11th Annual HOPS Party -- July 31, 2013

Jay Honeck

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jay Honeck
This is your first invitation to our annual HOPS Party in the North 40 during Oshkosh Airventure. ("HOPS" stands for "Homebuilt, Owning, Piloting, and Student" -- the old rec.aviation groups.)

As always, it will be held at our campsite in the North 40 aircraft camping area on Wednesday during the week of Airventure. This year, that will be Wednesday, July 31, 2013.

If you're wondering what it's all about, here are some pix from each year's event.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...073741826.100000777116758&type=1&l=8e0bba8da4

It's laid back, fun, and allows all of us to put faces with the names we've seen on-line for years. We provide the food -- "admission" is a six-pack of good beer from your hometown. Because we're from everywhere, this lets us all sample beers from all over the country.

There will be more announcements to come... :)

This is your first invitation to our annual HOPS Party in the North 40 during Oshkosh Airventure. ("HOPS" stands for "Homebuilt, Owning, Piloting, and Student" -- the old rec.aviation groups.)

As always, it will be held at our campsite in the North 40 aircraft camping area on Wednesday during the week of Airventure. This year, that will be Wednesday, July 31, 2013.

If you're wondering what it's all about, here are some pix from each year's event.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...073741826.100000777116758&type=1&l=8e0bba8da4

It's laid back, fun, and allows all of us to put faces with the names we've seen on-line for years. We provide the food -- "admission" is a six-pack of good beer from your hometown. Because we're from everywhere, this lets us all sample beers from all over the country.

There will be more announcements to come... :)
And we'll do our annual Camp Scholler party the preceding night. I suspect Jay won't have quite as many margaritas this time! :vomit: I'll start a new thread on it later.

And we'll do our annual Camp Scholler party the preceding night. I suspect Jay won't have quite as many margaritas this time! :vomit: I'll start a new thread on it later.

Ahem. If China was pouring "margaritas" I would have been fine. Or, at least, less bad.

What he was pouring was warm tequila with a splash of strawberry flavoring, and (by the end) no ice. After a thirsty, hot day on the flight line, that was a bad idea for both of us.

The mysterious part is that I drank it anyway. That's the problem with alcohol -- having a little makes having a lot sound like a good idea. :D

Ahem. If China was pouring "margaritas" I would have been fine. Or, at least, less bad.

What he was pouring was warm tequila with a splash of strawberry flavoring, and (by the end) no ice. After a thirsty, hot day on the flight line, that was a bad idea for both of us.

The mysterious part is that I drank it anyway. That's the problem with alcohol -- having a little makes having a lot sound like a good idea. :D
Obviously, you weren't drinking my margaritas, because I promise you, I've never used sstrawberry anything.

Obviously, you weren't drinking my margaritas, because I promise you, I've never used sstrawberry anything.

He was indeed, but after one or two the memory grows a bit hazy. We were disappointed we didn't get to Jay's do last year, we had places to be. It should make Jay feel better that China suffered horribly on the way back.

I'm planning to make my first trip to Oshkosh this year. Will be flying my Cardinal.

-Dan

It made running into you later, far more entertaining than usual... Which was quite fun! Gotta love OSH...

It made running into you later, far more entertaining than usual... Which was quite fun! Gotta love OSH...

In my 30 Oshkosh's, that next day was the worst I've ever felt. I was literally praying for death -- a death that would not come.

It was so bad I canceled my RV-7 test flight.

It was so bad that I could only choke down WATER at my own HOPS party.

It was so bad that I haven't even LOOKED at tequila since then.

God, I can't wait to go back. I've been dreaming about the North 40 lately. There is simply no better place on this planet than Oshkosh in July. :yesnod:

He was indeed, but after one or two the memory grows a bit hazy. We were disappointed we didn't get to Jay's do last year, we had places to be. It should make Jay feel better that China suffered horribly on the way back.

I don't ever want to see that man again. He is evil, incarnate, the way he played on the weakness of a drunken innkeeper and just kept feeding me tequila... :lol:

Tell him we'll do it again in July. MINUS the tequila. :cheers:

Aren't you gonna have an RV-8 by then? If so, are you really gonna park in the N40?

Aren't you gonna have an RV-8 by then? If so, are you really gonna park in the N40?

I don't know, and probably.

