AOPA Best GA Aircraft Ever

MachFly

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
MachFly
Nominate your favorite GA aircraft here: http://www.aopa.org/aircraft/challenge/nomination.cfm?method=nominate

Voting dates:

Round 1 (March 22-25) - 8 matches/day
Round 2 (March 26 and 27) - 8 matches/day
Round of 16 (March 30 and 31) - 4 matches/day
Round of 8 (April 1 and 2) - 4 matches, 2 days
Semi Finals (April 5-7) - 2 matches, 3 days
Championship (April 8) - 1 day of voting

P-51 won last year.

There is a place to put your email address but you don't need to fill it out to vote.

Last edited:
If the P-51 is a potential winner, that doesn't seem to make it a very good survey for best GA plane.

If the P-51 is a potential winner, that doesn't seem to make it a very good survey for best GA plane.

That's exactly what I thought, I guess these day P-51 can only be classified as GA.

The site doesn't say anything about GA.

But, This is still dumb, everyone knows an RV-10 is the best aircraft ever. :D

That's exactly what I thought, I guess these day P-51 can only be classified as GA.

I'd call it a warbird, which really shouldn't couint as GA for that survey. The plane was built to kill people.

Contenders that come to my mind are the 172 and the King Air. Planes whose prolific popularity has made them cornerstones of GA.

Yeah, I was unimpressed when I saw the P-51 in the vote last year.

which aircraft won last year?

This is like having a "who's the best girlfriend nomination".

Pilot's would vote for women they have never flown and never will based on who they frequently imagine would be really, really, fun to fly.

Pilot's would vote for women they have never flown and never will based on who they frequently imagine would be really, really, fun to fly.

:rofl:

You owe me a new keyboard, Alex.

Actually, I'd vote for the 310. So does that mean I married the right woman er airplane? I'd say yes to both. :)

:rofl:

You owe me a new keyboard, Alex.

Actually, I'd vote for the 310. So does that mean I married the right woman er airplane? I'd say yes to both. :)

Man, you'd better! :yes:

Amen! Where's the "praising tiny baby Jesus" emote? Oh well :cheers:

When did you get an RV-10?
You don't "get" an RV, the RV "gets" you. They are now so advanced that they asemble themselves in the UPS boxes en route to your house and then mind-meld with the unwary pilot who pries open the box. The new programming requires them to go onto internet forums and act like jerks at every possible turn while evangelizing in such a way that even Jim Bakker would blush. All while going Mach 2.6 on 3 teaspoons per hour of zero-ethanol water buffalo urine.

You don't "get" an RV, the RV "gets" you. They are now so advanced that they asemble themselves in the UPS boxes en route to your house and then mind-meld with the unwary pilot who pries open the box. The new programming requires them to go onto internet forums and act like jerks at every possible turn while evangelizing in such a way that even Jim Bakker would blush. All while going Mach 2.6 on 3 teaspoons per hour of zero-ethanol water buffalo urine.

What aircraft do you nominate?

How many different aircraft have you flown?

How many aircraft have you built?

Or do you just always spew non sense?

No, not really. You just get a Lancair. It's done every year at Reno in the sport class. The day a Vans wins, I'll take a second look. ;):D

I must have missed the part where this thread was about the fasted GA aircraft ever...

Oh wait... it's not.

I must have missed the part where this thread was about the fasted GA aircraft ever...

Oh wait... it's not.

Fastest isn't best?? :confused::dunno: If I didn't want fast, I'd just drive my car and save great load of money.

Hmmmm...

Maybe the Mini Van is the best GA plane ever. high useful load, seats gobs of people with luggage and has the highest MPG per seat. It has FIKI (you scraping it in the morning) cheap to buy, runs on MOGAS, you can work on it yourself, you can build it yourself if you want to take the time, the government doesn't care much what you do with it and it has real locking doors!

Lots of visibility and great lighting. It's easy to get parts for, it was built long after you were born and the motor doesn't self destruct if you don't use it for a month. LOP, or ROP, we'll never know because it does whatever it does and it does it better than you could ever dream to. Hot restart? No problem!

Pull the steering wheel off and bolt on a Cessna yoke folks! Then pop in the CD of P-51 sounds and put on your Captain's uniform. You're good to go! Cleared direct to fun town! :cheers:

Well, I'll take an F16 or something like that--fast and nimble and big payload. Just sayin' there are some crazy people out there. I don't think you'll see me getting into a flat spin in a citation or a 707 any time soon.

Well, I'll take an F16 or something like that--fast and nimble and big payload. Just sayin' there are some crazy people out there. I don't think you'll see me getting into a flat spin in a citation or a 707 any time soon.

No no I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with doing a barrel roll on a Citation or a 707, I'm saying that if I needed to do aerobatics it would not be my airplane of choice.

So fastest is not always the best, depends on the purpose.

Yep, I agree with you, MachFly. The comment on the Citation was not to be taken too seriously. I always get a kick out of seeing planes do what planes don't normally do. And yeah, I think Dave was not being completely serious either. Most pilots appreciate a Piper Cub even though I can go faster than one on my bike down a hill. :yes:

Back