Jeeps are good.

Maxmosbey

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
I need to get serious.
I am a Jeep enthusiast. I own a 1975 CJ5. Well, most of it is 1975 anyway. It is not restored, or in show room condition, or even original, but it is driven, and driven hard. Me and my friends in the Jeep Club drive our Jeeps, bust them up, tear them down, put them back together, and bust them up again. We love Jeeps. Anyway, here is a video that one of our members put together that is 39 minutes of Jeep commercials going beck to the 50s. Enjoy them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ciuq0PDQBmg&feature=youtu.be

Which Jeep club are you in up there?

I bought a Jeep brand new in 96. It was in the shop 9 times before 30,000 miles, and the transmission broke at 28,000. After it was "repaired" the 4WD wouldn't engage. For all my trouble the regional manager of Jeep told me to "go **** yourself and deal with it."

Because of his attitude, I will never own another Jeep product, ever.

I purchased a new 2003 Rubicon. After 10 years, it now has about 17K miles. Most are trail miles. It has been the most reliable and capable vehicle I have had. The engine temp comes up quickly and the heater works great. It is impressive that the cooling system goes to temp and stays put over all operating conditions. Never overheated, even when climbing long steep grades on a hot day.

Had a 2007 Jeep Liberty, but traded it for a Ford a couple years later because it had too many issues.

Coming up 60k on our 07, I've replaced the rear rotors and pads.

I've accumulated about 250,000 mi behind the wheel of jeeps.

I own a nissan now. Ever since they ditched the 4.0 inline 6 things just have not been the same.

I sold my last jeep a few weeks back. 4.7V8 @ 200k miles. It ran but the motor and trans were clapped out. I sold my previous two 4.0l jeeps at 150k and 200k and they were both running strong.

I bought an '08 Jeep Liberty two years ago. I've enjoyed it so far and, knock on wood, haven't had any issues thus far.

I bought a brand new 1987 Jeep Wrangler in August of 1986. A week later the dealership rebuilt the carb. I ended up replacing the carb seven times. I also had to rebuild the engine at about 80,000 miles.

Maybe I should dump it. :D

Which Jeep club are you in up there?
I'm in the Iowa Jeep Cub, which splintered off from The Jeep Outdoor Club of Central Iowa. I don't know if JOCCI was active when you were living up here, but there was a split last summer. We are actually still in the process of setting up the Iowa Jeep Club. It is most of the people who were putting on the Iowa Jeep Show every year in Nevada. If you were affiliated with JOCCI and are interested in what is going on send me a PM and I will fill you in.

I'm in the Iowa Jeep Cub, which splintered off from The Jeep Outdoor Club of Central Iowa. I don't know if JOCCI was active when you were living up here, but there was a split last summer. We are actually still in the process of setting up the Iowa Jeep Club. It is most of the people who were putting on the Iowa Jeep Show every year in Nevada. If you were affiliated with JOCCI and are interested in what is going on send me a PM and I will fill you in.

Yeah, I was pretty involved with JOCCI before we moved down here in 2010. I still check out their and IA4X4's website every once in a while and saw where they had some sort of 'disruption'. There were a few new 'egos' that showed up right before we moved away, so the split isn't surprising.

If you bump into Jim Shanks, Bill Magie, or any of the other guys from the 'old' JOCCI, tell them I said hello!

Man, I bought a Cherokee with the 4.0 engine in 1989, and in almost 200,000 miles, the only failure it suffered was leaking fuel injectors (built by Bosch).

It was pretty much perfect.

I bought a 1999 Wrangler new in 1999. It just passed 184,000 miles this morning on the way to work. There have been a few items fixed/replaced over the years, but nothing I would consider unacceptable. The 4.0l I-6 motor is bulletproof.

Had an 04 Liberty that I rolled three times on I-75 after getting hit in the back during a downpour. Not a scratch on me. Every glass busted out. The sun roof opened. Did I say a downpour !

Bought an 06 with very low miles. Belonged to a neighbor (snow bird) garage kept.

