Bulk, New Car Engines?

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
Lets say someone wanted to buy a lot of engines, brand new. Where would one find them? All I can find are used/rebuilt ones.

Also - what is the cheapest, new engine on the market right now?

This is for a car, not a plane.

What type of car/engine?

Lets call it the "NickMobile" and say it doesn't exist yet (because it doesn't).

Cheapest, brand new, model matters none. 3 cylinder engine, 4 cylinder engine, whatever. Just cheap, new, and potentially, could be purchased in lots, if necessary.

Most carmakers and engine makers will deal with fleet sales out of a regional or corp sales facility. GM has a whole division that sells to the marine industry. The engines for boats are somewhat different than for cars, so the engines are assembled with some special components installed from the factory.

You would contact the regional sales person for the engine maker you are interested in, express an interest in fleet sales of engines for (marine, industry, oil field, etc) your need and they will assign a sales rep to you. That person will contact you about what feature sets you need for the engines, and then the dance begins. You'll need to define the operating parameters, and the support stuff, and if it's all in order, then you'll get a price per lot quantity.

Volvo also sells a lot of industry engines, and they are quite adept at doing this. Some other engine makers refuse to sell component or block products, but that is kind of rare.

<edit: since you said cheap is a goal, a serious warning is in order. You should be very careful of some of the scams going on with Chinese mfg companies. A friend of mine from another board go burned for thousands on aftermaket crankshafts that were supposed to be made in China. The 'tooling' costs to make one crankshaft were pretty bad, and once the contract was let, the demand for more start-up tooling was very high. Of course, the guy that cashed the check disappeard and no crankshafts were ever forged.>

Last edited:
Ok - lets start with 1 for now - what is the cheapest engine I can buy new for one use, and where can I buy it from? Everything I see is used or remanufactured.

If you don't need big, Rotax is the closest manufacturer of bulk, standalone motors, but the biggest thing they make that isn't an aircraft engine is a 991 cc V twin motorcycle engine. Their snowmobile engines could possibly be adapted. They would develop a car engine for you, but it would have to be a pretty big run.

Aside from that, the previous suggestion to go through a fleet sales for engines is probably the only other way to go.

Last edited:
Ok - lets start with 1 for now - what is the cheapest engine I can buy new for one use, and where can I buy it from? Everything I see is used or remanufactured.

Well, ok now the requirements have changed. First post was for bulk engine purchase. Now - you just want one cheap, new engine.

You're focked. Of course, you can walk into any stealership and order a brand new engine for whatever car you want, but it will not be cheap. Or - you can go into the stealership and ask for bulk sales, and see if they will sell you one demo engine at discount based on a future order of 250 units(not likely).

The people who sell new engines are in the engine business, and like everywhere else, money talks. Place an order for 1000 engines, and you'll get a cup of coffee and maybe even a steak dinner. Place an order for one, small, 4 cyl Japanese engine and you're lucky to get a smile.

I think giving the requirements of what the engine needs to do would be a great help in finding the right engine for the job. If you just want a cheap new engine, Briggs and Stratten make a killer 8hp that's CHEAP:yes:
Very few OEM's sell NEW engines, almost everything we sell from Ford is a reman. The exceptions are the higher performance "crate" motors, cheap isn't a good adjective to describe a crate motor.:mad2: Ford has several in the 5.0 liter class through Ford Racing and I looked at putting one in my old Bronco................I am spending that money on avionics instead. :D

That looks like a good place to check out.
I am really curious about what your project is, but it sounds like you are developing something and wisely are not putting out details. But when you get to that point, let us know. And good luck on whatever it is.

I'd prolly let these guys handle it. Looks like they buy jobber, and resell.

http://www.gotengines.com/suzuki/suzuki-engines.html

That looks like a good place to check out.
I am really curious about what your project is, but it sounds like you are developing something and wisely are not putting out details. But when you get to that point, let us know. And good luck on whatever it is.

Agreed, I can understand not releasing any details of your project, but I'm pretty curious too, like to hear about it when it's possible to put some more info out. Good luck with whatever it is, though.

Speedway Motors, they sell hot rod engines, and they also sell Chrysler 2.4l 4 cylinder engines. Complete.

Looking for a 3 cylinder or 4 cylinder. Smaller is better, but it needs to be a car engine.

If it was me, I'd look at Uncle Sugar (Mil surplus). There are LOTS of engines made to run gen sets, cars, trucks, you name it. Contracts get canceled, over-runs, etc. There's one particular engine I like a lot, the 4A032. It's a little four cylinder, air cooled. A lot of them are on airboats, go carts, etc. Probably too small for a car engine, but I bet there's larger versions. I'd look at what I wanted to have the engine do, and then look at the mil surplus market.
want
What's cool about this particular engine is that you can buy one on the market for about $700. If it works, you can buy as many as you want, probably way cheaper.

