Ammo Prices/Shortages

iRyan

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan
Are you folks having a tough time buying ammo? I usually buy online at Cabela's but their prices went up and my few boxes are on back order. Dick's s the only retail store that has ammo, but their prices are high.

I just shoot 9mm ammo but I wanted to buy an AR-15. Forget that now.

Yea it is really short everywhere right now. Keep looking you can find it but you have to search

Factories here are running 24/7. They can only make so much. Wait 6 months and there will be a surplus again. ;)

Last week a friend showed me his new AR and 47 knockoff under the blankets in the back of his SUV.

"Shot them yet?"

"Nope, can't find any bullets."

Are you folks having a tough time buying ammo? I usually buy online at Cabela's but their prices went up and my few boxes are on back order. Dick's s the only retail store that has ammo, but their prices are high.

I just shoot 9mm ammo but I wanted to buy an AR-15. Forget that now.

I was thinking about reloading, but i am not sure if it is worth it for the 9mm. NJ is just nuts with gun laws, etc.

Glad I stocked up on ammo and reloading supplies before the "election." Not as much as I should of, but the zombie stash is intact!

This reminds me of the primer shortage a few years ago. You couldn't find them anywhere, but 6 months later the shelves were full. Give it time, things will get back to normal.

I was thinking about reloading, but i am not sure if it is worth it for the 9mm. NJ is just nuts with gun laws, etc.

If you want to get into reloading... well you can still get a reloading press but you've long missed the boat on buying components. So forget it.

I think a good proportion of the current panic is people buying things to resell.

I bought a few thousand rounds the past year or so. I didn't know this would happen, but let's say I have enough to last me through the whole resident evil series.

I'm wondering how far this will go.

It still won't solve the primary problem. Wouldn't have stopped any of the school shootings either. Not even a little bit.

Wait a minute....
penalties for people carrying guns near schools
What the heck is that? Is there now some kind of distance around resistance free zones that you're not allowed to have a weapon? I have never heard of that before.

Due to the high price of ammunition, do not expect a warning shot without a donation in advance.

Glad I stocked up on ammo and reloading supplies before the "election." Not as much as I should of, but the zombie stash is intact!

Meh. The zombies already voted!

Everyone should have a good stash of zombie ammunition!

7ype9uza.jpg

Factories here are running 24/7. They can only make so much. Wait 6 months and there will be a surplus again. ;)

Unless you have a current use, just wait and save the money.

We have a temporary increase in demand but it is only because everyone is hoarding.

Last edited:
Meh. The zombies already voted!

Most Obama supports also support gun rights....

There are a very loud very few who don't but don't get too carried away they are about as influential as the super right nutbags on the other side who sometimes talk on Fox. Consider them entertainment only.

Yes Biden is considering what if anything needs to be done to reduce school shootings. I think we all should support such a goal. So lets see what it is. If it doesn't make sense we contact our Representatives and let them know.

Once they get the assault rifle ban back in place they can use an executive order to redefine an assault rifle to be just about anything they want ;)

What the heck is that? Is there now some kind of distance around resistance free zones that you're not allowed to have a weapon? I have never heard of that before.

Many states and localities enhance penalties for gun crimes within a certain distance of schools. If you have the weapon lawfully and do not commit a crime, there is no enhancement, because there is no penalty.

Many states and localities enhance penalties for gun crimes within a certain distance of schools. If you have the weapon lawfully and do not commit a crime, there is no enhancement, because there is no penalty.

Seems to me there was a school shooting incident were a teacher had to run out to his car to get his weapon and then confront the shooter.

Many states and localities enhance penalties for gun crimes within a certain distance of schools.

That explains it. I know of a few gun ranges right across the streets from schools. Heck, my old high school and quite a few others have gun ranges inside them. Granted it's been decades however those ranges were in use daily during school hours.

If you have the weapon lawfully and do not commit a crime, there is no enhancement, because there is no penalty.

Wonderful. That brings it right back to the original problem. People who get harassed or restricted owning guns aren't going to be the ones who go around shooting people in the first place.

Do these lawmakers actually believe that having another law on the books to restrict law the abiding citizens further is going to stop the problem? Are they so detached from reality that they truly think another law on paper will solve the problem? The underlying problem is cultural, not administrative.

Know what my high school principal said when you brought a gun to school?
"New rifle? Did you get your deer yet?"

Half the vehicles parked at the school were pickup trucks with rifles hanging in the back window. Nobody freaked out, nobody got shot. It was a different world back then.

Last edited:
That's easy.... Arm the front desk people at schools and blast the gunman back out the door...:yes::rolleyes2:..

Have that happen once and the nutjobs will think twice....

Archy Bunker, if you think past your cigar fogged idea, you will see that is not the solution for dozens of reasons.

Once they get the assault rifle ban back in place they can use an executive order to redefine an assault rifle to be just about anything they want ;)

Who is they? Polls show 73 or 76% of American's will not support gun controls. We need real solutions not fear mongering.

