Mardi Gras 2013

flygirl34q

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
-
Mardi Gras turns out to fall on February 12th this year and I was kicking around the idea of going down there to see what that's all about and crossing that off my bucket list. Has anyone ever been there for Mardi Gras?? It has already been suggested to me that KNEW is the GA airport of choice.

I've never been but I hear that the scenery can be quite good if enough beads are involved :)

I have been there in July and weather kind of s**ked. I am sure February is much better, though. Even in July, it made Vegas look tame. I can only imagine what Mardi Gras is like. There is some good food and good music, though.

Last edited:
The party of your life. :yes:The first time is the best. Just the shock value. :DWatch your back out of the French Quarter, it can be Sketchy. Cheep food and drink,and chicks in little dress and some less. :yikes:God bless America. Go while your young. Not to be missed!:goofy:

PM me if you are looking for local info (I live in Nola). I park at Hawthorne for now until I can get a private hangar, I recommend them. Also recommend calling for a reservation if you want it to stay inside. The wx is great this week, if it stays like this it will be great MG weather.

Just got back from there. KNEW is the place to be. I parked at Flightline First and am happy with their service.

Stay in the French Quarter and do not rent a car. Walk everywhere and just taxi to/from airport. For longer distances after getting stuffed on awesome food, take a pedi-cab (bicycle taxi - hauls up to 2 people at once).

French quarter is a ridiculous cluster **** during Marti gras. - suggest you enjoy it at a different time of year.

French quarter is a ridiculous cluster **** during Marti gras. - suggest you enjoy it at a different time of year.

You're sounding more and more like a member of the grumpy old man club all the time. It's the experience people go there for during Mardi Gras time! :cheers::cheers::cheers:

I did it once, don't feel the need to do it again but I guess you have to do it at least once. I visited NOLA in April one year, and liked April better - both for weather and less crowds. When we went for MG, we froze our butts off in late February.

We stayed in the Garden District which has plenty of parades but isn't as nutty. However the French Quarter has Cafe du Monde. You have to go to Cafe du Monde.

Don't miss the D-Day museum.

NOLA has never been a favorite of mine. Been there many times for work. Have done several trade shows at the convention center. I've not been to Mardi Gras, not my kind of gig. If you do go though I would suggest at least one dinner at Mulates, kitty corner across the street from the convention center.

http://www.neworleansrestaurants.com/mulates_cajun_restaurant/

New Orleans was the first place I ever encountered Lexan between the gas station attendant and the customers.

Ditto on Mulate's.
Went there for a breakfast of beer and blackened gator bits every morning.....!

Ill have a 27 hour layover..will need 20 of that to recover.

Lived in NOLA for awhile. Was offshore when the MG parade came down my street. Got to clean the mess but that was about it. Not much fun. :(

Well. This ought to be an opportunity for a few interesting photos for the scrapbook! If you'd like David... Maybe we could meet up for dinner one evening. I'll be there the week of Mardi Gras. :)

Mardi Gras turns out to fall on February 12th this year and I was kicking around the idea of going down there to see what that's all about and crossing that off my bucket list. Has anyone ever been there for Mardi Gras?? It has already been suggested to me that KNEW is the GA airport of choice.

Vomit, beads and bare breasts.

The party of your life. :yes:The first time is the best. Just the shock value. :DWatch your back out of the French Quarter, it can be Sketchy. Cheep food and drink,and chicks in little dress and some less. :yikes:God bless America. Go while your young. Not to be missed!:goofy:

Only if you haven't been to Fantasy Fest in Key West, makes Mardi Gras look like a Southern Baptist convention.;)

You're sounding more and more like a member of the grumpy old man club all the time. It's the experience people go there for during Mardi Gras time! :cheers::cheers::cheers:

Being puked on by a bunch of hooting drunks is an experience all right.:rofl:

Being puked on by a bunch of hooting drunks is an experience all right.:rofl:

So I shouldn't bring my good Vera Bradley camera bag and definitely wear hip waders and rubber gloves... Check! I want to go where the good beads are and am willing to dress for mess. :vomit::vomit::vomit::thumbsup:

NOLA has never been a favorite of mine. Been there many times for work. Have done several trade shows at the convention center. I've not been to Mardi Gras, not my kind of gig. If you do go though I would suggest at least one dinner at Mulates, kitty corner across the street from the convention center.