Last edited:
Needs to be brand new? What about getting one from a very new wreck with rear end damage only? Sure, the drive train may have taken a hit, but not always. I've seen brand new cars that still have dealer temps (less than 2 weeks old) being hauled off as totals with the front end looking fine.

Identify your essential needs- size, power, water or air cooled, do you need a tranny with it, what kind? Diesel, gas, LNG, what?

With that in- hand, identify which manufacturers have the package likely to work for you.

Then call them.

Y'all are overthinking it...there's really only the following requirements:

1. It must be brand new. It absolutely cannot be used.
2. It must power a car. The size of the car? Doesn't matter, if you can show me a 10cc motor that will actually power a car of any size on a public street, it qualifies. The specs of the car matter not. I suppose I should qualify that the car will carry a human being, so RC engines are out.

To answer the specific questions in this thread so far:

Q: What does it need to do?
A: Provide power and burn gasoline

Q: How big of a car?
A: As big as it will move.

Q: Does it need to be brand new, how about xxx used engine?
A: No, it needs to be brand new.

Q: What about a crate engine?

Q: Have you tried a junk yard?

Y'all are overthinking it...there's really only the following requirements:

1. It must be brand new. It absolutely cannot be used.
2. It must power a car. The size of the car? Doesn't matter, if you can show me a 10cc motor that will actually power a car of any size on a public street, it qualifies. The specs of the car matter not. I suppose I should qualify that the car will carry a human being, so RC engines are out.

To answer the specific questions in this thread so far:

Q: What does it need to do?
A: Provide power and burn gasoline

Q: How big of a car?
A: As big as it will move.

Q: Does it need to be brand new, how about xxx used engine?

Q: Have you tried a junk yard?

Then check out Rotax or Kohler. Both make brand new engines that will power small one or two person cars.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a crate motor still a brand new aftermarket engine? Not to push for details, but I don't think we've got enough info about the intended use of the engine to make solid recommendations.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a crate motor still a brand new aftermarket engine? Not to push for details, but I don't think we've got enough info about the intended use of the engine to make solid recommendations.

My understanding is that its a rebuilt engine, but I could be wrong (wouldn't be the first time).

The intended use of the engine is to power a car of a size to be determined by the engine.

Typically, no, in automotive circles.

Fair enough, guess I got the wrong idea about what they were somewhere along the line.

Unless its a government contract MILSPEC engine, or an industrial engine, you won't find a replacement car or truck engine that isn't rebuilt sold individually or in small lots.

Unless its a government contract MILSPEC engine, or an industrial engine, you won't find a replacement car or truck engine that isn't rebuilt sold individually or in small lots.

The link I provided will sell anyone with cash a brand new, never run engine. All new parts from the auto mfg.

Need transmission/drivetrain?

Engine need to be road-legal (ie, EPA /smog), or no matter?

Need transmission/drivetrain?

Engine need to be road-legal (ie, EPA /smog), or no matter?

Ooh! Fantastic ones:

1. Yes - it needs to be road-legal, so EPA/Smog, but not to California standards.
2. It will need a transmission, although the drivetrain does not matter, as it will be married to the transmission.

Jeez, you're killing me. Now you want a trans too? First you said engine, now it's engine and trans.

Sigh,,,, I'll work on it tomorrow.

Sounds like you need a turn key deal. Are you looking for induction? If so you will need a computer that is ob2 legal right? It will need cats and 02 sensors to be road legal too. This is not going to be as easy as just picking up a long block. Now lets talk transmissions, I think all new trans are computer controlled, lock up converters, you will need the ECM to link to the output speed sensors amount a few others. Again, wiring harness etc.

Last edited:
1) My Chevy crate engine was brand spankin' new.

2) An EPA compliant product is a system, computer controlled, with drivetrain, accessories, exhaust, cat, and capable of passing a specific road simulation test at certain emission levels, including warmup time.

None of which you are likely to get by ordering parts unless you buy a car.

With your cryptic list of requirements, this is going to be difficult to meet.

One thought on the EPA, however...

To meet pre EPA specs, you just need an old VIN number.

Think of a street legal sand rail welded from new tubing, a new VW engine from a catalog, and a piece of 60's VW pan with the VIN welded in.

But not knowing what you are doing, it is a somewhat futile exercise to craft up something legal. There are also a lot of other requirements to build a street legal vehicle, if you want it to be "new."

I think we are trying to answer a riddle without all the clues!:dunno:
Nick, you can't expect answers to questions that are incomplete.:mad2: So far it has to be a new engine, but no specific HP or torque, now it has to be emissions legal and you either have OR need a transmission??? I wonder why no one has come up with a satisfactory answer?:dunno:
Good luck.

Back