The N40 is my people. I've been there forever, and I know almost everyone by sight, if not by name. We're even working with the Women Fly group to get a "corral" this year, if EAA gets off their dead butts and puts them together.

So what do you recommend for a first timer to bring with them?

Can you ship things ahead, or do you generally bring everything with you?

Thanks,

-dan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

So what do you recommend for a first timer to bring with them?

Can you ship things ahead, or do you generally bring everything with you?

Thanks,

-dan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Dan, we've done it both ways. For years, we hauled EVERYTHING. With our Pathfinder's 1460 pound useful load, this was possible.

With an eye toward the future, however, in 2010 I acquired a 16' trailer that we now keep off-site in the Oshkosh area. The week of OSH, a farmer buddy hauls it to near the North 40 for us.

Inside are bikes, tables, chairs, awnings, etc. We use the bikes (and a little trailer for the bike) to schlep all of our gear to our campsite. Since you never know where you're plane is going to be parked, that's as good as it gets.

Because of this arrangement, it is now possible for us to attend OSH in ANY aircraft, from a Cub to a C-130, and to not have to haul much of anything other than our clothing.

In your case, however, you FOR SURE want two things:

1. A tent that is windproof. This tent doesn't exist, but get one that SAYS it's windproof, at least. I bought a mountaineering tent last year with fully 26 tie-down points, guaranteed to withstand gale force winds. The inevitable storm during the week snapped one of the poles.

This is my third tent in the last 11 years. They ONLY get used at OSH, and they routinely get shredded there.

2. A queen-sized inflatable airbed. These things have changed Oshkosh 100% for the better, as they are as comfortable as your bed at home. They come with a battery-powered air pump. The good ones will only need one shot of air during the week.

After that, everything is negotiable. A nice folding chair is good. A little campstove for making coffee is nice, but if you hook up with us, we've got everything you might need, thanks to the trailer -- including a real coffee maker. :) We share nice, in exchange for beer.

Bring clothes for everything from 50 - 110 degrees. I've had both extremes in the same week in OSH. (And people say I'm nuts for moving to an island in the Gulf. The weather in the upper Midwest is WAY more violent than anything we've seen here. And here, we get four days warning. In OSH, you get MAYBE 20 minutes, if you're lucky.)

You will need a big, floppy, light colored hat that shades your ears. Spray on sunscreen is a must. Loose fitting cotton clothing is your friend. Two pairs of comfy shoes, broken in LONG before OSH, are essential.

You will walk MILES each day. If you're not in shape for that, start walking NOW. I estimated that I walked between 25 - 30 miles last year, not counting the distances we rode our bikes. (You can't take the bikes on the grounds, so they are only useful for getting from your campsite to the main entrance. This can be a mile or more.)

The hottest I have ever been was in OSH -- and I live in South Texas. It can be brutal, so have a way to carry water with you, and drink it constantly. Dehydration there is a real problem. (And don't rehydrate with booze. Ask me how I know. Better yet, ask Steingar. :lol:)

Don't bring your folding chair onto the grounds. It's simply not worth the aggravation to carry all day.

Make a list of things you want to see. After 30 years we have developed a methodical way of seeing OSH that ALMOST allows us to see it all in a week. We usually miss something, but it's usually minor.

For example, we will set one day aside for the Warbirds, one day for Vintage, etc. We check the big exposition buildings throughout the week, simply because SOMETIMES the big manufacturers roll out "show specials" midweek. (This was far more common back when there was actual competition in avionics.)

There's plenty to see and do. If you love aviation, you will be like a goofy little kid all week. The first time you go, you will be overwhelmed. Take it all in and enjoy it!

I thought the HOPS was in honor of the beer that is being consumed. Since work last year got too busy for me to attend except for 1 day, I have already taken the whole week off. I've learned it is impossible to see what you want to in 1 day. And I will also have a car the first and last weekend, if not the whole week available. So I will volunteer to be the driver for the Wal-Mart trips. Quick question for the people in the know. If I leave with my plane for a little trip through the skies, can I leave my campsite set up, or do I have to tear it down?

You can leave it.

Yes, but...

Mary and I have found that the "hassle factor" involved with pulling your plane out, starting up, dealing with special ATC rules, finding your site when you return, not blowing everyone's campsite over, etc., outweighs the fun of flying over Oshkosh that week.

