How far do you GO?

As a sport pilot I have people question whether you can actually go cross country in one of "those planes" with "that certificate" :) Well you can and I do. I have flown from Colorado Springs to Oshkosh twice, Santa Fe, Tucson, and Sebring Florida in the last 18 months since getting my cert. When I initially trained I said that I was learning to fly to go places. I have landed at almost 80 different airports across the states. For me cross countries are not only relaxing and enjoyable but they challenge me and force me to explore different airports, airspace and unique situations. It is great fun.

Carl

At home we typically run to the coast from Central Oregon, about 100nm, to Napa, Vegas, and Cour d Alene and the Orcas Islands. This spring we're planning a tour from Cent OR to Moab via Wendover, (see the 509th museum), then down the Grand Canyon to Vegas, up to Tahoe then home. Total for that trip will be about 1800 miles.

At home we typically run to the coast from Central Oregon, about 100nm, to Napa, Vegas, and Cour d Alene and the Orcas Islands. This spring we're planning a tour from Cent OR to Moab via Wendover, (see the 509th museum), then down the Grand Canyon to Vegas, up to Tahoe then home. Total for that trip will be about 1800 miles.

What do you fly?

The Mooney Ranger we owned for 12 years made many 200-300nm trips for family visits. Multiple MN to Cape Cod Trips (~990nm); Multiple MN to south FL (~1100nm); one MN to San Antonio (~950nm); commuted weekly for several months between MN and OKC (~590nm); two MN to Las Vegas (~1200nm) and one MN-WY-UT-AZ-CA-OR-WA-ID-MT-ND-MN trip (>3,000nm) over a four day weekend!

Plus a lot of local and $100 hamburger runs.

The Mooney Ranger we owned for 12 years made many 200-300nm trips for family visits. Multiple MN to Cape Cod Trips (~990nm); Multiple MN to south FL (~1100nm); one MN to San Antonio (~950nm); commuted weekly for several months between MN and OKC (~590nm); two MN to Las Vegas (~1200nm) and one MN-WY-UT-AZ-CA-OR-WA-ID-MT-ND-MN trip (>3,000nm) over a four day weekend!

Plus a lot of local and $100 hamburger runs.

Does the ranger have a useful load of about 1100lbs?

My longest non-stop was taking the Cherokee from Vernon TX to Ottumwa IA, then Non-stop back. With 50 gallons,(48 useable) and <8gph @115TAS the Cherokee 140 has long legs. Trips from FTY to FO5 required a stop in AR for brunch and fuel.
The return trip could have been made non-stop, but my bladder can't take it anymore.
My usual trips any more are about 200-300nm.
All are VFR as I have no IR.

From Minneapolis I've flown to Maine, Florida, Texas, Utah, Oregon, and several closer states. My first long trips were in a Cardinal RG, later a Bonanza, and finally a Baron.

We typically do 150nm - 450nm in a 182 Skylane or F33A Bonanza. Longest nonstop was Hartford (CT) to the Chicago area. Longest trips in general have been from Chicago to the Bahamas a few times (about 1100nm) and Chicago to Kalispell (MT) via Custer, Yellowstone and Great Falls (about 1300nm in a C-310).

Jackson Hole to Oshkosh, about 1000 nm...

Neighbor has a new CJ-4... trips to South Fla, non stop, about 4 1/2 hours at FL450...:)

This has to be the outlier here. Is your neighbor harrison ford? Or, are private jets more common in jackson hole than i suspected?

Cherokee 180 (see below) - 125ktas

Longest: Denver to Tampa and back, 1500nm one way, 2011.

Denver to DC and back, 1400nm one way, 2009

Denver to Oshkosh and back, 800nm one way, 2007, 2008, 2010

Denver to Perryton TX, 270nm, four to six times a year

Local puttering, 1 hour or so.

Cherokee 180 (see below) - 125ktas

Longest: Denver to Tampa and back, 1500nm one way, 2011.

Denver to DC and back, 1400nm one way, 2009

Denver to Oshkosh and back, 800nm one way, 2007, 2008, 2010

Denver to Perryton TX, 270nm, four to six times a year

Local puttering, 1 hour or so.

!!!! Those are 11hr flights! I also only the 180C.

Most flights are 2 hrs or so, one way. It takes that long to get anywhere from here, Las Vegas NV.

Longest trips, Nevada to Maine and back, 46 hrs round trip.
Nevada to Alaska and back, logged 53 hrs in 12 days.

My cross countries are always pretty long.

Done LA-Chicago 1600nm, LA-New Orleans 1400nm and next week I'm doing LA-Alabama 1700nm. Shortest "longer" one I've done was LA-Idaho, about 600nm. All VFR in vintage twin. Also numerous shorter trips to AZ, San Francisco, Mammoth etc.

Last edited:
Wisconsin to Florida, SC, Oregon, Santa Fe, Rapid City, Midland, San Antonio, Louisville, Vermont. Done all times of year, but in B-55 Baron with radar, NEXRAD, storm scope, known ice protection, etc.

