Dumbest thing you have done and lived to tell about it

I wanted to see the inside of a cloud. Hadn't finished my ir yet. Didn't get disoriented but looking back it was dumb

Hi, I'm a Flight Standards Inspector from the FAA. You may look at this lightly, but we here at the Administration take this as a very serious issue. Our IT department is in the process of obtaining proper warrants and tracking your IP address; we will be in touch shortly via mail, and your license will promptly be suspended until the end of the investigation. You were obviously concerned about us finding you, as you posted as Unreg, but be aware that we will find you and hunt you down for this foolish decision of knowingly and purposefully flying into IMC conditions without proper rating or filing an IFR flight plan.

We will be in touch.

;)

We're not Happy till your not happy? We're here to help? I'm from the F.A.A.?
Things said before **** hits the fan.

Better to hear "Sorry the test showed positive" & "Here's your perscription."

Hi, I'm a Flight Standards Inspector from the FAA. You may look at this lightly, but we here at the Administration take this as a very serious issue. Our IT department is in the process of obtaining proper warrants and tracking your IP address; we will be in touch shortly via mail, and your license will promptly be suspended until the end of the investigation. You were obviously concerned about us finding you, as you posted as Unreg, but be aware that we will find you and hunt you down for this foolish decision of knowingly and purposefully flying into IMC conditions without proper rating or filing an IFR flight plan.

We will be in touch.

;)

Joke?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk 2

On my 2nd ever solo xc I somehow read the wind wrong and landed with the wind on a short runway. Well almost landed. When it wouldn't sit down and I executed a go around with power lines in sight, lets just say that it woke me up!

Just the other day I opened the fresh air vents in my Cessna the wrong direction only to have a small group of yellow jackets swarm around me for the remainder of the flight.

Also, neglected to look around properly after getting cleared to land came within an uncomfortable proximity of another craft.

Turning far too steeply in x-wind.

Used "cabin heat" instead of "carb heat" for landing set up.

Neglected to adjust trim tab to proper position for take off, popped up off the runway like a jack in the box.

Received taxiing instructions from ground but repeated back my desired route instead (accidently) and then took my desired route. It was my very first solo flight so I didn't get reprimanded and since there was no traffic on my desired route either, they just let me go ahead with it.

Thankfully that's it for now.

Flying into Gateway on my multi CR, ATC calls up and says Seminole XXXAT verify you are squawking VFR...

Turns out we were squawking the same code as a Southwest flight coming into Phoenix.

Totally unrelated, when I moved here to Iowa, I was going through my flight bag, saw my medical, put it in the trash pile and threw it away. $2 lesson.

Last edited:
Dumbest thing I ever did was to loan my plane to a "friend". I went to fly and the tanks were down to fumes. I found his medical in the baggage compartment and it was a special issuance about a year out of date. :mad2:That was over ten years ago.

Paul
Salome, AZ

Tried to kill my CFI during private pilot training...
Botched landing in a 152, went to go around, about 50 foot AGL dumped all flaps, started sinking toward runway, natural instinct is to pull back on yoke which is what I did, managed to arrest descent without stalling in ground effect before flying away. Lesson learned that day.

Trusted that my autopilot had locked onto the VOR and was doing my flying for me, in actual. Proceeded to not pay attention for long enough to allow scary things to happen. Never, ever, again.

By special request, I am starting a new thread.

I realize you all may have posted these things before but I wanted to know:

What are some silly things you have done?

I will start:

(Almost) left a chain tie down on the wing. Had to shut down the plane, get out, unchain, get back in. I did not taxi - almost did - I saw the chain out of the corner of my eye.

Dropped fuel dipstick into fuel tank.

Filled fuel tank way too full at gas pump while self pumping gas and took an avgas bath.

Sprayed windshied cleaner into the wind and had it land on my face instead of on windshield.

When using fuel tester and dumping fuel onto ground (no we don't pour it back in), again I have done this into the wind and had the stuff land on me.

