2013, So who is going ?

eMKay

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
eMKay
I have reserved N15310 for the entire week, hoping for 2 or 3 good days. Buffalo down around the lakes, about 5 hours. Any good places to stop on the way?

I've been flying for 12 years and have never been yet. I'm hoping this is my year. I'm based in central IL and would like to go with someone the first time. I've got a Cherokee Six, so I can pack quite a bit of equipment if anyone wants to provide adult supervision for me. :goofy:

If the stars align, I will be flying a M20J to Oshkosh to arrive the Saturday before the show. I will think about leaving by Friday, Sat, or Sun. depending on the weather outlook but the goal will be to stay as long as possible.

If the stars do not align, I will be driving like I did last year because the plane broke. :(

What's a good place to stop and recharge before the final push to Ripon coming from the south? KRAC has good reviews, still browsing the chart for other options, would prefer self serve fuel and a restaurant.

Need a wheelchair at Airventure sucks... I'll go back eventually but not for a while.

I'll be there, not sure which days...depends on Wx

I've been flying for 12 years and have never been yet. I'm hoping this is my year. I'm based in central IL and would like to go with someone the first time. I've got a Cherokee Six, so I can pack quite a bit of equipment if anyone wants to provide adult supervision for me. :goofy:

Pretty sure it is a sin to live in Ill and not attend OSH. You'll need to redeem your self and go. :lol:

I go from Friday before the show til Monday after it closes. Been going off and on since the 60's when Oshkosh was in Rockford, IL. ;) Last year I missed it for the first time in 15 years due to a major construction project. :mad:

Actually, OSH is an easy day trip in the RV-10. No excuses. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I hope it'll be better than last year... It was like a ghost town on Sunday.

Pretty sure it is a sin to live in Ill and not attend OSH. You'll need to redeem your self and go. :lol:

With ~1350 hrs and CFI cert I don't know why, but I'm just afraid I'll do something boneheaded, despite how straightforward the arrival procedure is.

Maybe even more so, of creating a problem trying to find a parking/camping spot.

I believe I order ticket(s) online. Once I'm parked, I go somewhere to get a wristband or something? How do tickets or whatever indicate how long I can be there (I buy 3 days worth, how is that enforced?)

If anyone will be coming near KSPI on the way in, I'd be interested in sharing a ride or providing the ride. I'm hoping to have 3 or 4 days to play with.

I hope it'll be better than last year... It was like a ghost town on Sunday.

It was pretty lively during the week. I'll almost certainly go again. It has become my annual holiday, first one I ever had.

Truth, before I went to my first Oshkosh, I hadn't taken a vacation in 5 years.

With ~1350 hrs and CFI cert I don't know why, but I'm just afraid I'll do something boneheaded, despite how straightforward the arrival procedure is.

Maybe even more so, of creating a problem trying to find a parking/camping spot.

I believe I order ticket(s) online. Once I'm parked, I go somewhere to get a wristband or something? How do tickets or whatever indicate how long I can be there (I buy 3 days worth, how is that enforced?)

If anyone will be coming near KSPI on the way in, I'd be interested in sharing a ride or providing the ride. I'm hoping to have 3 or 4 days to play with.

I'm pretty sure the easiest thing to do is coordinate with your local EAA chapter, they should hook you up with tickets and a place to camp.

Why be afraid of doing something boneheaded? I have 100 hours and have no fear of it. Follow instructions, watch for traffic, fly 90kts, keep 1/2 mile spacing. Things get too crazy? Break out and do it again.

I'm pretty sure the easiest thing to do is coordinate with your local EAA chapter, they should hook you up with tickets and a place to camp.

Why be afraid of doing something boneheaded? I have 100 hours and have no fear of it. Follow instructions, watch for traffic, fly 90kts, keep 1/2 mile spacing. Things get too crazy? Break out and do it again.

Going alone or bringing the wife and baby which I guess won't be so much of a baby by then?

I'm off work the whole week. Will be flying in, and the wife will meet me there with the car.

Once you park an EAA rep will give you all the info you need and will welcome you to Airventure. They will require you purchase tickets for the entire week (if you arrive mid-week then you purchase from that day to the end of the show). If you leave before the end they'll give you a refund.

Going alone or bringing the wife and baby which I guess won't be so much of a baby by then?

I'm going alone this time, I gave my wife a baby free weekend in Ottawa with her school friends, she's giving me some time alone with airplanes :) That skinny little 2 month old is now a giant, strong 27lb 1 year old :)

Hey Crash, what I do is take the bird to FLD, take the $15.00 round trip buses back and forth to the Airventure gate.