I did an epic long xc for my private. KBHM-KJKA-KALX-KBHM. 438nm and 5.3 on the Hobbs in a C172.

My cross countries are always pretty long.

Done LA-Chicago 1600nm, LA-New Orleans 1400nm and next week I'm doing LA-Alabama 1700nm. Shortest "longer" one I've done was LA-Idaho, about 600nm. All VFR in vintage twin. Also numerous shorter trips to AZ, San Francisco, Mammoth etc.

Where in Alabama? When we say "LA", we are referring to Lower Alabama :D

Going to Dothan, AL. But from LA in California:)

My typical CC's are 450-500 miles. I have a Cirrus SR22 and flight plan for 170 kt's.

My parents have a house in Orlando, FL and one in Pt. Pleasant Beach NJ (other family in NJ too) so I'm usually averaging 1x per month from Chapel Hill, NC to FL or NJ.

My longest was to bring the plane back from purchase. Picked it up in Las Vegas, flew to CA (death valley)...and then all the way home to NC. Awesome fun

MyDomesticFlights-2.jpg

This is all of my domestic US flying, 80% of which was done in my work airplanes.

I tend to stay within about a 60nm radius of my home base because of the cost of renting.
When I did my student long solo XC in 2008, the entire XC was about 290 nm, the longest leg being 117 nm.
I did do one 900+ mile XC but with another pilot, some time ago.

I'll go anywhere if I have the time to get away from work and "real life". Beyond all that stuff, it's just gas and oil and the inevitable breakdowns on the "road". :)

Typical ~ 150 nm out (one way)
longer-est: kHFD -> kLYH in a -150E
and KMRY -> KPHX (pre-Class B in a 172K, via KPOC and KBLH (~600 nm)

As a GA pilot how far are your usual Cross-countries? also what airplane do you fly? Lastly, what's the farthest you've traveled?

Just curious how people use their piloting privileges.

80's LS6 sailplane, straight line, one way - Pittsburgh (22D) to Solberg NJ (N51) - 247NM (flying it beat driving it with my wife and Mom who drove the trailer)

90's Maule, Durham NC (8NC8) to Houston (EYQ), twice - 923NM

2012 RV10, Durham to Phoenix (KSDL) via Houston & Santa Fe - 1,861NM

For that past 15 years, almost all my flying is cross country.

Thanks for asking.

Due to rental costs I am stuck within 70nm or so unless someone else is footing the bill.

Typical trip is HAO to 3W2,

Longest was to central CO a couple of times.

You need to get out more.. Your life looks boring..;):D:lol:
Tell me about it. I'm sitting in Signatures' pilot lounge here in TEB waiting for the boss to show up and then it's back home to California. Rinse and repeat. :D

One of the best flights in my life. Flew my Cherokee 140 from Long Beach, CA to Burlington, VT. Flew about 4 hrs per leg. I had bought a stack of WAC charts and flight planned on the fly. Took about 4 days and about 24 hrs. in the air. I flew IFR to on top out of Long Beach and a bit on the very last leg. Everything else was VFR. Flying east of Ft. Wayne, IN, I ran into weather and turned around and landed back at Ft. Wayne.

With renting, I stay within 200-300 miles from home.

As a GA pilot how far are your usual Cross-countries? also what airplane do you fly? Lastly, what's the farthest you've traveled?

Just curious how people use their piloting privileges.

In my Cherokee 140 at 105 knots-
Wichita to Palm Springs, CA 1100nm Rt about 3 times
Wichita to Miami, FL 1500 nm RT about 4 times

In my Turbo Comanche 250 175 knots
Wichita, Key West, Grand Cayman Islands 2200 nm RT once
For two years I went to either coast every other month.

In a 180hp Comanche I flew Portland-NYC in 3 days. 2200nm.

Also do alot of local stuff with the Comanche-

1 hr trips to KC to enjoy my BC alumni group several times a year
1 1/2 hrs Clinton, OK about 3-4 times a year to see my sister.
1 hr to Tulsa for dinner and a play
1 hr to OKC to visit my neise at Norman OK University
1 hr to We Be Smoking BBQ in Paola, KS
20 minutes to Ponco City for Mexican food on the airport
12 minutes Benton KS hamburger on the airport
24 minute to Hutchinson KS for steaks on the airport.

This year I did not do half what I listed above as I am remodeling my country home for my retirement in the near future. Prior to this last year, I tried to fly 100-175 ea year.

Last edited:
I am out of Lincoln and fly a Cherokee. I regularly fly to Santa Barbara to see my son and went to Big Bear a few weeks ago to visit my dad. Most lunch runs are 1/2 an hour to an hour each way.

Should have told me, could have taken my Comanche and gone together. :)

Longest non stop was SPF->ISZ 919nm in my 182.

Granted it only took 5.5 on the Hobbs!

Back