PIERP: EAA SportAir Workshop

Tarheel Pilot

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Tarheel Pilot
I just finished the first day of a two day SportAir workshop & I gotta say, I LOVE IT! I'm having a lot of fun & I'm learning so much! I signed up for sheet metal basic & it's the most fun I had in a classroom since Movie days.

Today I did a practice project to familiarize myself with the tools & how tonuse them. Which went very well, however I do need more time with the X-3 Rivet gun. Whenever I used it on the practice project, it bent the metal out of shape. I don't know if it's because I was using small, thin strips of metal or I wasn't using the rivet gun right.

I will say though, this workshop gives me a much needed confidence boost to tackle the RV-12.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

Is that in Chesapeake VA? I tried to register for that but the class was full. I was wait listed but apparently no one cancelled.

So now I'm signed up for the RV assembly class in March :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Good for you!

Try the 2x gun. The 3x is just a tad too heavy for the work you will be doing. The RV-12 kit is amazing.

Is that in Chesapeake VA? I tried to register for that but the class was full. I was wait listed but apparently no one cancelled.

So now I'm signed up for the RV assembly class in March :thumbsup:

Yep that's the one.

Good for you!

Try the 2x gun. The 3x is just a tad too heavy for the work you will be doing. The RV-12 kit is amazing.

What PSI do you recommend for thw 2x? EAA has the 3x at 40 psi.

Yep that's the one.

What PSI do you recommend for thw 2x? EAA has the 3x at 40 psi.

The 3x just hits too hard IMHO. You won't need it for the -12. Just get a good squeezer with a 3" yoke. Cheap ones will work, but they will not produce good results. Spend a few bucks and get a pneumatic squeezer also. It will save your wrists, and produces very consistent results. You can sell it when you are done and get back 90% of what you spent. Well worth the money.

40 psi sounds right.

If I sell mine I'll build another.

Finished my second & last day of the EAA workshop. It was a bit of a humbling experince. I had to make parts out of a piece of aluminum & I was horrible at it lol. Scratch-building is not in my future.

However building kits IS in my future. I've gotten more comfortable with the x3 rivet gun.

I think my -12 project is going to take longer than normal though, I lagged behind everyone else, I guess it's because it was my first time working with these tools & aluminum.

I had a GREAT time though & I highly recommend the EAA's SportAir workshop to anyone & everyone. 10/10.

I ran 37psi for up to 3-5's. The 3x is fine, just don't hold the trigger down for more than a couple of seconds. For AN426 flush rivets, a swivel flush set is more forgiving of less than perfect technique. For AN470 universal head rivets, a little piece of masking tape over the tip of the rivet set will help prevent "smileys" and dings in the skin. Also watch your gun position-keep it as perpendicular to the work as possible. Riveting isn't hard, after some more practice you'll get it.

Back