First Handgun

I wonder if there is a market for a device to play a recording of the pump shotgun action... :) Think of the fun, especially when combined with a laser....

I'm sure that's all it would take to deter some would-be home invaders. :lol:

The sound of racking a shotgun also lets the intruder know exactly where you are, as a flashlight would. If they had a gun, that's probably the direction they will start shooting. The first (and last) noise they hear from me would be that of the gun being fired.

A pump gun makes a distinctive sound when you rack the slide that can't be mistaken for anything else. And, the muzzle of that 12 gauge looks like a sewer pipe when you are looking down it from the wrong end.

It was in response to the suggestion to use birdshot for home defense. Not that a shotgun is a bad choice. Serious crew around here.

The sound of racking a shotgun also lets the intruder know exactly where you are, as a flashlight would. If they had a gun, that's probably the direction they will start shooting. The first (and last) noise they hear from me would be that of the gun being fired.

Agree on the sound issue. Making cute noises is not what you do in a fight. If you have an intruder then you engage him with the most effective means available.

By the way, the proper answer is buckshot, not birdshot. Remember the hunting accident Cheney had? Birdshot from a 16-ga to the head of his buddy. He lived, even being a rather old man, and didn't seem too much worse for wear. Had it been #4 Buckshot or bigger they'd have needed a shop vac to collect up the skull fragments.

Birdshot is for birds. Buckshot is for bad guys. Slugs are for deer.

Agree on the sound issue. Making cute noises is not what you do in a fight. If you have an intruder then you engage him with the most effective means available.

By the way, the proper answer is buckshot, not birdshot. Remember the hunting accident Cheney had? Birdshot from a 16-ga to the head of his buddy. He lived, even being a rather old man, and didn't seem too much worse for wear. Had it been #4 Buckshot or bigger they'd have needed a shop vac to collect up the skull fragments.

Birdshot is for birds. Buckshot is for bad guys. Slugs are for deer.
The guy caught 4 pellets of #12 bird shot, he did not take a load of shot to the head.

The only issue I have with a shotgun is that, unless it's short barrelled with a stockless pistol grip, it's unweildy in tight quarters.

So I talked to a local gun store owner today and he said he could get me new Glock 19 for $480. I'm now leaning towards that with the blackhawk serpa holster that has a built in trigger guard lock. I need to put off my purchase a couple more months because I still want to have some flying money! Anybody have any opinions on this setup?

So I talked to a local gun store owner today and he said he could get me new Glock 19 for $480. I'm now leaning towards that with the blackhawk serpa holster that has a built in trigger guard lock. I need to put off my purchase a couple more months because I still want to have some flying money! Anybody have any opinions on this setup?

Excellent choice on the gun, and a very fair price too. The serpa is a poor choice for concealment but good for anything else.

Sent via teletype

The only issue I have with a shotgun is that, unless it's short barrelled with a stockless pistol grip, it's unweildy in tight quarters.

Only if you don't know what you're doing...

I wonder if there is a market for a device to play a recording of the pump shotgun action... :) Think of the fun, especially when combined with a laser....

I prefer a recording of a chainsaw. Perps think you're armed and mentally disturbed...

I prefer a recording of a chainsaw. Perps think you're armed and mentally disturbed...

Why a recording, why not the real thing ? For additional effect, you have to be naked when you chase around someone with your chainsaw.

Why a recording, why not the real thing ? For additional effect, you have to be naked when you chase around someone with your chainsaw.

Naah. I'm lazy. Why get out of bed if you've already got 'em on the run?

:thumbsup: for the G19

:nono: for the Serpa holster for conceal carry. The trigger guard lock is a deterrent to yourself in time of extreme crisis where a split second counts.

:thumbsup: for the G19

:nono: for the Serpa holster for conceal carry. The trigger guard lock is a deterrent to yourself in time of extreme crisis where a split second counts.

My problem is that I would be constantly paranoid that the gun would discharge, or in this case, fall out of my holster, without a safety of some sort. Perhaps as I get more comfortable I will switch to a holster without a lock.

Skip the Serpa. There have been too many reports of problems with the release button. I know some local departments by me who have banned them.

My problem is that I would be constantly paranoid that the gun would discharge, or in this case, fall out of my holster, without a safety of some sort. Perhaps as I get more comfortable I will switch to a holster without a lock.

