Zenith Cruzer

Now that is pretty cool! I wonder if they will offer an 801 variant?

Bravo, I've always thought that plane was lost on many people because it dragged around way more lift than they need.

Hmmm...I see some very specific language in this:
As equipped, the aircraft weighs 780 lbs., providing a useful load of 540 lbs. at the 1,320 lbs. LSA gross weight limit.

Anyone know what the real gross weight limit is?

Hmmm...I see some very specific language in this:

Anyone know what the real gross weight limit is?

1440 lbs. See here, in the row labeled "New: Design Gross Weight Increase (Edition 2)":
http://www.zenithair.com/stolch750/data/750-cruzer-flyer-4-2013-2p.pdf

So useful load of non-LSA Cruzer, with a "typical" empty weight of 780 lbs at 1440 lbs gross, is 660 lbs. Full fuel (24 gals) payload is 516 lbs. Note that the "edition 2" CH-750 also has a design gross of 1440 lbs, so if one still needs STOL and payload but not LSA, it is an option to consider.

Can you up grade a 750 with the new wing? What is the speed improvement from the 750? I think this will be a big hit.

Hmmm...I see some very specific language in this: Anyone know what the real gross weight limit is?
As equipped, the aircraft weighs 780 lbs., providing a useful load of 540 lbs. at the 1,320 lbs. LSA gross weight limit.
It's experimental, so it could vary if you aren't worried about staying ELSA
No no, the question is, how heavy could it fly, should one not care too much about the FAA's rules?

No no, he answered the question completely correctly. It is an experimental. The builder is the manufacturer and sets the gross weight where he/she decides to set the gross weight. The manufacturer of the kit/plans may provide a suggested gross weight (which, in this case, they have), but "its an experimental" answers the question perfectly.

Your quote is clear, the gross weight for LSA is 1,320 lbs. If you want to register it as an experimental, you set the weight where you want it. If you are asking for the suggested gross weight for non-LSA version, it seems Logajan has pretty solid answer.
1440 lbs. See here, in the row labeled "New: Design Gross Weight Increase (Edition 2)":
http://www.zenithair.com/stolch750/data/750-cruzer-flyer-4-2013-2p.pdf
So useful load of non-LSA Cruzer, with a "typical" empty weight of 780 lbs at 1440 lbs gross, is 660 lbs. Full fuel (24 gals) payload is 516 lbs. Note that the "edition 2" CH-750 also has a design gross of 1440 lbs, so if one still needs STOL and payload but not LSA, it is an option to consider.
I’m really not trying to be a wise-guy with the answer, but many people don’t really understand the experimental world and I thought this would be a good place to comment.

Notice that the climb rate is 1,200 fpm in the specifications. Normally, a climb rate of 670 fpm is considered completely acceptable. That gives room to increase the max gross weight. The specifications also show a design load of +6/-3 gs, which is the stressing level for acrobatic planes. That gives a lot of room to increase the max gross weight, too.

I wrote that like I actually know what I'm talking about, but I don't. The statements in the above paragraph are actually questions.

Last edited:
Back