Virginia, land of license plates

woodstock

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iTravel
Virginia has SCADS of personal plates. We may be first in the nation for "personal plates". They also offer specialized plates - either personal or not - you pay an extra 25 bucks, sometimes more - and you can donate to the cause of your choice (and display this on your plate) or maybe you just have an interest in something - you can display it. For instance, I have a Virginia Aviation plate, which has a little airplane on it and "SEE IT FROM THE SKY" as a motto on the bottom...

there are Horse Enthusiast plates (HE), Pet Friendly plates (with a little dog and cat in the corner) or Air and Space Museum, or Veterans, or 911 plates - literally hundreds of types of specialty plates. hundreds. VA makes a ton of money on these things. (there is a LOT of disposable income here!)

anyway, I make a little game of reading plates in the morning. Lots to choose from. TXNINVA - Texan in Virginia. 2BCAME1 - 2 became 1 (a married guy).

but this one, this morning, I am still scratching my head over.

LV2CRP

anyone want to take a stab at it? it was on a red mustang convertible.

woodstock said:
anyway, I make a little game of reading plates in the morning. Lots to choose from. TXNINVA - Texan in Virginia. 2BCAME1 - 2 became 1 (a married guy).

but this one, this morning, I am still scratching my head over.

LV2CRP
I ain't gonna touch that one!

There's a guy around here who must be a urologist. His plate: HELPUP

I have toyed with getting one that said EDITUR or EDITER, but never bothered.

Outside of the obvious scatalogical translation, best I can come up with is Love to see RP

Used to have an amateur radio plate on my car. I stopped when I discovered the number of hoops I had to jump through to transfer an existing plate between cars (sold one, bought one, wanted to keep the plate). I did have a number of puzzled people ask me what the plate spelled out though.

Bruce

Re: Censor

Mike Schneider said:
In Florida, I don't think that one would have made it past the censor. Mine says: FSU XC. Susan's says FSU BBALL and there is a small baseball emblem near the plate (get it, "the plate"), so folks won't think it means basketball. -- Mike
Florida has a commemerative space shuttle one that came out after Challenger blew up. One person got KABOOM past the state censor, who didn't make the connection that it was a Challenger plate.

Re: Censor

Ken Ibold said:
Florida has a commemerative space shuttle one that came out after Challenger blew up. One person got KABOOM past the state censor, who didn't make the connection that it was a Challenger plate.

hahahahaha

it's awful, but it's funny.

My daughter got me FLYBOY 1 here in PA. It was for my fathers day gift. I'm not particulary big on vanity plates but my daughter got it for me so I love it.

I like my amateur plate. Quick and painless here in SC, except for the quirk when they refused to print I, and instead made my callsign K14CLM. After two calls to Columbia, they admitted they screwed up and issued me a new one.

Here in Washington (state) we have special plates for a number of different causes (on top of the usual vanity plates and ham radio call plates). They charge an extra $30 a year for them and $28 of that goes to a fund for whatever the plate was pushing. My Washington State University plates each put $28 a year in the University's scholarship fund.

Oh, and while there are many more huskies in the state than Cougars, we've outsold the plates about 2 to 1. Much more school spirit than the dogs.

If you do a google on LV2CRP, you get messages on a Scrap book forum.. so could it be "Love to Scrap"?

I shoulda gotten that one! My wife is a scrapbooker, and they have "crops" or get togethers to crop photos and make photo albums and scrapbooks.

Well i'm in Pa. and have 3 Vanity Plates.
N8085A no need to guess that one
84 CPE Thats what my Vette is
83 FL That one is on the Harley ( year and Model)
Dave G.

No vanity plate. I enjoy trying to figure them out, though.

Someone in MI got an Italian bad word past the censor. CA**O. I cracked up when I saw it.

I pass on the amateur radio or N-number plates, due to the large number of creepy people out there. My favorite was the Colorado denim plate that had 8 digits and was impossible to read.

Shipoke said:
Well i'm in Pa. and have 3 Vanity Plates.
N8085A no need to guess that one
84 CPE Thats what my Vette is
83 FL That one is on the Harley ( year and Model)
Dave G.

I tend to ground fly now and then, and prefer my plates to be as forgetable as possible...

I never understood vanity plates. But if your daughter gets them for you, I guess its OK. :D

Two that stick in my mind are:

IXLR8 and

6ULDV8

Neither plate was mine. Especially the second one.

woodstock said:
I saw one on an RX7 once that said WHAT COP

Nothing like giving an officer incentive to find *something* to pull you over for. That is almost as bad as those who display "Bad Cop, No Dounut" bumper stickers on the back of their car.

Bill Jennings said:
Nothing like giving an officer incentive to find *something* to pull you over for. That is almost as bad as those who display "Bad Cop, No Dounut" bumper stickers on the back of their car.
Or a "Catch me" license plate.

Might as well paint a target on your car.

Officer: Looks like you have been drinking. Your eyes are bloodshot.
Motorist: Looks like you have been eating donuts. Your eyes are glazed.

gkainz said:
Officer: Looks like you have been drinking. Your eyes are bloodshot.
Motorist: Looks like you have been eating donuts. Your eyes are glazed.
Officer: Turn around and put your wrists together...

One of my fraternity brothers got "FERMYCK" by telling them he was a Calvin Klein sales rep (blatant lie).

I did see a pic of one back in the 80's that said "PU55Y" (Which I'm sure meant "The 55 mile an hour speed limit stinks, why do we have it?" :rolleyes:)

Another one I used to see walking to school each day was "I PHIL YA".

Other than that, I haven't seen any that are remotely obscene. Unless you're a Minnesota Vikings fan and you see the WI Green Bay Packers plate that says "NY41MN0" :D

tom. said:
I pass on the amateur radio or N-number plates, due to the large number of creepy people out there. My favorite was the Colorado denim plate that had 8 digits and was impossible to read.

Have you seen the standard green/white colorado vanity plates that are totally flat to save manufacturing costs? The numbers are not raised like regular plates. It's just a flat piece of metal with the numbers printed on it. I had a boss a few years back that no more than crossed the state line and got pulled over and hauled down to the police station for fake license plates. Apparently there was a lot of that going on and the CO DMV had to do something about it.

A local pilot has this plate. (picture taken last spring)

Attachments

• P1010036.JPG
    P1010036.JPG
    639.6 KB · Views: 6
fgcason said:
Have you seen the standard green/white colorado vanity plates that are totally flat to save manufacturing costs? The numbers are not raised like regular plates. It's just a flat piece of metal with the numbers printed on it. I had a boss a few years back that no more than crossed the state line and got pulled over and hauled down to the police station for fake license plates. Apparently there was a lot of that going on and the CO DMV had to do something about it.

They're like that in Washington state, as well. Looks really cheap.

Bill Jennings said:

I had a neighbor in CA who had 20 SAC for plates... he's doing time now.

Back