Kent -> OSH

jason

Administrator
Management Council Member
Display Name

Display name:
Jason W (FlyNE)
Kent,

I love the new episode of the Pilotcast (40 Supp). I've listened to it twice already while driving on the interstate. You did a great job narrating.

Keep it coming...

FlyNE said:
Kent,

I love the new episode of the Pilotcast (40 Supp). I've listened to it twice already while driving on the interstate. You did a great job narrating.

Keep it coming...
HI all
Can I download the podcast to my ipod. Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Regards Mike

Thanks Tony
I think I will download it and listen to it while at work tonight.

Regards Mike

Ok Gang
I have all of Kents Podcast downlaoded on my apple computer, I am nowing trying to get them downloaded to my 40G Ipod. I can't seem to get it to transfer from my apple to my I pod. Any help would be great. I hate it when I can't get things to work.

Thanks Mike

well i just plug my ipod into my computer and it usually automatically updates, sometimes i have to click on my ipod in itunes and select update. this is on a PC though, all the computer nerds will probably start bombarding you here shortly....

flykelley said:
Ok Gang
I have all of Kents Podcast downlaoded on my apple computer, I am nowing trying to get them downloaded to my 40G Ipod. I can't seem to get it to transfer from my apple to my I pod. Any help would be great. I hate it when I can't get things to work.

Thanks Mike
The easiest way is let iTunes manage the podcasts.

Click here: http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=77244958

You have to click a few times to subscribe, then in your Preferences in iTunes, go to Podcasts, choose when you want to check for new shows and with your iPod connected you can select "let iTunes manage my podcasts."

Then just "Update iPod."

You might want to go to the podcast listing in iTunes and right click to select "Do Not Auto Delete" or it will delete shows you've heard. With that you can right click a show and select clear to delete it. You will want to click on the [Get] icon for the old episodes you want.

We're going to work on some pages explaining this stuff.

If you have downloaed the mp3s already just drag them into your iTunes music library or right click the file on the disk and select open with, iTunes. The problem there is you won't see them on the podcast menu on the iPod. You might see them by the type of "podcast" or under "recently added."

Last edited:
Thanks Guys but I think I forgot to tell you that my ipod is downlaoded through my apple mini not a windows machine. Don't know if that maters or not.

Thanks Mike

flykelley said:
Thanks Guys but I think I forgot to tell you that my ipod is downlaoded through my apple mini not a windows machine. Don't know if that maters or not.

Thanks Mike
That matters. It makes it easier.

iTunes works the same way.

mikea said:
That matters. It makes it easier.

iTunes works the same way.
<sigh>

It doesn't make it easier, it makes it different...but only slightly.

I can take somebody liking their mac. I can even take somebody liking their mac a whole lot (I've been around that for years). I can't take somebody making sweeping generalizations about the different platforms. :D

None of them are "better". They all do what they were designed to do. You show me 10 things that you can do on a mac and I'll do those 10 things on a PC (notice I didn't say windows, I said PC). I'll do them differently, but I'll do them...and probably faster. I'm not a windows zealot. I'm not a linux zealot. I just know that each of them has their place.

Sorry, Mike...I've just spent too many years hearing the mac zealots. Macs are nice. The second generations are usually even very nice. However, I just don't understand what it is about a brand that makes people so rabid. They release something new and everybody drops to their knees and scurries out the door to buy something that invariably ends up overheating/making odd noises/breaking and they love it?!

I'm not going to get into a big sling-fest. I've spent too many hours in my life doing that. I've never seen any amount of proof or logic back a mac zealot off of their ivory tower.:no:

</sigh>

Oh, also, great work on the podcast. I love it!

FlyNE said:
<sigh>

It doesn't make it easier, it makes it different...but only slightly.

I can take somebody liking their mac. I can even take somebody liking their mac a whole lot (I've been around that for years). I can't take somebody making sweeping generalizations about the different platforms. :D

None of them are "better". They all do what they were designed to do. You show me 10 things that you can do on a mac and I'll do those 10 things on a PC (notice I didn't say windows, I said PC). I'll do them differently, but I'll do them...and probably faster. I'm not a windows zealot. I'm not a linux zealot. I just know that each of them has their place.

Sorry, Mike...I've just spent too many years hearing the mac zealots. Macs are nice. The second generations are usually even very nice. However, I just don't understand what it is about a brand that makes people so rabid. They release something new and everybody drops to their knees and scurries out the door to buy something that invariably ends up overheating/making odd noises/breaking and they love it?!

I'm not going to get into a big sling-fest. I've spent too many hours in my life doing that. I've never seen any amount of proof or logic back a mac zealot off of their ivory tower.:no:

</sigh>

Oh, also, great work on the podcast. I love it!

