Ct to Hilton head or st. Simmons or?

CT Arrow

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Adios!
I have convinced the first officer to take a long weekend, Thursday through Monday sometime in May. We are considering Hilton head or St. Simmons Island. The only requirement is on or close to a beach. Any thoughts with either location or someplace completely different?

We would grab a rental car while there so we can get around and check out things.

Thanks in advance!

I lived on St. Simons for six years and now live in Charleston, SC. I have also spent a lot of time on Hilton Head. My hands down recommendation is for St. Simons Island. If you go to St. Simons, be sure to visit Jekyl Island as well, at least for a quick day trip.....nice beaches which are seldom crowded! Beaches on St. Simons are nice as well, just not as expansive.

Charleston is also a great trip with some world class restaurants and beautiful and historic scenery. Beaches are easily accessible as well....

Feel free to pm with any specific questions.

I second the motion to go to St. Simons.

I hands down recommend St. Simons. I flew there 2 days in a row recently. Hilton Head isn't really my style. If your goal is to play golf on as many courses as possible and blow copious amounts of money, Hilton Head can accommodate that better.

As far as flying in,the FBO at KSSI is great, reasonable fuel prices a fleet of courtesy cars. You'll pay to play at Hilton Head, last I heard they have a shiny new landing fee to go with the $8.00/gal gas and ramp fees.

Not that it was a suggestion, but DON'T Do Myrtle Beach... it's the most touristy, built up crappo area. Unless you like putt-putt. Beaufort is a very nice, but as others have said, be prepared to spend $$$ if going to HH. Honestly, though, the towns of Beaufort and/or Savannah are amazing, quaint historical southern-charm areas without anything close to the touristyness and built-upness of a Charleston. Plus, Beaufort has some nice beaches out towards the islands (a 20min drive if you're not staying there). My family used to own a house on Fripp Island in Beaufort, and if I were you, I'd consider renting a house or (more cheaply) a condo for the weekend near the beach as opposed to a hotel, since it's roomier and often very close in price. Plus, you can cook your own meals.

Can't speak for St. Simons, but it looks similar.

Concur on SSI. We had our 2003 AYA (Grumman type club) convention there in 2003, and liked so much we went back in 2011. Do try the 'cue at Southern Soul, right across from the airport -- Guy Fieri liked it, too. For more formal dining, try Blackwater Grill, and for something in between try Gnat's Landing.

I also second what everyone says about KSSI. A couple of summers ago I worked in St. Marys for six weeks but stayed at St. Simons and flew to St. Marys and back each day. (20 minute flight over very nice scenery). I also recommend you spend a night or two at the Jekyll Island Club Hotel and tour the historic district there. When you fly into 09J at Jekyll, they have these neat 'Red Bug' electric cars at the airport they rent for getting around the island. They are a lot of fun. Just be aware that they do not have fuel at Jekyll so you will need to get your fuel at KSSI. Feel free to PM me if desired. I know the area well and have made many flights in and out of all the airports down in that area. For accomodiations at St. Simons, my wife and I enjoy staying at the Village Inn. It is in walking distance of the Village area, lighthouse and the pier. If you are looking more for a resort type place then try the King and Prince. They also have a Hampton Inn that is by the airport. It is clean and nice but not as fun as the other two places, but it is next to the Outback Steak House. If you like crab cakes, Barbra Jeans in the village is a good place to eat at St. Simons. I love both St. Simons and Jekyll but St. Simons has the better dinning options.

I enjoy both Hilton Head and St. Simons. They are very different in atmosphere. St. Simons has more of a small town feel than HH. Jekyll island is also nice, very quiet.

Wow! Exactly the info I was looking for. Looks like St. Simmons it is! Thanks again for the links and detailed info.

:idea: you guys need a valet/plane sitter/back seat driver right??

I've only been to SSI of the places you listed and thought it was beautiful.

:idea: you guys need a valet/plane sitter/back seat driver right??

I've only been to SSI of the places you listed and thought it was beautiful.

I think they'll probably need some ballast in the back seat, considering how nose heavy those <whatever kind of plane he flies> are.

My wife enjoyed both St. Simmons and Jekyll Island. Jekyll is more open and less developed while St. Simmons had far more things to do. FWIW, I found that the electric car rental company in SSI would pick you up at the airport, if that's something you were interested in. The red bug cars in Jekyll were a blast.

It will be very warm and humid CHS south that time of year but the water will only be in the high 60's in the Atlantic . . . so don't think too much about swimming. . . at least in the Ocean.

You might want to consider SAV or even Beaufort [ARW] lots of history, lots of fun things to do - for a long weekend. . . SSI is real nice - but it is 2 stops in an Arrow - you are likely to be able to make ARW/SAV/CHS with just one at one of the usual VA stopping points around Norfolk . . . .

I used to do the 700nm from IJD-ARW 7/8 times a year in the Comanche - was nonstop at 155ktas - but friends in Arrows and when I owned the Bellanca we needed a stop SW bound usually. And pushing it the 100nm SW of SAV makes it two stops with normal headwinds in an Arrow - plus it will take all day. You might keep in mind that if you are a 6am departure out of CT you'll get into SSI around 6p with two fuel / food stops.

Beaufort is a GREAT little southern town - I liked it so much we bought a house.

Last edited:
It will be very warm and humid CHS south that time of year but the water will only be in the high 60's in the Atlantic . . . so don't think too much about swimming. . . at least in the Ocean.

You might want to consider SAV or even Beaufort [ARW] lots of history, lots of fun things to do - for a long weekend. . . SSI is real nice - but it is 2 stops in an Arrow - you are likely to be able to make ARW/SAV/CHS with just one at one of the usual VA stopping points around Norfolk . . . .

I used to do the 700nm from IJD-ARW 7/8 times a year in the Comanche - was nonstop at 155ktas - but friends in Arrows and when I owned the Bellanca we needed a stop SW bound usually. And pushing it the 100nm SW of SAV makes it two stops with normal headwinds in an Arrow - plus it will take all day. You might keep in mind that if you are a 6am departure out of CT you'll get into SSI around 6p with two fuel / food stops.

Beaufort is a GREAT little southern town - I liked it so much we bought a house.

Thanks for the info! I typically stop at Dare County or Currituck which is 3 hours from CT and fill up, stretch our legs and head back out. So it's really a single stop. I have 72 gallons on board which gives me 5 hours of endurance w/ IFR reserves. SSI and a side trip to Jekyll island is the game plan as of now.

Thanks for the info! I typically stop at Dare County or Currituck which is 3 hours from CT and fill up, stretch our legs and head back out. So it's really a single stop. I have 72 gallons on board which gives me 5 hours of endurance w/ IFR reserves. SSI and a side trip to Jekyll island is the game plan as of now.

Sounds like a great trip!!

Back