$2 a gallon Gas (or lower)soon

I paid $2.38 today at the Sam's Club in Tyler, Texas. Then I paid $4.52 for avgas at the airport....

In the San Antonio area, you can get avgas below $3.50 a gallon.

Hey Joe, I saw fuel today for $2.25 on that little stretch of GA on I-24 while driving to Chattanooga today.

I just filled up for $2.35 just across the Ky border in Oak Grove

$2.48 in Whitman (generic station). And it's still going down. Saw a Sunoco at $2.50 for regular! Of course I think the 93 octang was still $3.30.

insane! why? what happened to all the 100 bucks a barrel, 4 dollar a gallon stories?

does this mean the %&^*&^% Greenway will be clogged again? I was enjoying that so many people didn't want to drive needlessly anymore.

woodstock said:
insane! why? what happened to all the 100 bucks a barrel, 4 dollar a gallon stories?

does this mean the %&^*&^% Greenway will be clogged again? I was enjoying that so many people didn't want to drive needlessly anymore.

I'm sure it's only a temporary reprieve. I just hope people continue demanding higher gas mileage and hybrids and new alternative fuels, otherwise we're just going to go through it again.

What is happening is what should be happening, if no regulations are put on the price of fuel. The market is regulating itself, just like everything else is!

wbarnhill said:
I'm sure it's only a temporary reprieve. I just hope people continue demanding higher gas mileage and hybrids and new alternative fuels, otherwise we're just going to go through it again.

Are you refering to vehicles like the sports car in your avatar?

woodstock said:

The $4/gal stories were to get you prepared to be "happy" with
$3.50 while they stuck it to us. Now with the elections coming up
and many congress critters feeling the heat they're telling the
oil companies to suck it up and cool it.

$2.91 for the cheap stuff today. Diesel was showing $3.25. It's like buying free gas right now! WOO HOO! I tankered everything I had that would hold gasoline while it's still cheap.

$2.00/gal?? $1.00/gal?? I have a WHOLE BUNCH of tropical beachfront land to sell you on Neptune.

kevin47881 said:
Are you refering to vehicles like the sports car in your avatar?
If by sports car you mean MINI Cooper (the girlfriend's), which gets a combined 32 mpg (28/36), sure it's a sports car. :rolleyes:

Oh, and the new MINIs released this coming year (with a French engine, OMG!) will get a combined 48 mpg (38/61).

Last edited:
wbarnhill said:
Of course it is. They will begin creeping back up on Nov. 3rd.

jkaduk said:
Of course it is. They will begin creeping back up on Nov. 3rd.

Oh, please. Get out your tinfoil hats! :rolleyes:

RogerT said:
The $4/gal stories were to get you prepared to be "happy" with
$3.50 while they stuck it to us. Now with the elections coming up
and many congress critters feeling the heat they're telling the
oil companies to suck it up and cool it.

Gas prices go down after every single Labor Day simply because demand is lower. How does that affect prices? Economics 101 explains supply and demand and free market competition and how it affects prices.

Since elections happen after Labor Day, it's common to assume the price drops are due to politicians telling the oil companies what to do for the purposes of securing votes.

The only ways the government can affect gas prices is to add or remove taxes on the product, or provide incentives to the oil producing companies. The only incentives available to the government are tax breaks of one kind or another, or reduced regulations.

If a politician approached a business person and said, "I need you to put your price here, even if you lose money, so I can get re-elected," the business person would say, "Good luck finding your next job." There are far more pressures on oil executives to keep stock prices up and profits up than any politician could ever muster.

So, when you vote this fall, remember which politicians want to increase the longevity of our oil supplies in long term ways, and which ones hope to grab votes by citing their record of using the strategic reserve and blaming oil companies for factors out of oil companies' control that force crude, and therefore gas prices, up.