In fact, ironically, the week of Oshkosh we actually fly LESS than any other week of the year. But its worth it.

Yes, but...

Mary and I have found that the "hassle factor" involved with pulling your plane out, starting up, dealing with special ATC rules, finding your site when you return, not blowing everyone's campsite over, etc., outweighs the fun of flying over Oshkosh that week.

In fact, ironically, the week of Oshkosh we actually fly LESS than any other week of the year. But its worth it.

I thought it would a bit of a hassle. But I might have to leave at least once to go get the wife.

I'm part of the Women Fly group and we often have planes go out and back. Not really a problem if you are part of a group so that the plane parkers know to not back fill your spot. Make a sign with your row number so you can wave it at the parkers.

I don't ever want to see that man again. He is evil, incarnate, the way he played on the weakness of a drunken innkeeper and just kept feeding me tequila... :lol:

Tell him we'll do it again in July. MINUS the tequila. :cheers:

Jay, China went with the Savages (our old group of friends) to Put in Bay earlier that summer for a bachelor party weekend. We drank like crazy and no one got drunk. First time since we were in college. It convinced him he wouldn't get that drunk, and that's why he did. We WILL see you and yours at the Show. And I suspect he'll visit your hotel in Texas, where he's from.

Jay, China went with the Savages (our old group of friends) to Put in Bay earlier that summer for a bachelor party weekend. We drank like crazy and no one got drunk. First time since we were in college. It convinced him he wouldn't get that drunk, and that's why he did. We WILL see you and yours at the Show. And I suspect he'll visit your hotel in Texas, where he's from.

Aieee! I have nightmares about that guy. :lol:

Actually, we had a great time. Just a bit TOO great. :mad2:

You would think after half a century on this planet, I would learn. Maybe the lesson has stuck with me, this time, as I haven't touched anything like tequila since OSH 2012. Lesson learned: On a hot day, stick with beer and water.

I am counting the days until OSH 2013. :cheers:

I thought it would a bit of a hassle. But I might have to leave at least once to go get the wife.

Where's Kent? He's Mr. In and Out all week with whatever airplane he's in. He's gotten getting back to his North 40 spot even if he has to shut down and negotiate with freaked out flaggers, a science. :)

Jay forgot the most important thing. Whatever you can find that is close to 100% DEET bug repellent, get some. At least 30 gallons. Bathe in it. Haha.

I had a mosquito bite me through the still bleeding hole where I'd just killed another one. That bite didn't fully heal until November 2012. I wish I were kidding. :(

But worth it.

There's just nothing like being woken up at the crack of dawn in your tent after staying up until 2AM the night before, by not just one, but the noise of a flight of radial engined aircraft taking off in formation.

Followed by a DC-3, followed by the ever-present Ford Tri-Motors giving rides, followed by a few Cessnas, followed by a bizjet, followed by the Aeroshell Team headed out with a photo-ship to catch first light, followed by...

Well it just doesn't stop unless the field goes IFR, and even then, there's a few still coming and going.

We had a Thursday morning departure last year and the field was IMC in the morning with slightly worse to the West. By the time we taxiied out, it had started to burn off and the skies to the West were clearing, but diddling around and getting an early morning IFR slot-reservation the night before via iPad, meant we were all by ourselves... We even had to wait for a VW to drop off our flagger to get to the right runway...

"Follow the flagmen..."

"They're not here yet, but we see them coming so we'll do a run-up while we wait..."

... with a long line of aircraft just starting to crank and taxi as the field went VFR, for our departure...

And I'll admit to leaving the prop full forward and a little wing wag as we passed the North 40...

It was *my* job to wake up the slumbering throng last year. Couldn't quite make the 182 sound like a radial, but we did our best! :)

I plan on bringing the Flybaby this year.

In my 30 Oshkosh's, that next day was the worst I've ever felt. I was literally praying for death -- a death that would not come.
It was so bad I canceled my RV-7 test flight.
It was so bad that I could only choke down WATER at my own HOPS party.

It was so bad that I haven't even LOOKED at tequila since then.
Everyone has a tequila story.
I haven't touched tequila in 20 years. After a few beers I might tell you mine.

Dan, we've done it both ways. For years, we hauled EVERYTHING. With our Pathfinder's 1460 pound useful load, this was possible.