I've been using Don Hume leather inside the waist holsters for years. Never had one fall out of it. And a Glock has 3 safety systems, 4 with the ILS system. It would be very hard, if not almost impossible, for it to discharge sitting in a holster. I've seen Glocks fall to the ground and get kicked across the street without them going off.

Second range trip with the XDS. Did various drills at mostly close range. Just under 200 rounds, just getting the feel of the pistol still and getting her all broken in.

Thoughts: Note to self. Do not slam a Starbucks Mocha before going shooting. Shaky! LOL!

Here's a sight pickup drill. Five targets, five shots at 12'. This is attempt #2. First attempt was as close except for a flyer on the right target. The little targets top and bottom are 1".

uha9ugav.jpg

Here was attempt number 1. Missed the bottom target by about 1" and the right target, that cut at the edge of the big target is that flyer. Drat.

zynetutu.jpg

Here's me attempting a modified Weaver stance. In general I'm not as comfortable in Weaver but I wanted to shake things up a bit.

yte7adu9.jpg

Today was dry dry dry here. It's about 20F outside with virtually zero water in the air. Hands were very dry. I think after seeing a few grip problems today, I want to put either the Talon or the PSP rubberized tape grips on the XDS. I had one FTF that was the grip safety not engaged. Hand slowly works its way down during reloads.

Here's two 7rd magazines as fast as I could shoot them at 17' and a relatively slow and deliberate reload, still working on loosening up that magazine release.

a4u5ered.jpg

The other ones I don't have photos of are two targets side by side at 21' going back and forth, those came out with 2" groupings the left target on the bull, the right target 1" high but together.

Also did a series of double taps. 2 shots, pause, 2 shots, pause 1 shot with the 5 rd mags, and same pattern with an extra set with 7rd mags. First time I've attempted to double tap this gun. Reasonable for the first time, everything in the black at 12' except for 3 flyers, all about 4" high. Gotta work on pushing that muzzle back down!

Had a blast, no pun intended. No slamming coffee anymore before shooting!!!

Other notes to self: Work on breath control and releasing death grip on pistol after 100 rounds. Ha. Kinda was fighting it with the shakies going on. Needed to R E L A X!

Fun stuff!

Have some range time scheduled for tomorrow but that's for Karen mostly so she can shoot her new M&P. I may bring the rifle, or I may get holster qualified. Still fending off the remnants that head cold that lasted all week.

The fastest way to improve combat Pistol shooting and reloading imo is a dueling tree against someone really good. Anyone else like them?

Not sure if you are looking strictly self defense or another hobby you can spend a lot of many real quick, just like aviation. But if you like any competition that is fun and improves weapon handling. You should look into local matches that are USPSA-IPSC-IDPA. I thought I was good with a pistol, until I did my first match.

Excellent choice on the gun, and a very fair price too. The serpa is a poor choice for concealment but good for anything else.

Sent via teletype

Concur on both points. I can conceal with a serpa but I'm a big guy. The 19 is a full size weapon. Dont be afraid to get a compact, even if you pay a little more.

Sorry for the bump.

I wanted to thank everyone for the information provided in here - on Sunday I purchased a Beretta Nano which I'll carry concealed. I'm taking the course this Thursday. Pocket holsters are made for it, but I think it's a bit too heavy for that, so I'm going to carry IWB primarily. Now to find a good holster...

It's a neat little gun, anyone have experience with it? From the reviews I've read and watched, people seem to like it.

Sorry for the bump.

I wanted to thank everyone for the information provided in here - on Sunday I purchased a Beretta Nano which I'll carry concealed. I'm taking the course this Thursday. Pocket holsters are made for it, but I think it's a bit too heavy for that, so I'm going to carry IWB primarily. Now to find a good holster...

It's a neat little gun, anyone have experience with it? From the reviews I've read and watched, people seem to like it.

I looked at one, but it was way too small for my hand. Got a Kahr CW40 instead. I'll carry it AFTER I get some time on the range to put a couple hundred rounds through it. In the meantime, a Bersa Thunder380cc fits in the pocket quite nicely.

I looked at one, but it was way too small for my hand. Got a Kahr CW40 instead. I'll carry it AFTER I get some time on the range to put a couple hundred rounds through it. In the meantime, a Bersa Thunder380cc fits in the pocket quite nicely.

I have good sized hands but my fingers aren't terribly wide, so it feels pretty good when I hold it.

