iPhone question

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
Why does my phone show the carrier name and signal bars when cellular is OFF? I took this picture in flight. Can't figure out how to get it to TRULY disconnect.

y6a8uqaj.jpg

Because you turned cellular data off, not the voice network. Airplane mode will shut it down completely.

I wish there was a way to turn off all cellular, but leave Wifi on for various devices (GPS, ADSB/ZAON, etc)

I wish there was a way to turn off all cellular, but leave Wifi on for various devices (GPS, ADSB/ZAON, etc)

That works. Throw it into airplane mode and then switch just Wifi on. I do it all the time on my Southwest flights, at least on my 4G iPad Mini.

In your settings menu go to the General tab
8641885472_33c4b318ff_n_d.jpg

Then the Cellular tab
8641885448_6b476a675d_n_d.jpg

From here you have the option of turning off the Cellular data

8641885412_7ff9b43a18_n_d.jpg

Once off all data is restricted to wifi only
8640782901_51a841abd3_n_d.jpg

Actually, no. The cellular DATA side is off, the cellular VOICE side is still on.
You have to put the phone in airplane mode to shut it ALL off, then manually turn wifi on.
In your settings menu go to the General tab
8641885472_33c4b318ff_n_d.jpg

Then the Cellular tab
8641885448_6b476a675d_n_d.jpg

From here you have the option of turning off the Cellular data

8641885412_7ff9b43a18_n_d.jpg

Once off all data is restricted to wifi only
8640782901_51a841abd3_n_d.jpg

Actually, no. The cellular DATA side is off, the cellular VOICE side is still on.
You have to put the phone in airplane mode to shut it ALL off, then manually turn wifi on.
You are absolutely correct, I misunderstood the question. :dunno:
I thought he was trying to keep the phone active while forcing all info to channel through wifi to avoid using cellular data.

That works. Throw it into airplane mode and then switch just Wifi on. I do it all the time on my Southwest flights, at least on my 4G iPad Mini.

I do the same thing (on my Iphone.)

If I wasn't too cheap to pay for inflight WiFi, that's what I would do. :D

I just load a movie if there isn't any in seat system.

Cheers

If I wasn't too cheap to pay for inflight WiFi, that's what I would do. :D

I just load a movie if there isn't any in seat system.

Cheers

It is worth the $8 on longer flights (West / East Coast) and I write it off, anyway.

Back