The former can change the energy picture, and the latter simply rely on those very news media stories to manipulate public opinion about a subject that is complex, resulting in folks who believe politicians have oil companies over a barrel, and can cajole them into artificial prices in order to get re-elected. So, for all the voters who truly believe there are political forces manipulating the market for political gain, and choose to vote for politicians who point this out to them, then those voters should take a pause and ask themselves.."So who's actually manipulating me to get my vote?"

alaskaflyer said:
Oh, don't tease me like that :rofl:
You would think that with a refinery in North Pole that taps off of the pipe line the auto fuel would not cost more there than the lower 48. But it seems like they set the cost just low enough to keep someone from shipping it from the lower 48.

wbarnhill said:
If by sports car you mean MINI Cooper (the girlfriend's), which gets a combined 32 mpg (28/36), sure it's a sports car. :rolleyes:

Oh, and the new MINIs released this coming year (with a French engine, OMG!) will get a combined 48 mpg (38/61).

my little 4 door sedan only get 23 city - but I have been able to get 35 on the highway. too bad most of my driving is city. (then again I still have less than 70K miles on it)

wbarnhill said:

Thought by the avatar it was a sports car. Obviously, being a MINI, it isn't. My bad.

kevin47881 said:
Thought by the avatar it was a sports car. Obviously, being a MINI, it isn't. My bad.

All the looks, without all the gas hoggishness :D That's MINI. (Order one today ;) )

wbarnhill said:
All the looks, without all the gas hoggishness :D That's MINI. (Order one today ;) )
If only I could fit in one. Its hard enough for me to get into a C172.

Attachments

• Bowling Green Mo.JPG
    Bowling Green Mo.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 26
woodstock said:

They'll be back as soon as weather/pipeline failures/pick-an-event happens. Even $3.49 gas didn't bother people too much judging by the speeds everyone drove on the highways during the post-Katrina price gouging.

$2.19+9/10 per gallon in the SGF/M17 area. Odds are the Gulf of Mexico find has helped drive the market down.

Later,
Jim

JRitt said:
If only I could fit in one. Its hard enough for me to get into a C172.

When you come to Maine you can be the next PoA to use my guest room; and then "fit in one" of each of my favorite toys. One may be a tighter squeeze than the other. (Oh, and the Harley, too.)

HR

Attachments

• Cessna & Healey    Aug. 2000.JPG
    Cessna & Healey Aug. 2000.JPG
    140.7 KB · Views: 32
If thats a Sebring I think I fit. I also fit my Shadow 1100 fint to (lots of headroom)

JRitt said:
If thats a Sebring I think I fit. I also fit my Shadow 1100 fint to (lots of headroom)

Nope; Austin-Healey 3000 BJ-8 Mark III. And, speaking of motorcycles, I should be sleeping right now. Hoping it won't be raining at 0800 today, I'll be joining 13,999(estimated) other bikers for the annual United Bikers of Maine Toys for Tots ride to just outside Maine's Capitol city.

http://kennebecjournal.mainetoday.com/news/local/3111760.shtml

HR

Last edited:
wbarnhill said:
If by sports car you mean MINI Cooper

That ain't no car, it's a gas powered roller skate. Went to the grocery store last weekend, and saw a Mini being loaded onto a wrecker. Well...it used to be a Mini. All I saw was a burned out mess. Totally consumed by flames.

I paid 40.09 for a tank yesterday. the last time I paid under 40 bucks for a tank was July 05. let's see if it happens again.

Oh boy, sure would be nice to fill up my truck with diesel for less than a c-note again...

$2.26 here in the Grand Rapids area at Sam's Club.

woodstock said:
do you really? ugh. how often do you fill it?
only about once a month now, because I commandeer my kid's jeep every chance I get...

I wish youse guys would STFU about what you pay for gas. Even when the reports are the that highest gas prices in the country are in California, we're paying more. We have the highest prices in the country thanks to how much it costs to run the "city (county) that works."

A good price in Lake County is now $2.89 for regular.

Cook County $3.15 This is the place that re-elected a guy in a coma who was replaced at the last possible moment on the ballot by his son and hired 500 new employees during a hiring freeze - and nobody knows who did the hiring since nobody was in charge.

Chicago $3.35

Last edited:
gkainz said:
Oh boy, sure would be nice to fill up my truck with diesel for less than a c-note again...

Good luck. Paid $3.10/gal yesterday, total tab $579 and change. It's not going down nearly the way gasoline is.

Oil companies (the stations, really) are realizing that most diesel sales are going to vehicles that have no choice whether to drive or not so demand will not increase with reduced prices. So, they're keeping prices artificially high to subsidize the loss of profits from gasoline with the cutthroat competition on that side of things.

People generally don't realize that even if your vehicle doesn't burn diesel, you do pay when diesel prices go up. Every single thing you buy comes to you on a truck, most on many trucks before you see it. You ARE paying for high diesel prices.

Back