Airventure 2013 - Who's going?

PilotAlan

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
PilotAlan
We got our rental car last night, and a room at the Microtel in FDL. Sat-Fri.

The countdown begins!

We got our rental car last night, and a room at the Microtel in FDL. Sat-Fri.

The countdown begins!
I'm confused. Are you going to oshkosh, or are you going to stay in some town in a hotel ?

Every year, all week plus 3-4 days prior. This is the big show for experimentals.

Experimental
Aircraft
Association

But all aircraft are welcome. ;)

I am taking the wife, we can only go for one day maybe two. This will be my second time and my wifes first.
I want her to see some of the airshows, what days should I take her?

We'll be camping in Scholler all week as per the usual. The best airshows are on Saturday, with both a day and a night airshow.

I'm confused. Are you going to oshkosh, or are you going to stay in some town in a hotel ?

Funny.
I have camped with the plane. But when the spousal unit comes (this is her fourth Oshkosh), camping means a hotel that lacks room service.

We'll fly in, transfer the bags to the rental car, then park the bird in VAP.
I am working on getting her to accept a rental RV at Sleepy Hollow Farn. Maybe in a year or two.

Going. Already reserved the rental house.

I see that as a must do......once. After that it is just a huge assembly of lines and dust, (or rain and mud) accompanied by swarms of bugs. Maybe it's just my aversion to crowds of any sort. But if you've never been, you should punch that ticket.

I'll be there.
Hopefully camping under the wing.

Every year, all week plus 3-4 days prior. This is the big show for experimentals.

Experimental
Aircraft
Association

But all aircraft are welcome. ;)

i thought it was the Enormous Airshow Association???

I am thinking about going. Went last year with my exs father and his mechanic for his King Air. I won't be having that nice of a ride up there this time.... But I am trying really hard to go back. I hope there is a bigger turn out then last year!!!

I am planning on it, and (against the advice of many) intend to camp with the plane. Likely in Vintage, since I am, too!

I will likely camp with the aircraft in the North 40. Need to be near restaurants, since there is rarely anything I can eat at the airshow.

Yep...this will be my 30th year in a row. Nice living half hour drive away.

With all the others in Camp Boxarox?

I am planning on it, and (against the advice of many) intend to camp with the plane. Likely in Vintage, since I am, too!

You really wanna know?

Put a tent in your back yard and sleep in it for a week before you leave. That will provide your first clue.

What the hell, why not?

Last edited:
This year I intend to FLY! It will be my 5th time attending Oshkosh, the second time I've flown in, and my first time as PIC. I may have an empty seat if anybody wants to tag along.

The rough plan is to depart KMIC on Friday night before the show starts, head east and preposition the plane somewhat close to Portage. Then wake up bright and early Saturday morning with a full tank of fuel and fly the FISK VFR arrival. I'll camp in the North 40 and depending on the WX forecast, I will plan on leaving by about Friday or Saturday during the day. If the weather looks good I will stay till Sunday if I can.

OSH #31 is on the schedule for us. The Wednesday Night N40 Party is a given, and the party fixings are already pre-positioned in the Oshkosh area!

As always, we'll be keeping our fingers crossed on staffing and weather.

Funny.
I have camped with the plane. But when the spousal unit comes (this is her fourth Oshkosh), camping means a hotel that lacks room service.

We'll fly in, transfer the bags to the rental car, then park the bird in VAP.
I am working on getting her to accept a rental RV at Sleepy Hollow Farn. Maybe in a year or two.

Hey, you're still flying into OSH, so you're righteous.

Pretty bizarre to fly into OSH, only to then drive to Fond du Lac. I'll bet you're the only one doing THAT. :D

You really wanna know?

Put a tent in your back yard and sleep in it for a week before you leave. That will provide your first clue.

You're doing it wrong. If you walk far enough during the day, sweat enough, drink enough beer, etc., a tent beside the airplane is a great place to collapse at night. Honestly, I get my best sleep of the year camping at airshows.

I plan to camp in the North 40, under my wing. :yes:

With all the others in Camp Boxarox?
My husband is the smart one in the family ;), so he will likely travel up there in a go-fast airplane and stay in a hotel.

I plan to camp in the North 40, under my wing. :yes:

Maybe I should contrive to arrive early and camp *right next to you*! Privacy is overrated, anyway. :D

My husband is the smart one in the family ;), so he will likely travel up there in a go-fast airplane and stay in a hotel.

"Go-fast airplane" - guess that'd be a 172, right? :D

You really wanna know?

Only if you are an utter cheapskate and purchase your camping gear at Kmart. Get good gear and you can be quite comfortable in a tent. I love camping at the Show. I love being right in the middle of things. If I had to drive in to start and leave after the airshow, it would be a completely different experience.

Those who think an attendee must leave the grounds before the social hour and other festivities is over probably shouldn't be allowed to fly airplanes without supervision. The comfortable home near the airport where I regularly rent a room is frequented by owners of warbirds, homebuilts, vintage, military, spam-cans, seaplanes and acros. But it's always interesting to get a cheapskate's view of other cheapskates.

Only if you are an utter cheapskate and purchase your camping gear at Kmart. Get good gear and you can be quite comfortable in a tent. I love camping at the Show. I love being right in the middle of things. If I had to drive in to start and leave after the airshow, it would be a completely different experience.

Those who think an attendee must leave the grounds before the social hour and other festivities is over probably shouldn't be allowed to fly airplanes without supervision. The comfortable home near the airport where I regularly rent a room is frequented by owners of warbirds, homebuilts, vintage, military, spam-cans, seaplanes and acros. But it's always interesting to get a cheapskate's view of other cheapskates.

Wayne, one suspects that you are sufficiently inculcated into the aviation community that it wouldn't matter if you stayed in an outhouse. Some of us amateurs are not so blessed.

Oshkosh is as much a frame of mind as it is a destination.

Of my 30 consecutive OSH fly-ins, we drove in (and stayed off-site) for 16 of them. During those years I only THOUGHT I was attending OSH.

Bottom line: Until you stay on the field, you haven't been to OSH. You've only visited. The complete immersion into the aviation world that comes with staying on the field simply cannot be replicated.

BTW: Battery-powered blow up air queen-sized mattresses have made camping at OSH as comfortable as any cheap motel bed. The new ones even hold air for 3 - 4 days before needing a boost.

Hey, you're still flying into OSH, so you're righteous.

Pretty bizarre to fly into OSH, only to then drive to Fond du Lac. I'll bet you're the only one doing THAT. :D

No. I've flown into OSH before, got the car, then stayed in Appleton or UWOSH at the dorms.

Pretty sure I'm going to be flying up from Texas. Hopefully with several folks and a couple Cardinals.

-Dan

I'm in.

I'll be sleeping on the ground behind the wing of my RV8 in HomeBuilt Camping (HBC). I'll probably be there early (sun-wed). If you find yourself nearby, stop in and say high if I'm around! Email works good too, if I'm out and about.

I can't wait!

Back