Of course 100% of Americans do not what our kids shot.

Who is they? Polls show 73 or 76% of American's will not support gun controls. We need real solutions not fear mongering.

Of course 100% of Americans do not what our kids shot.

More than 50% don't want Obamacare either yet you don't see a movement to repeal it by the Democrats.

They is the administration.

That explains it. I know of a few gun ranges right across the streets from schools. Heck, my old high school and quite a few others have gun ranges inside them. Granted it's been decades however those ranges were in use daily during school hours.

Wonderful. That brings it right back to the original problem. People who get harassed or restricted owning guns aren't going to be the ones who go around shooting people in the first place.

You are missing the point. The gun-free zones around schools are enhancers, not actual bans. If you are legally possessing a gun in such a zone nothing happens. If you commit a crime in a gun free zone surrounding the school, you get an enhanced penalty. Like,.., if you are dealing drugs you might get a medium grade misdemeanor, while possessing a gun while dealing drugs might get an entry-level felony.

Archy Bunker, if you think past your cigar fogged idea, you will see that is not the solution for dozens of reasons.

Interesting opinion, considering that it has been working here in Colorado in a number of school districts for years and years since Columbine. :shrug:

Doesn't get much Press because a) the Press isn't interested in what works, they want to sell ads and fuel dissent, and b) the Districts who did it, did it long ago and relatively quietly and sanely before the recent brouhaha of the mob mentality vs. asking professionals and experts how to do things.

As far as ammo goes, I've found some WWB and Blazer Brass for our classes and range time plinking. It's out there. Not great prices but not awful. You do have to hunt for it.

What I can't find is a magazine, not even a magical special no-death non-evil California 10-round version, that comes complete with unicorns and rainbows, for Karen's gun for reload practice and not having to waste range time reloading. Sigh.

I was being polite and keeping my FB and Twitter conversation relatively civil up until my own State's representatives not only penned some of the stupid-ass legislation but co-sponsored it.

There never was any intention to have a reasonable discussion or ask any experts what should he done, even though all the anti-gun folks keep saying that's what they're all about. If they were, they'd be asking their Representatives to stop and think.

So now that there's proposed legislation that has zero basis in fact or science already written and proceeding, I'm no longer being nice about it. These proposed laws are pure Asshattery intended to attack law abiding folk. That's all they are.

Watch how fast this all happens -- and keep it in mind for how fast aviation will be changed. If the system works and the Constitution is upheld, I'll be quite surprised.

When you can't trust your neighbors with firearms, because you don't even know them (name ten neighbors, forst and last names... go...) or anything about guns at all (majority of the commenters online and in the Press), you're probably scared all the time, and hope someone will make you feel better.

Personally, I refuse to live that way.

I watched three drivers TRY to run people clearing fallen ski gear out of a busy intersection an hour ago. I'm not kidding. Run the vehicle up to their ankles and honk at them. Two women, one male. The male ran over some of their gear on purpose. If a cop had seen it, they'd have cited them.

THIS is what's wrong with our society today. Bunch of selfish *******s so self-important they couldn't put their Hazards on, make the intersection safe for their neighbors and fellow Citizens, and WAIT one measly green light cycle for them to pick up their gear. "I'm in a hurry. F--- you and your ski gear all over my road."

I can see why people who live like that and think like that wouldn't trust their neighbors with any weapon.

(Hoplophobia I believe it's called.)

They know they personally have zero self-control, and even less brain cells active just sitting in an automobile, let alone with a weapon in their hands. Don't even ask them about their consumer debt load. Might show how mentally deficient they really are if that were public knowledge...

You are missing the point. The gun-free zones around schools are enhancers, not actual bans.

I'm afraid you are flatly incorrect. In many states, carrying or possessing weapons within a certain distance of schools is prohibited, period (unless you are on your own personal property within the "bubble", and that was only won after lawsuits).
That you are thinking of is the enhancements for selling or possessing drugs within X many feet of a school.

The federal gun-free-zone law was a flat prohibition, not an enhancer, but was struck down as an excessive reach of commerce clause power.

Feel free to provide us a few....seems to me it would be quite effective. He didn't say the "Front desk people" couldn't be a plain clothed off-duty cop.

Ryan its probably 30 or 40 minutes from you but have you tried Harry's Army Navy on Rt 130 just south of 195?

Adam,

i think i pass that store going to upenn. i will have to check it out. thanks.

I'm a little upset because I've been wanting to buy a scar16 or fs2000 and now everyone is price gouging and trying to sell for 3x the normal cost. Guess I'll just have to wait it out and hope they don't get banned.

I hear .223 is hard to come by. I use 7.62X54R match and it's usually expensive but rarely hard to find. In a pinch, I can use 7.62X41, 39 or 43 which is NATO. We will NEVER run out of that stuff.

Back