Left seat belt undone and hanging out the door. Heard banging sound.

Somehow my door came open in flight even though I checked it during my run-up checklist.

During solo, forgot to retract 10 degrees of flaps and flew the pattern, something felt funny the whole time and didn't notice until doing my approach setup / landing stuff.

Forgot to put the mixture / carb heat / flaps / trim / whatever to where it was supposed to be.

Forgot items in plane / at airport.

Used the yoke instead of my feet to steer.

Forgot to close VFR flight plan (until I remembered). But felt stupid for forgetting.

Etc

Seatbelt hanging out the door is always great,did that once. Had to re read my check list once at a safe altitude.:mad2:

Tried to kill my CFI during private pilot training...
Botched landing in a 152, went to go around, about 50 foot AGL dumped all flaps, started sinking toward runway, natural instinct is to pull back on yoke which is what I did, managed to arrest descent without stalling in ground effect before flying away. Lesson learned that day.
I tried to take off a 150 with 40 deg flaps on my first solo touch and go. Amazing how the little plane wont climb back from earth. A lot of students dont survive that kind of mistake.I did the same and rode the ground effect untill the flaps were up.:yikes:

I gave the mixture a twist rich landing at 8000 feet density altitude in a 177RG (injected), thinking that would approximate best power for a go-around. The engine flooded and stopped during rollout (surprisingly smoothly), and wouldn't restart. It came to rest halfway down a 4000 foot runway. This runway had no taxiways. I pushed it off onto the shoulder and had to wait an hour before it would start.

Not aviation related but..

I went out to my bee hives this morning wearing shorts. No problem but on this particular day I was going commando! So I pop the top of the hive and out comes a bee and right up my shorts. My initial reaction was to grab my junk so the bees would not reach them. Then it stings me on the inner portion of my leg and I start to run toward my wife with other bees chasing me. She is yelling at me saying don’t run towards me. While I'm running I'm trying to get the stinger out and when I do I mash right back into a different spot. I finally made it away and got the stinger out and 8 hours later it is hurting like mad! What did I learn...don't go to the bee yard while commando...er okay in shorts! I used to be able to work them in shorts and a t shirt. Now I suit up every time...except for this time.

I know I posted a bit about it on the "Daily Pic" thread and my medical topic thread, but I guess I oughta post it here, since it's something that just happened that I quite literally barely lived to tell about it and it's indeed quite dumb.

On April 6th I wrecked an ATV while not wearing a helmet, resulting in a forward flip totaling the quad, and smashing me face-first into the ground at 52mph, with the quad landing on top of me. That resulted in a shattered nose, massive lacerations on my face and body causing lot's of blood loss, and a broken back from fracturing my T6-T10 vertebrae. I took about 30mins to stumble back to my farmhouse for help. They called 911, and the first-responder immediately called for a medevac flight. They flew me 45mins to St. Louis instead of the lesser local hospitals in the small towns.

Just over two weeks later now, my nose is back to normal with no visible cuts or scars from treatment. I still have several large cuts on my face, that I'm hoping will fade away. I also have no brain issues. For my back, I'm wearing a brace for a few more weeks, but don't have any pain. I'm back to work, but only doing light-duty desk work dispatching airplanes and such.

I'm extremely lucky to be basically back to normal, especially in the brain and back department; I came so close to dying, or at least being paralyzed or brain damaged.

Attachments

• 17780_2337708684180_1473588349_n.jpg
    17780_2337708684180_1473588349_n.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 220
  • 534329_2337708804183_1565609187_n.jpg
    534329_2337708804183_1565609187_n.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 227
  • 62633_2337708924186_1735502440_n.jpg
    62633_2337708924186_1735502440_n.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_0127.JPG
    IMG_0127.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 208
I know I posted a bit about it on the "Daily Pic" thread and my medical topic thread, but I guess I oughta post it here, since it's something that just happened that I quite literally barely lived to tell about it and it's indeed quite dumb.

