast discussion is not very bullish on storms, and the central Illinois forecast talks about an extended break from rain on Saturday. I'm thinking, wait til morning.

Ed sounds more pessimistic than me though, I guess I should be worried. Discuss?

No can do IFR. Let's see what the weather holds in the AM.

Probably a no go for me as we'll. I will end up working on dads house instead and maybe help Matt with an annual.

Ed, do you do IFR 7-10 day crash courses? Although it doesn't show CFI-I in your sig, so perhaps not.

Last edited:
Crash is not a good word to use in reference to course on aviation. LOL

Ed, do you do IFR 7-10 day crash courses? Although it doesn't show CFI-I in your sig, so perhaps not.

I keep meaning to get my II but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

I might make it. We'll see what it looks like early in the AM.

Looks like embedded stuff in Indiana today.

The 1 day Convective Outlook shows a chance of general storms throughout the area except north of the MI-IN-OH line. But the point forecasts show chances of SHRA/TSRA only from about OXI southeastward. The forecast discussions also downplay the chances of anything more than isolated, at least until you get farther S and SE into central IN.

Area Forecast
ISOL, and no doubt based on the 1 day convective outlook. But point taken. How much chance does there have to be before you won't go IMC at all? In a radar environment, can't you get deviations around cells?

I have zero experience IFR during the summer... looking for a little guidance.

The issue is ATC only paints precip, so you can be in Mr Toads Wild Ride before it shows on radar. I got caught once, no thanks. If I can stay out of the clouds and be on top its easy enough to play dodgem. But with my break in still going on, I have to be at an altitude that puts me right in the muck.

I got a few things around here I was asked to do by a few people, so I think I'm gonna stay local. Might go fly this afternoon or something.

The issue is ATC only paints precip, so you can be in Mr Toads Wild Ride before it shows on radar. I got caught once, no thanks. If I can stay out of the clouds and be on top its easy enough to play dodgem. But with my break in still going on, I have to be at an altitude that puts me right in the muck.
Yeah, makes sense that visual dodgem would be better than relying on ATC or XM. I have a WX-900 stormscope which should alert me to strikes, but convection-induced turb of course isn't shown. My plan is to file for 8000 and ask for higher or lower to stay visual as much as possible. If climbing or descending in IMC, give anything showing on whatever source a wide berth.

What you're talking about sounds like being caught in stuff that's just popping up. Everything I'm reading says the dynamics just aren't there today for stuff to pop unpredictably like that.

Yeah, makes sense that visual dodgem would be better than relying on ATC or XM. I have a WX-900 stormscope which should alert me to strikes, but convection-induced turb of course isn't shown. My plan is to file for 8000 and ask for higher or lower to stay visual as much as possible. If climbing or descending in IMC, give anything showing on whatever source a wide berth.

What you're talking about sounds like being caught in stuff that's just popping up. Everything I'm reading says the dynamics just aren't there today for stuff to pop unpredictably like that.

Perhaps, but yesterday I saw it happen mid afternoon, and they went up to FL600, and its the same airmass, so I'm hesitant.

For WI and IL, looks like mist now and burning off by 1500Z give or take. I will be there, though perhaps a tad late waiting for the low clouds to burn off.

I think we're in. AF has ISOL TS after 1800. I am waiting for Leslie to finish her exercise; then I'll do mine. Look to launch around 1600.

Decisions changed - we are out for today. Will spend some time running many errands, and celebrating our anniversary a little early today (the official day is Monday, but I fly out for business tomorrow afternoon for most of the week).

Departing in about 30....Sue decided base on this to pass. I think she's going to work the garden....

Departing in about 30....Sue decided base on this to pass. I think she's going to work the garden....

Oh well. sitting out here under the umbrella....at CJs.
Time to go back home...

Well no....818JT just arrived....

Wish I was there. I have been laying vinyl and cutting grass here. No fun at all.

That was quite a nice and quiet lunch, swapping plane stories and financial advice too. Hello to Jean, Liz and Doc. Bruce! Bruce, I think I need the info for your adviser. You know what they say about those who represent themselves in court? I think it applies in the stock world too :)

Sorry I missed you!

Now where did I put that June thread...

Sent from my brain using my fingers.

Sorry I missed you!

Now where did I put that June thread...

Sent from my brain using my fingers.

I'd like to make a request for June 22nd rather than the 15th... I will have a much better chance of making it that Saturday.

We're back home. We went VFR to OXI at 3000 and dodged a small cell on the way. Filled up at OXI, then filed back to VLL at 7000. Very nice ride up there, in and out of IMC, smooth as silk, no precip or any sign of storms.

It was great seeing Dr. Bruce again, and meeting Dana and (I'm blanking, was it Chris?). CJ's food is really good. I wish we could have done the beer run, but we needed to get back and weather was starting to pop in Indiana.

