300 KTS/ 3,000 descending 5 mile final

lancefisher said:
GS or indicated?
I would imagine it was indicated. But he was on 5 mile final for Rwy 29, ATIS was reporting winds as 30014. Previous ATIS was 29011. Mag Var 14W.

Len Lanetti said:
I guess someone forgot about FAR 91.117.

Len

Looks like someone forgot to read paragraph (b) :D

91.117(b) Unless otherwise authorized or required by ATC...

N2212R said:
91.117(b) Unless otherwise authorized or required by ATC...

Hmmm, yep I can hear it now.

ATC "Brasila 123 maintain 300 knots or better to the outer there's a SR71 behind you".

:<)

Len

For a while IAH was doing a program last year where they were omitting the 250Kts below 10k. However, they have since then scratched that program. I dont know if they were the only facility "testing" this feature or not. Meaning, I dont know if that ATC facility was doing the same.

I can do 300Kts to five miles final but I have to throw out everything to slow down. I did this once on a medical flight and asked for a deviation because of patient emergency. It was granted. Pretty much made the plane cavitate like you would looking at your grandma in her underwear. :)

Last edited:
Len Lanetti said:
Hmmm, yep I can hear it now.

ATC "Brasila 123 maintain 300 knots or better to the outer there's a SR71 behind you".

:<)

Len
Actually I think the SR71 flew a fairly reasonable final. Now the F104 and F105, those honked on final.

jkaduk said:
Actually I think the SR71 flew a fairly reasonable final. Now the F104 and F105, those honked on final.

As did the delta winged F-102 which President Bush flew. :)

Any chance you misunderstood the transmission? Could have been something to do with heading 300 to intercept final for RWY 29. I don't even think a Brasilia gets close to 300 knots at that low altitude. Side note: Airspeed is reported as indicated to the tower I believe.

SkykingC310 said:
Any chance you misunderstood the transmission? Could have been something to do with heading 300 to intercept final for RWY 29. I don't even think a Brasilia gets close to 300 knots at that low altitude. Side note: Airspeed is reported as indicated to the tower I believe.
It looks like you are correct about the improbability of 300KIAS, the airspeed envelope is published in the TC Data Sheet on page 9 see:

http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_library/rgMakeModel.nsf/0/1f0492e91f3bd40786256df100524a06/$FILE/A31SO.pdf

SkykingC310 said:
Dang it, Adam. What fun are you? Yeah, Flight 3333, 3,000 descending, hdg 300, with 3 pax and 3 chickens onboard, we're 3 minutes late, arrival gate 3 in 3 minutes, local time now 3:33.

Back