On April 6th I wrecked an ATV while not wearing a helmet, resulting in a forward flip totaling the quad, and smashing me face-first into the ground at 52mph, with the quad landing on top of me. That resulted in a shattered nose, massive lacerations on my face and body causing lot's of blood loss, and a broken back from fracturing my T6-T10 vertebrae. I took about 30mins to stumble back to my farmhouse for help. They called 911, and the first-responder immediately called for a medevac flight. They flew me 45mins to St. Louis instead of the lesser local hospitals in the small towns.

Just over two weeks later now, my nose is back to normal with no visible cuts or scars from treatment. I still have several large cuts on my face, that I'm hoping will fade away. I also have no brain issues. For my back, I'm wearing a brace for a few more weeks, but don't have any pain. I'm back to work, but only doing light-duty desk work dispatching airplanes and such.

I'm extremely lucky to be basically back to normal, especially in the brain and back department; I came so close to dying, or at least being paralyzed or brain damaged.

You where very lucky. A lot of people die stuck under those 4 wheelers. You where also lucky you did not have brain issue's.

After dropping my bike I lost most abilities to do much anything. I had to relearn alot. I have a really hard time with spelling and I can not write much but my name I have to print everything.

I too crushed my t-5 t-6 l-4 l-5, the pain I live with from these breaks is sometime more then I can take. A few days ago I hurt myself moving wrong... The pain was so bad I could not hold anything in my stomache for a few days.

The back will be the hardest to get over, you will never really get over this. You will carry this with you from this time forward. I told my wife I am really ready to depart this world, I can not live with much more. I hope you do not have the same fate as I have had.

I will pray for you......

When I was around 4 my dad had a Rambler. I was riding in the front seat and leaning on the door. We take a corner and the door opens and out I go. My dad grabbed me by my foot before I fell out.

So over next to dad I go and on down the road we go. I bend over and when I come up I hit the gear shift and put the car in park. All this happened within just a mile or so.

I have an older sister by about 14 months. I was agian about 4 years old. Sis and I are with dad and he runs into the post office and leaves us kids in the car with the car running.

I tell sis to work the brake and gas and I stand up in the seat and away we go. I look up in the mirror and see dad running out of the post office chasing the car as we drive away. We make it down the block where I run into a mail box...lol

When I was around 4 my dad had a Rambler. I was riding in the front seat and leaning on the door. We take a corner and the door opens and out I go. My dad grabbed me by my foot before I fell out.

So over next to dad I go and on down the road we go. I bend over and when I come up I hit the gear shift and put the car in park. All this happened within just a mile or so.

I have an older sister by about 14 months. I was agian about 4 years old. Sis and I are with dad and he runs into the post office and leaves us kids in the car with the car running.

I tell sis to work the brake and gas and I stand up in the seat and away we go. I look up in the mirror and see dad running out of the post office chasing the car as we drive away. We make it down the block where I run into a mail box...lol
Hilarious. But I think that may have been a dumb thing your Dad did, and maybe he should post the story LoL

Hilarious. But I think that may have been a dumb thing your Dad did, and maybe he should post the story LoL

My dad took off not long after this and we never heard from him but a few times in 40 years.

He is dead today.

My dad and I carry the same name. My mom went after my dad for 10,000 in back child support.

Many years later I go through a divorce. Six months after my divorce I get a letter from the courts that I am 10,000 behind in childsupport.

The state of Illinois never could get this straight and I eneded up paying this 10,000 debt and my x got all the money.

Every now and then someone comes along and see's I have been wronged and I get refunded the money. Then someone else will come along and start the hole thing over again. This has happened twice. I recieved one big lump check, then they start taking from me again, and the next time I received 15 bucks a month untill it was paid. Then a few months later they start taking part of my SS to pay this back again. As we speak they are taking 15 bucks a month for this...I have been divorced for almost 20 years, my kids are all in their 30's and I still today pay childsupport.