<lots of good stuff deleted>

Because of this arrangement, it is now possible for us to attend OSH in ANY aircraft, from a Cub to a C-130, and to not have to haul much of anything other than our clothing.

Jay,

Thanks for the info! Looking forward to going for the first time, and getting a chance to meet a lot of folks!

-Dan

Jay forgot the most important thing. Whatever you can find that is close to 100% DEET bug repellent, get some. At least 30 gallons. Bathe in it. Haha.

Maybe it's because I grew up in WI, or maybe it's because I stink so bad after a day on the flight line that they don't like me, but I've never found OSH mosquitoes to be any worse than anywhere else, and usually better than most.

We don't normally have mosquitoes here on the island, thanks to a stiff sea breeze and drought, but a week after it rains, if the wind dies down, I have never seen anything like them. It's like they know THIS is their one and only chance, and they descend on you like a scene from a sci-fi movie.

In OSH, they know they have all summer, so they're more patient. :D

Maybe it's because I grew up in WI, or maybe it's because I stink so bad after a day on the flight line that they don't like me, but I've never found OSH mosquitoes to be any worse than anywhere else, and usually better than most.

We don't normally have mosquitoes here on the island, thanks to a stiff sea breeze and drought, but a week after it rains, if the wind dies down, I have never seen anything like them. It's like they know THIS is their one and only chance, and they descend on you like a scene from a sci-fi movie.

That's part of my hatred for them. It's too dry here for most bugs unless you're near bodies of water. So take the bugless Colorado boy and drop him where there's "normal" amounts of bugs, and he's mildly miffed.

But the airplanes make it alllllll better. :)

I plan on bringing the Flybaby this year.

hows the speed mod work coming along to maintain arrival speed? ;)

that will be cool to have the flybaby there. usually there aren't to many of them that make it.

hows the speed mod work coming along to maintain arrival speed? ;)

that will be cool to have the flybaby there. usually there aren't to many of them that make it.

I'm writing the RFQ right now and am hoping I can get Lo Presti on board. Surely there is a way to squeeze 10 more knots out of it.

matt already tried to get LoPresti on board years ago. They probably have a "48ML" filter on their email to send it straight to the trash, or automatically print it so they can hang it on the wall and have a good laugh.

No, i'm not kidding.

I just saw my first mosquitoes of the year today. Bastards!

Oshkosh mosquitos are hit and miss. The first two years I attended, we didn't see a mosquito other than the one owned by Kermit Weeks.

The third year I flew in, I took my Dad and he inquired about whether he needed to bring mosquito repellent. "Naah, I've never had any problems."

We landed after the show one evening and were immediately swarmed as we set up camp in the North 40. Fortunately, at that time, there was a camp store in what is the warbirds area today, and I literally ran over there and got a $3 bottle of "Off" for $11 or whatever... Pretty much a stupidity tax on me.

I've had Oshkosh mosquitoes bite me through a sweatshirt and T-shirt underneath. Tough little bastards.

Josh - Kent (flyingcheesehead) should be along to discuss this. I believe he makes many trips into and out of OSH each year, sometimes flying to MWC to pick up people and bring them into AirVenture. He also has a great YouTube video of such a trip, which has been used in some quarters as a training video if I recall correctly.

I think he's had some difficulty getting back to his original camping or parking spot on occasion, due to how and where the Flightline volunteers are marshaling aircraft at the time. Hopefully he can discuss this as well.

Jay ...

Right now it is a tossup -- fly or drive. Fly camping, no problem. Drive camping ... what is the protocol to find somebody in the N40 who will let you camp under their wing if you pay the camper fee and promise not to touch their airplane?

We anticipate arriving mid-day Sunday and departing Thursday very early.

Jim & Cyndi

Jay ...

Right now it is a tossup -- fly or drive. Fly camping, no problem. Drive camping ... what is the protocol to find somebody in the N40 who will let you camp under their wing if you pay the camper fee and promise not to touch their airplane?

We anticipate arriving mid-day Sunday and departing Thursday very early.

Jim & Cyndi

Don't think you'll be able you are allowed to camp in the N40, but we should be able to make arrangements in Camp Scholler, where many of us will be.

Corrected that. The rules say you can't, but it can be done.
www.airventure.org/planning/aircraft_camping.html said:
Only one tent per plane unless a second tent is needed for immediate family members.

Last edited:
Back