I'll definitely put rounds through mine before carrying (I won't be carring for a month or so I'm guessing by the time my paperwork gets processed I'm guessing). Plenty of time to get it broken in and become familiar.

Edit: i looked at the Kahr. A lot of people didn't seem to like the way it shoots. How do you feel about it?

I would stay away from a level two Serpa until you are extremely comfortable with every aspect of that weapon ... Many people have shot themselves in the leg or foot because of their finger sliding into the trigger well when pressing the lever and drawing .

But +1 for the glock 19 ... You may also want to check out the Glock 26. It's the subcompact 9mm that is a bit smaller and easier to conceal.

Last edited:
I've had a S&W .38 Special forever but only recently applied for my CC permit. Surprisingly, it arrived in the mail two weeks after submitting my app, which was half the time expected with the current flood of applications. Last week I picked up a little Kel-Tec 380 with laser sight used for $225 with an extra mag and two holsters. It's not a bad little gun. At 21' I could keep a group within about 12-15"...all in the black on the outline target. I suspect with some practice I can improve on that.

In a SD situation , the more holes in various places the better. Makes the hydraulics leak faster.

Sent from my iPhone
using Tapatalk

Edit: i looked at the Kahr. A lot of people didn't seem to like the way it shoots. How do you feel about it?

I'll let you know when I get it to the range. I don't plan on it being a target pistol. Something with more oomph than a .380 and still nicely concealable. And it is compact, only sightly larger than my Bersa.

I'm looking for a pocket carry firearm, something for my front pocket. Probably a .380 or a sub compact 9mm. The Ruger LCP and the KelTec P3at are on my short list but I'm a lefty. Any other southpaws out there having challenges with concealed carry or pocket carry?

I just took my concealed carry safety course yesterday and am in the market for my first handgun. I just turned 21 so now all I need is the piece of paper from the county clerk and I will be good to go. I'm looking for a handgun in the high 300's or low 400's range that would be easily concealable for everyday carry. I'm pretty much set on a 9mm but I haven't decided which one yet. I would like a safety just as a precaution since it is my first handgun. I have looked at the Ruger LC9 and am leaning towards that. Any gun owners have any advice for a first time buyer?

I'd recommend a .40SW, you can carry quite a few rounds, many .40s can swap out to a 357Sig if you need glass penetration and it has alot more energy at impact compared to the 9mm

For a pistol, I'd go with a Sig, great quality and reliability (thousands of round and never had a stove pipe or any other fault) they also shoot smoothly and fit my hand quite well.

If youre going to carry be sure to use +P+ JHPs, and be sure to qualify yourself with those rounds they are a bit hotter then range rounds or the cheap stuff.

Sorry for the bump.

I haven't tried the nano yet, but I own several Beretta's and they all have been good to me. I'm sure you'll be happy with it if it fits you well.

I would get some good self-defense ammo and take it to the range. IMO you can't use a 9mm for CC with ball rounds.

This is my first (and only) handgun. My parents have several that I have shot but I decided I wanted a 1911 because it just feels right. I don't/can't carry it (because for one I'm not licensed and 2 I'm about 100 pounds off to be big enough to conceal a full size 1911) but it's fun to shoot (only shot it about 100 times though)

gete4una.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I got a Kahr PM40 this spring. I forget I even have it most of the time it's so light.

Late to this one, I carry one of three rigs:

Concealed:

Springfield XD-9 sub in a Smartcarry
Kimber Ultra Carry II in Milt Sparks VersaMax

Open carry:

Glock 21 in a Blackhawk Serpa Level III Duty

I'm looking for a pocket carry firearm, something for my front pocket. Probably a .380 or a sub compact 9mm. The Ruger LCP and the KelTec P3at are on my short list but I'm a lefty. Any other southpaws out there having challenges with concealed carry or pocket carry?

No Lefty's, huh?

Used to shoot a P88C
Nothing feels quite as right after that one and the P88C prices are friggin' outrageous these days :(

What would you recomend for home defense? (Not concealed or open carry.)

I'm a complete novice. I fired a handgun once many years ago with my friend at a gun range. He was in the FBI at the time, and it was his service weapon. (It was black one, if that helps.)

Would you recomend a laser sight for home defense?

I now have a three month old, so I am re-thinking my past security decisions. Thanks in advance for any thoughts and advice.

And yes, I know, I won't just go buy something and bring it home, and I know securing it from little hands is priority number one. I would start with some really good training before I do anything else.

Back