Ferry flight to Estonia!

ntbjounin

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jounin
Well, I got back a week ago from a glorious ferry flight to Estonia! Followed by 2 weeks in Europe. The plane was a Lear 25b- XR. I had a great time! I thought I'd share some photos. It may not be as exciting as a Bonanza across the pond, but I prefer it this way! :)
The route was KPWA KAGC KPWM CYYR BGBW BIKF EGPC EETU and it took about 17 hours flight time.
There were some of the usual issues, but nothing horrible. I had a great time!
I look forward to the next one!
Here's a link to the photo album.... Not all flying photos! Gotta enjoy the travelling a bit too right? :yes:

Extremely jealous. Looks like a great trip!

I was looking at your FlightAware tracks, and it looked like you were staying below RVSM altitudes. I'm guessing this one wasn't so equipped? Did it not make sense to try to shoot up above RVSM to FL410+ to save some fuel? Just curious, as you know I lack any jet experience.

Excellent....and nice gumby suit! Is it hard to fly a Lear in one of those?? They gotta get awfully warm!

sometimes it's like pulling teeth trying to get controllers to allow you through RVSM airspace... Even harder internationally. If we could have gotten 430, we would have looked at going Canada - Iceland nonstop, but not at 270. And they didnt let us.... so oh well. Surprisingly it was Europe that allowed us up to 290! why? i dunno, but hey, I'll take it! they knew we were negative rvsm.

sometimes it's like pulling teeth trying to get controllers to allow you through RVSM airspace... Even harder internationally. If we could have gotten 430, we would have looked at going Canada - Iceland nonstop, but not at 270. And they didnt let us.... so oh well. Surprisingly it was Europe that allowed us up to 290! why? i dunno, but hey, I'll take it! they knew we were negative rvsm.

Darn. So you had to log some extra time in the Lear. That must suck! :wink2:

Good pics.

Darn. So you had to log some extra time in the Lear. That must suck! :wink2:

Good pics.

Well, the bigger concern I would have would just be the ridiculous fuel burn more than the speed and resultant lower range. When fuel = options and options are few...

Makes sense, that's what I was wondering. Considering at least part of your route was through some congested airspace, I could see those being areas where they'd rather just make you sit low and burn fuel.

Great trip. I have been to Estonia on projects 4 times, and love it there. We have been to Tartu as well. at one time it was the largest Soviet Air Force base outside of Russia. It's a huge university town and has ... well lots of beautiful women.
We ate at the Oscar Wilde Cafe, and they have a great steak that has a Jack Daniels glaze cooked into it.
All in all a great country, and in the summer, a huge destination spot for cruise ships calling at Tallinn.
I hope to go back someday.

Great trip. I have been to Estonia on projects 4 times, and love it there. We have been to Tartu as well. at one time it was the largest Soviet Air Force base outside of Russia. It's a huge university town and has ... well lots of beautiful women.
We ate at the Oscar Wilde Cafe, and they have a great steak that has a Jack Daniels glaze cooked into it.
All in all a great country, and in the summer, a huge destination spot for cruise ships calling at Tallinn.
I hope to go back someday.
I cant agree more! I already have plans to return! I loved it!

Enjoyed the pics. Did you guys do the pilot flying, pilot sleeping in the back thing?

Enjoyed the pics. Did you guys do the pilot flying, pilot sleeping in the back thing?

Haha no, the only reason he left his seat at all was to pee or get something useful from the back. Each leg was only a max of 3 hrs anyway.. Its a 25!

I hope they didn't rip you off at BGBW, specially on weekends. I was surprised the Lear could not make CYYR-BIKF nonstop. I have ferried 5 Mooneys CYYR-BIRK non-stop. They all had long range tanks in the wings (over 100 gals, 1,700nm range).

José

Attachments

• Route Map.JPG
    Route Map.JPG
    595.3 KB · Views: 15
The plane wasn't RVSM equipped and they couldn't get above FL280 :yikes::yikes: Holy fuel burn Batman!:hairraise:
I hope they didn't rip you off at BGBW, specially on weekends. I was surprised the Lear could not make CYYR-BIKF nonstop. I have ferried 5 Mooneys CYYR-BIRK non-stop. They all had long range tanks in the wings (over 100 gals, 1,700nm range).

José

Neither the Mooney

Lear 25s use straight turbojet engines - GE CJ610s. While they are very good engines, they are notorious for their high fuel burn under all flight conditions. Then if you're stuck with FL270 instead of 410-430 your fuel burn will be higher and your speed will be slower, making them even less efficient.

I'm not surprised at all.

Back