Which Plane?

Utah-Jay

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jay
So, you get whatever plane you want, but you have to be able to afford it ounce you have it on your current flying budget.

Which plane would you opt for?

Lancair 235 with the rotax turbo and constant speed prop. My girlfriend and I are skinny and like to go places cheap.

So, you get whatever plane you want, but you have to be able to afford it ounce you have it on your current flying budget.

Piper Apache is what I bought, and it's working well on my flying budget. Soon I will be hopefully moving up to an Aztec (mainly the extra seats and increased useful). It will be a little more expensive per mile to fly but otherwise not too much more expensive to maintain. My mission is typically four adults, and I like twins. There's two babies, so in a few years that will turn into 4 adults and two (possibly more) children.

If I don't have to build or buy it, the RV-10 would be the perfect plane for me. Great performance, great track record, and experimental so I could maintain it myself, which would make it even more affordable.

If I don't have to build or buy it, the RV-10 would be the perfect plane for me. Great performance, great track record, and experimental so I could maintain it myself, which would make it even more affordable.

Now there is a pilot that has done his home work. :D

182 with Katmi conversion but without the peterson engine upgrade so I can use the mogas stc with updated panel/autop

Bonanza E225 mogas stc with updated panel/autoP

or

Cherokee with updated panel/autop mogas stc

A new g1000 Meridian, what else would I want.

older model Cessna 180 (4 seats)... maybe a cargo pod. Definitely tundra tires. :yes:

Works for me, but extended baggage provides all the room I need and tundra tires are a WOT around here.

older model Cessna 180 (4 seats)... maybe a cargo pod. Definitely tundra tires. :yes:

That's gonna' have to be one hell of a Turbo...:yikes:

Good luck on your quest!

Chris

Laugh now, you obviously haven't seen how Rudolph's flatulence powers santas sleigh. Serious biofuel breakthroughs are happening up north. Come Christmas I'll have to mount a 914ul because my lease on Rudolph is up dec. 24.

I have to be able to AFFORD it? Waaaaaaah! :(

I guess in that case I'll have to stick to the club. I honestly don't know how much I can truly afford - And that's because I served a five-year stint as the club's treasurer (VP now) and I know how much it costs to maintain even relatively simple fixed-gear four-seaters.

My biggest problem with outright owning would probably be the purchase price, for a plane I could afford to maintain on an ongoing basis - Or the maintenance, for a plane I could afford to purchase. :rofl:

I like to travel, that's my main mission for GA. So, at the minimum, an IFR-equipped bird, with GPS and 2-axis autopilot, that cruises at a bare minimum in the mid-130 knot range. Older birds are easier to buy and harder to maintain, newer birds are harder to buy and a little easier to maintain, at least for now.

I honestly don't think I could afford to outright own an airplane that I'd be happy with right now. Sure, I could easily afford a 172, but I wouldn't be happy with it. Too slow, limiting its usefulness for traveling. I'd love to be able to afford the Mooney I'm flying right now, but as much as I love the saying "You can live in an airplane but you can't fly a house," my lovely fiancée has informed me that I can live in an airplane ALONE. :rofl: So, I guess the money's gotta go for a house first!

I agree. When I build some more time and can get the insurance down a little I'm leaning towards M20J. After flying my uncle's 231 needless to say "I saw the light".

Enjoy your plane in good health!

BTW, I did consider buying the Mooney from my aunt. However, the fixed costs including the loan, insurance, hangar, and annual would come out to over $17,000/year and the variable costs including fuel, $50/hr for maintenance, $27.50/hr for engine and upgrade reserves would come out to $142/hr. If I flew 120 hours/year, that's about $34,300 per year. "Unable." :(

Now, in a 5-way partnership, that'd be down to $20,500ish per year. Do-able, but still on the expensive side. I think I normally spend about $12,000/year or less on flying.

Back