Looking forward to June!

Hope you guys had fun. We did the annual today, and there is a thread about it.

We're back home. We went VFR to OXI at 3000 and dodged a small cell on the way. Filled up at OXI, then filed back to VLL at 7000. Very nice ride up there, in and out of IMC, smooth as silk, no precip or any sign of storms.

It was great seeing Dr. Bruce again, and meeting Dana and (I'm blanking, was it Chris?). CJ's food is really good. I wish we could have done the beer run, but we needed to get back and weather was starting to pop in Indiana.

Looking forward to June!

It was a great day, thanks for asking me to tag along. I met a couple of new aviation friends and it was great seeing Dr. Bruce again.

I think it did me some good getting out of the house for a while too.

Jean

Good company and it was a gorgeous afternoon to sit out under the umbrella..... :)

Glad you guys had a great time! Wish we could have gone, but, given the number of unfinished tasks, it's better that we didn't.

Glad you guys had a great time! Wish we could have gone, but, given the number of unfinished tasks, it's better that we didn't.

Hi Grant, I just noticed that you are in Romeoville, IL. I had an Aunt who lived there for quite some time and she was a school teacher. We used to visit her from time to time and I usually flew into Lewis University Airport when we visited. Unfortunately she passed a way and I haven't been back there since.

Jean

Good company and it was a gorgeous afternoon to sit out under the umbrella..... :)

What a day it was to have lunch, or in my case, breakfast outdoors. It was truly gorgeous. The food was great as was the company! I used to think that airports had the worst over priced food on earth until I started visiting airports outside the state of Michigan.

Jean

What a day it was to have lunch, or in my case, breakfast outdoors. It was truly gorgeous. The food was great as was the company! I used to think that airports had the worst over priced food on earth until I started visiting airports outside the state of Michigan.

Jean
Well, the Brownstone (MKG) is pricey as I recall. Bravo at AZO is too (though it's not an airport restaurant). I'd expect that airport eateries at commercial hubs are probably expensive too, and maybe not very good, but I so rarely fly commercial that I really can't comment. Is that what you were saying? At smaller airports, I just don't see it. Examples: the Airport Restaurant and Spirits at JXN is very reasonable, and their menu got better about two years ago. Also, the diner at 3DA (now Liberty, used to be Gabby's) never struck me as overpriced either. At OEB there is a new diner that's both good and not pricey at all.

There's a couple of others too that I could mention. Michigan has quite a few good, reasonably priced on-field places to eat (hint, hint). ;)

Well, the Brownstone (MKG) is pricey as I recall. Bravo at AZO is too (though it's not an airport restaurant). I'd expect that airport eateries at commercial hubs are probably expensive too, and maybe not very good, but I so rarely fly commercial that I really can't comment. Is that what you were saying? At smaller airports, I just don't see it. Examples: the Airport Restaurant and Spirits at JXN is very reasonable, and their menu got better about two years ago. Also, the diner at 3DA (now Liberty, used to be Gabby's) never struck me as overpriced either. At OEB there is a new diner that's both good and not pricey at all.

There's a couple of others too that I could mention. Michigan has quite a few good, reasonably priced on-field places to eat (hint, hint). ;)

I think what really colored my judgement of airport food in the beginning was the absolutely awful and horribly over priced crap that they used to serve at Detroit Metro Airport. I know that has improved a bit over the years as various restaurant chains started putting in franchises but then that's mostly fast food. It is the smaller airports like Where we were yesterday that impress me but I can't remember seeing anything I would consider outstanding here in Michigan.

Jean

I think what really colored my judgement of airport food in the beginning was the absolutely awful and horribly over priced crap that they used to serve at Detroit Metro Airport. I know that has improved a bit over the years as various restaurant chains started putting in franchises but then that's mostly fast food. It is the smaller airports like Where we were yesterday that impress me but I can't remember seeing anything I would consider outstanding here in Michigan.

Jean
We should fly over to JXN some Friday or Saturday when they're open for dinner. A few years ago I thought their fare was mediocre, but they added some new items that I think are really good. It depends on what kind of food you like, to some extent. I like salads, and they have some unusual and tasty salads now (their Tuscan chicken salad is to die for).

The atmosphere at the Jackson restaurant isn't on the level of CJ's or Kacy J's in Muncie -- it's just a diner, and those are really classy places. But it's good food and not expensive at all.

I'll second the vote on the Tuscan chicken - very tasty! (Thanks for the recommendation, Liz.)
Also, they use real roasted turkey (not pressed, deli turkey) in the turkey, spinach, feta omelet. And, of course, that turkey turns up in other dishes as well.

Sorry I missed you guys. Too many things came up and had no chance of making it. Will try to make the June fly-out

Back