Love it. Just wished we could get better mpg. :yes:

I bought a brand new 1987 Jeep Wrangler in August of 1986. A week later the dealership rebuilt the carb. I ended up replacing the carb seven times. I also had to rebuild the engine at about 80,000 miles.

Maybe I should dump it. :D

26 years is long enough, maybe.

Carbs often get replaced or rebuilt repeatedly when the real trouble is weak ignition. That goes for airplanes, too.

Dan

Jeeps are like fine wine, older is better.

Engine pic from my 1982 CJ5. Came with the iron duke GM 4 cylinder. I decided to add a little more power in the form of a Corvette Tuned Port 350. Took a lot of time and money to get right.

Makes for a fun ride.

Attachments

• IMG_0785.jpg
    IMG_0785.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 20
Jeeps are like fine wine, older is better.
Well, then here's me with my 1951 CJ-3A:
jeep.jpg

Mind you, I was a bit younger then....

Ron Wanttaja

Engine pic from my 1982 CJ5. Came with the iron duke GM 4 cylinder. I decided to add a little more power in the form of a Corvette Tuned Port 350. Took a lot of time and money to get right.

Makes for a fun ride.

Alex: I was already glad I got to meet you, but now it is official- I need to know you better! :D

Nice rig.

26 years is long enough, maybe.

Carbs often get replaced or rebuilt repeatedly when the real trouble is weak ignition. That goes for airplanes, too.

Dan

I've had it for longer than I've had my wife. I won't get rid of either.

The Carter BBD was a trusty old carb that got hacked by AMC to try to make it emissions compliant. They put an electronic mixture adjustment stepper motor on the back and added six additional idle adjustments.

The last carb I put on is an old non-electronic version. Runs great now, but I'm still considering going with a fuel injection setup. The setup from the 4.0 inline will go on my 4.2 with only a little hammering.

The last carb I put on is an old non-electronic version. Runs great now, but I'm still considering going with a fuel injection setup. The setup from the 4.0 inline will go on my 4.2 with only a little hammering.

Go with the fuel injection. I messed with carbs for years, but I got tired of stalling out on every steep incline.

I bought a Jeep brand new in 96. It was in the shop 9 times before 30,000 miles, and the transmission broke at 28,000. After it was "repaired" the 4WD wouldn't engage. For all my trouble the regional manager of Jeep told me to "go **** yourself and deal with it."

Because of his attitude, I will never own another Jeep product, ever.

I went through the lemon law on new 95 Grand Cherokee. Chrysler had to buy it back. Bad engine lasted 20k miles. I bought a 2008 Liberty with a Sky roof convertible at a sheriff sale. That was a real joke. Duct tape was holding it down when I got it.

Last edited:
I'm from a Jeep family. My dad owned a 1987 Cherokee that we put about 220,000 miles on before we sold it. I think he rebuilt the engine around 150,000, and had to replace a few radiators due to deer encounters.

The next Jeep was a 97 Wrangler that we built up for off-roading. Because it's a toy it ended up sitting for a year or so, and afterward needed some fuel system work, but other than that runs just fine.

He also had a 99 Grand Cherokee (which replaced the 87 Cherokee). Also no major problems, although I'm not a fan of the way this model Grand Cherokee handled.

It was replaced with an 05 Grand Cherokee which handles much more nicely in my opinion and is still running.

My Jeep was an 03 Wrangler that we built up for off-roading, and in doing so ruined it. The suspension we put on was made in California where apparently they've never heard of rust. It was my daily driver in Ohio, and after the first winter most of the undercarriage was rusted together. I can't remember the last time I changed a part under it without having to drill out a bolt. My brother drives it daily now.

Before that, he drove an 02 Cherokee that, again, we ruined with a suspension lift. He wrecked it on the road and insurance totaled it.

Another brother has a 99 Wrangler that he bought already modified, which never sees salt, and is in great condition. He had a few problems with an after-market computer chip, but other than that all the repairs he's made have been due to unfortunate encounters with terrain.

So, in my experience the 4.0L engine is fairly bulletproof, and if you can avoid screwing up the suspension lift they are excellent machines for local driving and off-roading.

Makes for a fun ride.