Wow, something we agree on. My personal opinion of NOLA is this, I'd rather be in Detroit. NOLA is just plain dirty, a nasty town.

But, KNEW is the only way to go. Just don't venture out of the airport into the neighborhood at night.

I am a student in NOLA and I would highly recommend staying uptown, downtown is just so crowded that you can't move/see in my experience. To repeat what everyone else has been saying KNEW is definitely the place to fly into.

So I shouldn't bring my good Vera Bradley camera bag and definitely wear hip waders and rubber gloves... Check! I want to go where the good beads are and am willing to dress for mess. :vomit::vomit::vomit::thumbsup:

Just wear a clear poncho with nothing underneath and a pair of throw away flip flops.

Well. This ought to be an opportunity for a few interesting photos for the scrapbook! If you'd like David... Maybe we could meet up for dinner one evening. I'll be there the week of Mardi Gras. :)

The current plan is for me to get there on the 8th.

I am a student in NOLA and I would highly recommend staying uptown, downtown is just so crowded that you can't move/see in my experience. To repeat what everyone else has been saying KNEW is definitely the place to fly into.

Thanks for the info and a hearty welcome to PoA!

Wow, something we agree on. My personal opinion of NOLA is this, I'd rather be in Detroit. NOLA is just plain dirty, a nasty town.

But, KNEW is the only way to go. Just don't venture out of the airport into the neighborhood at night.

I used to say the same thing till I moved here. Yes, it can be dirty at times but worse than Detroit? Hardly. Don't let the nay sayers scare you off. I've been pleasantly surprised by the experience of living here.

I drive to/from KNEW at night all the time. Don't be scared of that! (If you want a local to follow you/give you directions, let me know).

People watch to much tv. I have Attended Mardi Gras four times. Never been puked on or seen anyone puke. Can it happen, sure. A lot of people will puke this weekend at,or watching the Super Bowl. Pick pockets, sure saw them one time. First year. Saw them coming from a block away. Want to go to jail. Touch someone that doesn't want to be touched. Defecating on the street. Show your stuff out of the French quarter.ie On Parade routes.(those are for Family's.) Fight. You will sit in a Paddy wagon all day and into the night. with all kinds of drunks, cuffed. Your Mardi Gras is over for the duration of Mardi Gras They don't play. No second chances. More cop in the Crowd then you can believe. Mostly undercover. Go once. Have fun. Be safe. Never had one Problem. Just met a lot of great people.

Only if you haven't been to Fantasy Fest in Key West, makes Mardi Gras look like a Southern Baptist convention.;)

I was at Fantasy Fest last year... It is a bit naughty but nothing compared the flagpole / turn4 at the 12 hours of Sebring back in the early 80's.... Stuff went on there that was virtually indiscribable..:yes::D:nono:

Yep. Indy 500. Kentucky Derby. Burning Man.All off the hook on the The Debauchery scale.:goofy::yikes::hairraise::nono::rofl::yes::confused: FUN! As much or little as you want. I say again God bless America!

I have done the Gras a few times, age 20 to age 35. Some I remember, some I don't. I've been in parades, and I've been a spectator. Best way to gather quality beads? Take your toddlers to an early season Uptown parade! To quote my wife: "Would you look at this haul? And to think of what I used to go through . . ."

Fantasy Fest: Best piece of advice? All that body paint used to camouflage the obvious has to be applied. Usually by a street artist. Just sayin' . . .

