Are there any hidden gotcha's

patrick wentworth

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Patrick
If a pilot takes a person takes someone flying and that person takes pictures then sells those pictures are there any issues?

No money or payment of any kind or payment in kind takes place between the pilot and the person.

No shared costs, no lunch, Nada. Just a pleasure flight. Pilot foots the whole cost.

Would the flight have taken place if the person didn't bring their camera?

No. You had no idea it was a terrorist casing his targets, now did you?

Did the photographer ask you to go flying and then asked for a certain destination or camera angle?

I would think no issues in either case. The pilot accepted no $ from the photographer.

I'm might be wrong, but I think that there has to be shared purpose, regardless of money exchanging hands.

As long as we all get free autographed copies of the pictures for when the photographer becomes famous, we won't mention this to the FAA.

Patrick, you've met me, you know I'm kidding. I wouldn't be the one to ask but if it makes you feel better - people take pictures out of my plane all the time. I have no idea if they sell them or not.

You can take someone on a scenic basket weaving flight. If they sell the basket later, no problem. You can't, as a non-commercial pilot, advertise for scenic basket weaving flights, and accept money for such flights.

Same with photos, sketches, written descriptions, notes taken for a chapter in a mystery book (or any other book for that matter), a speaker later tells about "My flight with Joe" at a meetings and gets paid for it.

For that matter, a student pilot can later write a magazine article about his first solo and get paid for it. A non-commercial pilot can write magazine articles for pay about the best places to visit in Florida, etc., and provide details that he gathered while making such a trip.

You can take someone on a scenic basket weaving flight. If they sell the basket later, no problem. You can't, as a non-commercial pilot, advertise for scenic basket weaving flights, and accept money for such flights.

Same with photos, sketches, written descriptions, notes taken for a chapter in a mystery book (or any other book for that matter), a speaker later tells about "My flight with Joe" at a meetings and gets paid for it.

For that matter, a student pilot can later write a magazine article about his first solo and get paid for it. A non-commercial pilot can write magazine articles for pay about the best places to visit in Florida, etc., and provide details that he gathered while making such a trip.

Ah, but the rule nazi's will tell you that if they launched on those flight with the intent of writing the review then it's illegal.

At least, I think they will...I have no idea how they process the world around them and some of them write the fricking rules.

Think about it. EAA or maybe it was AOPA announced in advance that one of their non-pilot employees was going to earn a Sport Pilot License and do so in two weeks.

The employee did so, and wrote about it. (And was paid, either for the article, or as an employee while taking the training.)

I have about 300 books on flying and autobiographies of pilots. In a lot of cases (about half?) the writer is a pilot who recounts his early days of flying, tells about his first solo, etc. Presumably the writer-pilot was paid for the book.

The rule says that as long as flying is incidental to the business then it's OK. If flying IS the business then a Comm is required. Capiche?

What the passenger does isn't the FAA's concern as long as the pilot is not receiving any compensation.

It's simple enough to find out - just write to the chief counsel and ask.

:stirpot:

Ok so I do not get any pay of any kind - don't advertise (which would be Silly since there is no business or money to be had by me), then I should be safe from the "system"

You need any aerial basket weaving time .... I'm your guy.... But be assured I will accept no compensation

I just want to fly my 50 hours a year and have company once and a while and the only way folks will ride with me is if the have some diversion to avoid the sheer terror of the flight.
:rofl:

Hilarious. But you forgot to ask what rating the pilot has, PPL, Comm.:D

Why would the level matter? If the flight is legal and he is legal to fly non-paying passengers as all sp/ppl/com/atp's are, i'm confused? He could even charge pro-rata and be in the clear. If however; he was contacted by say the 'Discovery Channel' to do some aerial photog AND COMPENSATED, that's another story. I seriously doubt if the FAA has the resources to bother with pursuing someone who took a person up in the air, without compensation, who took a photo and 'Got lucky' financially from it. And, if so, I have serious doubts about the 'freedoms' we enjoy in this country.

Take for instance, the local news crew doing a story on aviation. They approach a sp, pp, com, or atp on the ramp and ask them 'would you be willing to take us up and show us about general aviation flying?' You say, 'sure! I am passionate about the field and love to fly with others!' Then they take photos with approved cameras (there at least used to be an official list for video) and compile their broadcast. All that happened was a good projection of GA in the media so long as they didn't pay you more than their share, per person for the a/c time involved. Better yet, no money at all. This only promotes and the FAA shouldn't have any issues at all.

Keeping in mind, Private/GA aviation needs more advocates and taking people up for free of charge is a great way to 'share the love' so to speak. Sparking a lust for aviation in others only spreads the love throughout the community.

I would only be careful of two things: 1. If they ask you to sign a contract, read it carefully and/or have a lawyer review. 2. Check quickly with your ins. company to ensure coverage if a person appears to be working in some occupational manner regardless of the regulations. No legal issues, but potential financial exposure. These are personal risk factors.

As far as the FAA is concerned, I didn't see anything that would preclude the operation described in my experience.

Good luck, great flying, and God speed!

Back