Nice! I have a hankering to put an LS-? in my 03 TJ, but with the 4.0 running so good, it's hard to find a 'reason' for it (as if there anyone ever needs a 'reason' to wrench on a Jeep).

I had a 1997 Cherokee that I loved. I took it with me to Germany and then sold it there for more than it was worth in the US. I was sorry that the Cherokee model is no longer manufactured, I don't like the new models.

Nice! I have a hankering to put an LS-? in my 03 TJ, but with the 4.0 running so good, it's hard to find a 'reason' for it (as if there anyone ever needs a 'reason' to wrench on a Jeep).

If I had a 4.0 I wouldn't change it. Too many other things to do with your money. In my case the entire drivetrain is new to handle the horsepower.

BTW- IMO the TJ 4.0 with lockers, good tires, and a mild lift as it's only mods, is the most capable off-road vehicle ever built.

If I had a 4.0 I wouldn't change it. Too many other things to do with your money. In my case the entire drivetrain is new to handle the horsepower.

BTW- IMO the TJ 4.0 with lockers, good tires, and a mild lift as it's only mods, is the most capable off-road vehicle ever built.

I'm running 33" BFG KM2's on 4" S4T springs with a Lockright in the front and the factory LSD (i.e. "e-brake locker") in the back. So far it has done pretty much everything I have asked of it, and it plenty capable of going down the interstate at 80+ without any problems.

I'm running 33" BFG KM2's on 4" S4T springs with a Lockright in the front and the factory LSD (i.e. "e-brake locker") in the back. So far it has done pretty much everything I have asked of it, and it plenty capable of going down the interstate at 80+ without any problems.

Exactly what I was talking about. Sounds perfect.

One thing about a front locker, it sure is nice to have a twin stick transfer case shifter or an ARB to just disengage when you need turn radius.

I have a Dana 300 so adding a twin stick is a really easy thing to do.

This 1975 CJ5 is my third Jeep. Actually my forth, but one of them was actually my daughters, even if it was in my name. My first Jeep was a CJ5 and I owned it in the early 80s. It was old then. My second was a 1999 Cherokee Sport with the 4.0 engine. Good Jeep, but I ended up rolling it and the insurance company totaled. it out. This one is a hobby. It keeps me occupied. Reliability is not part of the journey. In fact, there are tow bar mounts on the front bumper just so that my wife can come with my Silverado and tow me home if I break down and can't get it going again. So far, there has been nothing that I couldn't fix on the side of the road or in a parking lot with the tools I carry on board. As I have told many people who ask me about my Jeep, I tell them that it is not the kind of vehicle you want to drive if you don't have time. I have all the time in the world, so it isn't a big deal.

here is mine

Attachments

• DSCN1773.jpg
    DSCN1773.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCN1774.jpg
    DSCN1774.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 11
  • Jeepie.jpg
    Jeepie.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 9
  • DSCN1781.jpg
    DSCN1781.jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 8
  • DSCN2990.JPG
    DSCN2990.JPG
    205.3 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCN3155.JPG
    DSCN3155.JPG
    217 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Nice rigs. I just bought my first Jeep this past summer. Bought a brand new Unlimited Wrangler. I started the search for a decent TJ, but I couldn't find one locally with the 4.0. That was a deal breaker. So, I ended up going to the dealer to buy a traditional 2 door, but that plan was torpedoed when my 6yo daughter had trouble with ingress/egress from the back seat. Another deal breaker. Sooooo, a 4 door it was and I couldn't be happier. Hope I get the years and miles out of mine that you guys have got from yours.

The Carter BBD was a trusty old carb that got hacked by AMC to try to make it emissions compliant. They put an electronic mixture adjustment stepper motor on the back and added six additional idle adjustments.

The last carb I put on is an old non-electronic version. Runs great now, but I'm still considering going with a fuel injection setup.

Sounds like a recipe for trouble. My son had a Ford Bronco II that had an electronic feedback system stuck onto its carb, and that thing never worked right either. Tried to find ways of removing or disabling it without making things worse, but couldn't do it. If it was taken out of the circuit, the rest of the system acted up.

Dan

Back