You are summin else! Lol

Spent my impressionable years in New Orleans(college) and experience four Mardis Gras. The college gave us off until thursday after Mardis Gras which was a good thing. N'awlins is a city you either love or hate. I love it, my wife who grew up there hates it, and thus I have not been in over 15 years. Mardis Gras is everything everyone describe. There is a lot of good and bad, but at the end of the day it is one giant party with everything amplified 1000x. If you go be ready for the time of your life, you will enjoy yourself tremendously. Some ground rules need apply:
Stay off the side streets and empty streets.
Do not do it alone, go in a group and stay in a group.
Do not let your guard down. You will be drunk and unfortunately N'Awlins is not a safe city to begin with, and this is only magnified during Mardis Gras.
Try to experience some of the Parades outside of N'Awlins. When I was there Metarie(suburb of N'Awlins) some great parades, as did Lafayette.
If the cops tell you to do something, do not argue, they are working nonstop during Mardis Gras and typically are tired and not in a mood to argue. Just do whatever they tell you to do.
Have fun.

Doug

You are summin else! Lol

I know that you meant this in the absolutely nicest possible PoA way, right?? :rofl:

Spent my impressionable years in New Orleans(college) and experience four Mardis Gras. The college gave us off until thursday after Mardis Gras which was a good thing. N'awlins is a city you either love or hate. I love it, my wife who grew up there hates it, and thus I have not been in over 15 years. Mardis Gras is everything everyone describe. There is a lot of good and bad, but at the end of the day it is one giant party with everything amplified 1000x. If you go be ready for the time of your life, you will enjoy yourself tremendously. Some ground rules need apply:
Stay off the side streets and empty streets.
Do not do it alone, go in a group and stay in a group.
Do not let your guard down. You will be drunk and unfortunately N'Awlins is not a safe city to begin with, and this is only magnified during Mardis Gras.
Try to experience some of the Parades outside of N'Awlins. When I was there Metarie(suburb of N'Awlins) some great parades, as did Lafayette.
If the cops tell you to do something, do not argue, they are working nonstop during Mardis Gras and typically are tired and not in a mood to argue. Just do whatever they tell you to do.
Have fun.

Doug

Yes... planning on going in a group and doing the parades on Monday and Tuesday away from the French Quarter and then going back after MG once things have calmed down a little bit. That area was described to me by a local as "a lot of ****, puke, beer, and ankle-deep trash on a bio-hazard street" on the day of Mardi Gras. She did not recommend that as my first-timer tour guide. Maybe she thought it might be too much of a shock for me. LOL. She did mention there is a big parade put on by the Krewe of Endymion that is a good one to go to... lots of celebrities. (Kelly Clarkson is the grand marshal this year.) So David, if you are there by the weekend, this might be a fun one to go to with your friends... I read that the good parade viewing spots are staked out days in advance. I'm thinking the whole MG experience may not be the best time to get truly wasted... but we'll see! Planning on lots of fun whatever ends up happening. :D Already thinking about the weather... ugh. I've been told it can be anything from great :D to impossible. :eek: I still need to get my autopilot fixed sometime before I go and the weather here hasn't been very good lately for doing that. A long-ish xc with no AP wouldn't be the best thing ever. :rolleyes2:

Try to be on Bourbon Street at 2359 on Tuesday. If they still do what they used to do. It is a sight to behold. One second everyone is partying and having a good time and then the next second a "parade" of cops, horses, trucks, and street cleaners come down the street and everything stops, and closes.

I used to say the same thing till I moved here. Yes, it can be dirty at times but worse than Detroit? Hardly. Don't let the nay sayers scare you off. I've been pleasantly surprised by the experience of living here.

I drive to/from KNEW at night all the time. Don't be scared of that! (If you want a local to follow you/give you directions, let me know).

Trust me, I've flown low level (1000 ft) over the entirety of the city. I'm in town now. NoLa is a place I'd be happy to never come back to. I've stayed in the neighborhood around Lakefront, and I wouldn't venture out at night. There's a reason we stay in Slidell and drive down there to fly now.

But, by the same token, I can see why a drunkard would appreciate this city.

Back