You brough this up entirely on THE WRONG WEEK. I lost 2-3 hours last Sunday merely because I was forced to update the version of VPN software in my Windows environment, which yeah, is on the Mac althoug that has nothing whatsoever to do with the problem, other than it made it trivial to back up my work at critical junctions to save time and save my rear. I only had to install/rebbot remove/reboot install/reboot remove/reboot 4 times before it dawned on me that the helpfully company provided McAfee anti-virus was what was making the install fail each time.

The rest of the time was dealing with the conveluted way those in charge at the company set up the procedures to get, install, and configure the programs. Almost nothing in their "no-brainer" procedures and systems worked the first time. I would hate to have been a mere mortal trying to get that stuff working. No wonder they assume that everybody is an idiot who has to call the helpdesk.

That kind of thing has not ever, happened to me on a Mac in the going on two years and 5 differents ones I've worked on. For one thing there's no add/remove programs and almost never a reboot required.

Don't get me started..... too late.

Oh, BTW, it IS easier to use devices like an iPod on a Mac. It's the difference between "BEEP! New USB device recoginized, looking for driver, new device added, Windows is configuring your device, New device added.. repeat" and watching iTunes start all by itself and begin synching your iPod.

Last edited:
That's pretty much the exact response that I expected...:)

FlyNE said:
That's pretty much the exact response that I expected...:)

As did I.

You MUST be open to everything. You MUST be willing to use whatever fits the mission the best. Those that do not...well I'm not going to start a war here. But it will bite you in the ass someday.

jangell said:
As did I.

You MUST be open to everything. You MUST be willing to use whatever fits the mission the best. Those that do not...well I'm not going to start a war here. But it will bite you in the ass someday.
One more time, dude. I do use what is best. We're talking about desktops not web servers. I have among other things over 20 years of Unix experience, experience in Windows since Windows 1.2 (NOT 3.0), I know them up down left right and under the hood. I was there in the labs where SMP Unix on Intel was being written. I have given up enough of my life watching Windows system reboot.

In my day job they pay me to decide whether to spend litterally $100millions on Windows, Linux, or Unix systems for each project. Sometimes it's a $3000 server. Sometimes it's a $750,000 server. Soemtimes it no server at all because I put it on an existing system. It really, honest to god, is my call. The silly joint thinks I know something.

I choose to spend my time doing useful work. It's long since it was a just fun, amusing hobby. At some point you might accept that I have the judgement to tell which really is better, not just what I've learned to use. On that point I have to use Windows at work. I'm allowed to be more productive when I'm not being paid to be productive.

Last edited:
FlyNE said:
Kent,

Thanks! :)

My favorite moment was when the Beech Starship landed right in front of me. That was cool.

You can also hear that Fisk Approach wasn't very busy (keeping in mind, of course, that all things are relative). Even the NOTAMless Wonder (listen to episode 41) could have made it in, their instructions were so detailed...

I still haven't even listened to the whole thing yet. I recorded it, butchered it for the intro of the first OSH update, put the whole thing on our FTP server, and Mike pushed it back out and I downloaded it and synced it to the iPod. It just hasn't come up in my current shuffle yet. Can't wait to hear it and relive it again! :yes:

mikea said:
I only had to install/rebbot remove/reboot install/reboot remove/reboot 4 times before it dawned on me that the helpfully company provided McAfee anti-virus was what was making the install fail each time.

Sounds like a Mcafee problem. Not a Microsoft problem. You can't blame the writer of the operating system for stupid practices performed by third parties in which they have no control over.

I could just as easily write some application for Mac OS X right now and make it do something horribly stupid. Is this Apple's fault? No. Blame the developer.

If you want to blame Microsoft for something. Try installing a fresh load of Windows 2000 or even Server 2003. Count how many times you must reboot to perform the required updates.

Blame the right party for the right problem.

jangell said:
Sounds like a Mcafee problem. Not a Microsoft problem. You can't blame the writer of the operating system for stupid practices performed by third parties in which they have no control over.

I sat at my desk while I heard a cubicle neighbor lament that installing the same VPN software at home completely broke her PC. The helpdesk offers no help other than recommending a reformat and reinstall. She sorta wants to keep her personal data.

She's a professional analyst and coder.

I can't imagine how mere mortals ever get stuff to work on Windows.

mikea said:
I sat at my desk while I heard a cubicle neighbor lament that installing the same VPN software at home completely broke her PC. The helpdesk offers no help other than recommending a reformat and reinstall. She sorta wants to keep her personal data.

She's a professional analyst and coder.

I can't imagine how mere mortals ever get stuff to work on Windows.
Check out the first 5 minutes of Diggnation Episode #58

http://www.diggnation.com/ or through iTunes

I'm not on the anti-anything bandwagon. They all have their issues.

Last edited:
Back