That way, if you decide to leave in the middle of the airshow, it's simple, and you're not "locked in".

Why spoil the fun with adults! Stick with pilots! :lol:

I can't remember how many hours I had the first time I went but it was a non-issue. Done it many times since. Last year I took a student on his third training flight...a bit early for a x-c but he learned a lot! And bought an RV-9 four months later! I'm sure he will fly it to OSH this year on his own.

I loved flying in, based principally upon having the World's Best Co-Captain in the right seat. Thanks, Jesse!

Plan, I hope, is to come and bring Tommy, last hurrah before college. We'll see...

Flying with my 7yo in my club's Arrow on Thursday and heading back to MIC on Sunday. Probably hanging my hat with friends n Scholler, but who knows?

My plan is to FlyBaby it out there. We shall see.

Does your OCD usually kick in during the show?:D

Flying all the way to Wisconsin and then landing at one of those outlying airports is like taking sand to the beach.
Hey Crash, what I do is take the bird to FLD, take the $15.00 round trip buses back and forth to the Airventure gate.

That way, if you decide to leave in the middle of the airshow, it's simple, and you're not "locked in".

Last edited:
Does your OCD usually kick in during the show?:D

Flying all the way to Wisconsin and then landing at one of those outlying airports is like taking sand to the beach.
I only have seven inches of propellor clearance. So when I dump it off of the pavement onto the grass, it could be a very expensive turnoff the pavement. One hole could ruin my year.

Got a spare $50K? Heck, you pay, I'll drive.....

I only have seven inches of propellor clearance. So when I dump it off of the pavement onto the grass, it could be a very expensive turnoff the pavement. One hole could ruin my year.

Geez, Doc, you're describing Wayne's manicure budget. :D

Glad the Bo was designed with grass in mind...

Get one like mine. No tip clearance problems and you don't need to worry about single engine go-arounds.;)

I'll go. Not sure on details yet - I may be switching jobs and losing vacation time as a result. But even if it's just for the weekend, I'm going.

Looks like I will be going. My instructor put me in touch with someone organizing a group. Most likely not piloting at all, but being in a plane to get there is good enough for me. This will be my first!

Looks like I will be going. My instructor put me in touch with someone organizing a group. Most likely not piloting at all, but being in a plane to get there is good enough for me. This will be my first!

You'll really enjoy it no matter which seat you arrive in!

I just decided I can't miss OSH 2 years in a row. I'm even going to take a day of vacation time if I can get away with it, so I'm not flying the Ripon/Fisk approach procedure on no sleep. I think that is a good decision to start things off. That was an easy one compared to the much more important ones like which beer to bring Jay at HOPS Wednesday night. Planning on staying until the show closes down on Sunday. :D

This will be my first. Been to SNF a few times and finally got the OK to go to OSH. Arriving Sunday and returning Thursday (as of now). I am really looking forward to this.
BILL

Last edited:
I plan to fly in and camp under the wing. :yes: Mechanical problems kept me from flying in last year, and driving in and staying in a hotel just wasn't the same. :no: Tom...well...he will hitch a ride with a local pilot and stay in a hotel. He no longer enjoys sleeping on the ground and crawling in and out of a tent.

I will be going this year, all the way from Texas. Won't get to fly since I don't have my license yet.

No further tests will be required to determine the relative intelligence of the parties.

I plan to fly in and camp under the wing. :yes: Mechanical problems kept me from flying in last year, and driving in and staying in a hotel just wasn't the same. :no: Tom...well...he will hitch a ride with a local pilot and stay in a hotel. He no longer enjoys sleeping on the ground and crawling in and out of a tent.

My dad and I are planning our first trip to OSHKOSH this year. We'll be flying up from Phoenix in my Piper Dakota, arriving on Sunday if the WX cooperates. We're planning on camping in the n40, but we'll be leaving on Thursday. Any concern with getting out of the north 40 early? Other than meticulously studying the notam, any other words of wisdom from experienced AirVenturers? Thanks!

I will be flying the 172 in on Friday or the Sat before the show starts and planning on being there all week, camping under the wing in the N40.

Wife and I fly in Saturday, out Fri or Sat (xw dependent). Staying at the Microtel in Fond Du Lac.

We'll be plane shopping. My bride is interested in something faster, need to get some seat tests in an RV6/7 and Bo.

Back