I gave up trying to get this straightened out. I was told by an attorney its just cheaper to pay this money and forget about it.

I forgot to mentionhow many times the stae of Illinois locked up my bank accounts because they said I was a dead beat dad.

I lost my license and was harrased in many ways..and I have never been a dead beat dad..I always paid my childsupport...I even had to pay childsupport for the child I raised...not to mention I paid for my own childsupport that was do to my mom.

I never want to do that again and I wish it would stop.....

Last edited:
Not aviation related but..

I went out to my bee hives this morning wearing shorts. No problem but on this particular day I was going commando! So I pop the top of the hive and out comes a bee and right up my shorts. My initial reaction was to grab my junk so the bees would not reach them. Then it stings me on the inner portion of my leg and I start to run toward my wife with other bees chasing me. She is yelling at me saying don’t run towards me. While I'm running I'm trying to get the stinger out and when I do I mash right back into a different spot. I finally made it away and got the stinger out and 8 hours later it is hurting like mad! What did I learn...don't go to the bee yard while commando...er okay in shorts! I used to be able to work them in shorts and a t shirt. Now I suit up every time...except for this time.

~~~~ I had Italian bees that could be worked without a suit but in this part of the country all hives end up as killer bees... Bee suit over blue jeans and long sleeve shirt with duct tape around ankles and sleeves now required. I can't even imagine shorts etc. bless your heart, as they say ;)

H A S - your social security number is different... Seems to me the courts could've figured it out!

H A S - your social security number is different... Seems to me the courts could've figured it out!

You would think...

I went to the hospital in really bad shape. The doctor comes in and tells me there is nothing they can do for me and this doctor has two big dudes carry me out and put me in my car. They had to carry me for I could not walk.

I had to be driven to another hospital where I spend 2 weeks in ICU. After being released from the hopital I call the other hospital and speak to the CEO. I ask this man what it takes to get admitted to this hospital.

He says let me call you back...He calls me back and tells me I was just in their emergency room for pancratic cancer and they could do nothing for me..

I tell him he is reading my fathers chart and I have not been in that hospital it was my father.

I got all this on recording I told him at the time I was recording him...

You would think people would look at numbers..but they don't...

Last edited:
You do realize there are health care providers on this board. Anyone who reads this will know it is a bunch of bs.

Sorry, you are to sick for us to help you. These 2 big guys will carry you out to your car. Have a nice day!

sigh,

You would think...

I went to the hospital in really bad shape. The doctor comes in and tells me there is nothing they can do for me and this doctor has two big dudes carry me out and put me in my car. They had to carry me for I could not walk.

I had to be driven to another hospital where I spend 2 weeks in ICU. After being released from the hopital I call the other hospital and speak to the CEO. I ask this man what it takes to get admitted to this hospital.

He says let me call you back...He calls me back and tells me I was just in their emergency room for pancratic cancer and they could do nothing for me..

I tell him he is reading my fathers chart and I have not been in that hospital it was my father.

I got all this on recording I told him at the time I was recording him...

You would think people would look at numbers..but they don't...

Years ago, before HIPPA and computer records, I went to the doctor for a trivial issue. He came into the room and put a 3" thick patient file on his little desk. It had my name on it. I told him it couldn't be mine. He checked the number and it was a different patient with the same name. He left and came back with the correct file with 3 pages in it...

I think one of the dumbest things I've done is read this whole thread in one sitting, so I definitely have to follow up with a story at least:

