I'm going to meet a Tuskegee Airman!

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
Coming to the Smithsonian, Mr. Curtis Robinson, will be there for a book signing of A Pilot's Journey.

I can't wait!

They're some great guys. Had dinner with a group of them a while back. Lots to learn from them.

And they're leaving us, it seems, a few every year. We should take every opportunity to sit these and other heroes in front of a camera and just let them tell their stories like no one else can.

Damn. After reading further, I found out that Mr. Robinson passed away. The book signing is by an author who wrote about him.

we had one visit our campsite at Osh a couple of years ago. Truly tremendous men to do what they did, fighting two wars at the same time.

The Smithsonian does the African-American Pioneers family day every year. My wife reserves the duty of being taking care of the Tuskegee Airmen who show up for the event. Always interesting to talk to these guys and they're getting fewer each year.

My daughter met a group of Tuskegee Airmen when she was a student at Pitt!

She graduated in '09.
They visited the school, I think in '06 or '07.

Edit: she just confirmed that Lee Archer was among them! RIP

Last edited:
My daughter met a group of Tuskegee Airmen when she was a student at Pitt!

She graduated in '09.
They visited the school, I think in '06 or '07.

Edit: she just confirmed that Lee Archer was among them! RIP

Don't think those numbers quite add up to you being one of them!

You doubt that I'm Redtail?
Just look at my screen name ;)

Ben, the Smithsonian is on my 'places to visit' list. Enjoy!

Thanks, I will! I've been many times, but I'm looking forward to meeting this author.

The Smithsonian does the African-American Pioneers family day every year. My wife reserves the duty of being taking care of the Tuskegee Airmen who show up for the event. Always interesting to talk to these guys and they're getting fewer each year.

Do you know when they do the White -American Pioneers family day every year?. :dunno::rolleyes2:

Thanks, I will! I've been many times, but I'm looking forward to meeting this author.

We're thinking of going either this year or next. Can you explore everything in a day or should we plan on spending the night and making it a two day trip?

Of course I'll want to see all of the aviation stuff:D

Between meeting a number of the Tuskegee Airmen and Doolittle Raiders at The National Museum of the USAF at various functions as well as flying in the Collins Foundation B-17 with some Crewmen from the ETO, I learned more important WWII History than I ever did in school.

A privilege to meet each one. :yes:

Cheers

We're thinking of going either this year or next. Can you explore everything in a day or should we plan on spending the night and making it a two day trip?

Of course I'll want to see all of the aviation stuff:D

You can explore everything in a day, but you won't remember much. Remember, you've got Air and Space, Natural History, the Gallery of Art, etc.

Two days would be better!

we had a group come through work last year, 3 if I remember correctly, I was truly impressed by how sharp they were at being 90+ years old.

I am a proud owner of Cpt. Norfleet's book, about Mr. Robinson's heroism in his dedication to his country. What an honor!

I am a proud owner of Cpt. Norfleet's book, about Mr. Robinson's heroism in his dedication to his country. What an honor!

‘‘My favorite plane was the P-40 Warhawk,” said Robinson. ‘‘It was more maneuverable and faster than the other planes I flew. Flying was very enjoyable and even recreational when I wasn't being shot at. It provided me with a total sense of freedom, because when you fly you're not restricted like you are in a car. There are no space, terrain, and congestion restraints that encumber your movements. In the air, I could do whatever I wanted to, once I had attained good flying skills.”

I love this quote:yikes::rofl:.

‘‘My favorite plane was the P-40 Warhawk,” said Robinson. ‘‘It was more maneuverable and faster than the other planes I flew. Flying was very enjoyable and even recreational when I wasn't being shot at. It provided me with a total sense of freedom, because when you fly you're not restricted like you are in a car. There are no space, terrain, and congestion restraints that encumber your movements. In the air, I could do whatever I wanted to, once I had attained good flying skills.”

I love this quote:yikes::rofl:.

It is a great quote, much the same I use with teaching students to ride a motorcycle.
Hey red tail, do you do any of the fly-in's.
I have been so fascinated with the Red Tails story, not so much from the flying aspect as impressive as that is/was. But more of the humananity side of it. I would enjoy sitting with you listening and getting some of my questions ansewered.

Lynn. :yesnod:

It is a great quote, much the same I use with teaching students to ride a motorcycle.
Hey red tail, do you do any of the fly-in's.
I have been so fascinated with the Red Tails story, not so much from the flying aspect as impressive as that is/was. But more of the humananity side of it. I would enjoy sitting with you listening and getting some of my questions ansewered.

Lynn. :yesnod:

Redtail is just my screen name. I chose it in honor of THE Redtails. I'm only 47 and don't have any great war stories to tell:rofl:.

Sorry for the confusion.

Redtail is just my screen name. I chose it in honor of THE Redtails. I'm only 47 and don't have any great war stories to tell:rofl:.

Sorry for the confusion.

I'm sure I would still enjoy chatting. Just wouldn't ask any Tuskegee questions. Hahaha

Back