On a scale of 1 to 10

Best to try to shut the engine down and bump the starter to get the prop in the right spot so it won't strike the ground when you land belly up!

If you review the NTSB records, that is the only time people get hurt in a gear up landing, when they try stupid crap like this. Never save machines at the risk of skin, it's just stupid. Use the power to control the approach and sink rate to minimums.

We love to say:"it is the insurance company's plane as soon as I start up".
Say TBO 2000 hour engine:
Prop strike at 1999 hours, who pays what?
At 2000 hours ?
At 2001 hours?

At 2000 hours ?
At 2001 hours?

Insurance company will pay to clear forward liability. Even when I brought up the standard prop strike inspections I was told to pay for overhauls with new cranks.

At 2000 hours ?
At 2001 hours?

Talk to your insurance broker. If the answer isn't what you want, do you really think the answer is worth risking someone's life like that? No thanks.

My understanding is they pay for the teardown inspection, replacement parts as needed from the strike, new prop, airframe damage, etc. Unless it exceeds hull in which case they write it off and send you a check.

How stupid is this?

If that is the one I remember, it was a LONG time ago. I remember it on the news. There was a purpose for that stunt though. He managed to pull the gear down and thus the plane came in safely.

Back