Last summer I took a friend's family up for an aerial tour of LA, except if you know anything about LA, it gets quite toasty in the summer. Especially in Van Nuys where it was easily 100 degrees+ on the tarmac. We took off without incident (full plane), and I showed them Hollywood, and we flew over LAX on the miniroute, up to Malibu again and back to Van Nuys, and by then the wind had shifted to a pretty strong crosswind. Add the large quantity of fuel and the full plane it was not going to be easy to land, but I set my heart at rest by thinking oh they'll give me 16R (the big runway) because it's close to the parking spot. Well I got 16R then on final a waiting Gulfstream got its IFR release, so they smacked me with a last minute 16L landing clearance. I stupidly accepted it, even though this was my first flight in that specific airplane with that big a load in a year at least. I was descending down for 16L and it looked pretty good then a rogue gust of wind blew me way off to the side and I couldn't hold the centerline. Since I was flying a low wing cherokee (the one in my picture), they sure love to float so I immediately knew I couldn't make the runway and applied full power, flaps up, go around. Figured it was better than landing between the runway and taxiway...

But this go around was different. The plane was full! It sluggishly tried to gain altitude but the airspeed wouldn't come up so I momentarily brought the nose down and saw the ground and a nice citation sovereign taxiing in front of me. I'll never forget that view, it seemed to last forever! Thankfully I was in a modified cherokee 235 so all of the horses came right back and I got back into the pattern with my heart beating rapidly and some tense passengers. Mind you I was 20 and there were grandparents in their 70s and their offspring in his late 40sish so they definitely were a bit on edge.

Returned to land with a constant crosswind on the small runway again without incident though, no rogue gusts just some sweaty palms.

Got back on the ground and they asked me when they could go next. I guess it was fun for them somehow...

But the stupid thing here was loading the plane with lots of fuel AND lots of people on a really really hot day and accepting the small runway with a crosswind in an uncomfortable situation, and my 6th wife. She can't help things either:dunno:

Last edited:
You do realize there are health care providers on this board. Anyone who reads this will know it is a bunch of bs.

Sorry, you are to sick for us to help you. These 2 big guys will carry you out to your car. Have a nice day!

sigh,

Ron I will post the audio to this call if you do not believe me. You can hear it for yourself.

If you knew me you would know I do not tell fibs nor do I lie...EVER.....

There are those whom believe everyone lies for they lie. For if they lie the hole world must lie...Sorry but some of us tell the truth...

Like I said I will post the audio to this phone call and prove you....WRONG....

I was carried out to my car..My mom and my son had to drive me to another hospital....

BS...I think not.....

I was so upset about this happening to me that I made an appointment to meet the CEO.

I then went to radio shack and purchased me one of those little recorders. When I set down at the table to talk with this man, I do not remember his name but we will hear it in the recording, I asked this man if I could record this conversation. He says yes.

You must understand I was on some very strong drugs and I could not htink as fast as this man but I tried. So my questions are kinda stupid. But this ceo says what happened to me how they mixed my records with my fathers and how they carried me out to my car and how I spend two weeks in a ICU at another hospital.

This happened in 2007 and I almost through that recorder in the trash about 1 1/2 years ago. Something told me to keep it.

When my wife wakes I will go find this recorder and post this recording.

Notice I did not say I never lied in my life. When I found the Lord I found one does not need to lie. if one tells the truth the rest will work itself out.

Lie and see what you get, a life of lies....You are only as good as your word. If people think the only thing out of your mouth is lies...what kind of person is that..Not one I want to be.

I say screw man made laws and follow the Lord...You will never need man made laws again for you will never break them if you follow our Lord.

Sorry I had to vent......

Dude, you lost your credibility a long time ago, and getting huffy and religious about it isn't even slightly convincing.

I speak nothing but the truth..Just because you choose not to believe it does not make it a lie...

You know not what you speak......

Dude, you lost your credibility a long time ago, and getting huffy and religious about it isn't even slightly convincing.

You remind me of the doctor I went to see whom rebuild's vertibra's. He inserts a ballon and blows it up then fills this with some sort of cement.

He is standing there reading my charts and looks at me and says....

Quote...These are not your charts for I only see people in their 70's and 80's with these problems....

As he is waalking out of the office I am yelling at him...denial is not just a river.....

But I bet I am making this up too...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back