G1000 PFD Failure

douglas393

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
douglas
Was supposed to do a cross country IFR today. Did my usual preflight check. Switched Standby switch to TEST, Held 20 seconds, Green LED stayed bright. Switched to ARM and waited and no PFD. Tried sequence a second time and same results. Then I turned on my MASTER, and still no PFD. Heard the Hobbs clicking, and tested . Tested avionics switch and both fans were audible. The MFD came on but in revisionary mode. At that point scrubbed flight, call mechanic. He asked me if I could start engine, and I said had not tried, and after discussing the pros and cons decided to try. Engine started without problems, but still no PFD. Any thoughts.

Doug

Well, your PFD has failed. Could be something as simple as a loose connection, or worse.

You'd need to consult the AFM to be certain, but I'm 99.9% certain that the PFD is required for all operations so you either need to fix it where it is or get a ferry permit to take it somewhere for repair.

Edit: Now that I've looked up at least one airplane, I'm revising my 99.9% certainty. Just RTFM and act accordingly.

Last edited:
Well, your PFD has failed. Could be something as simple as a loose connection, or worse.

You'd need to consult the AFM to be certain, but I'm 99.9% certain that the PFD is required for all operations so you either need to fix it where it is or get a ferry permit to take it somewhere for repair.

If the MFD comes up with the required engine instrumentation, why would the PFD/Ferry permit be required Day VFR?

If the MFD comes up with the required engine instrumentation, why would the PFD/Ferry permit be required Day VFR?

It would if the AFM says the PFD and MFD are both required. That's why I said the AFM would have to be consulted. I just looked at a 182 PIM and that chart (in the limitations section) and as I read it, it's ok with a PFD OR MFD for day VFR. For night VFR and day/night IFR, both displays must have their backlighting working.

It will all depend on what the limitations section for that airplane says. I was pleasantly surprised by what I read in the PIM.

It would if the AFM says the PFD and MFD are both required. That's why I said the AFM would have to be consulted. I just looked at a 182 PIM and that chart (in the limitations section) and as I read it, it's ok with a PFD OR MFD for day VFR. For night VFR and day/night IFR, both displays must have their backlighting working.

It will all depend on what the limitations section for that airplane says. I was pleasantly surprised by what I read in the PIM.

pretty much what I would expect given the rules.

If the G1000 is similar in concept to my Aspen PFD/MFD you should be able to fly VFR with the MFD reversion engaged. On the Aspen units, the reversion typically will happen when the flight sensors have failed, a pitot/static problem exists or there is an internal problem with the unit.

It was brought across the field to my mechanic so flying is not an issue, nor after it failed did I intend to fly, though if I was not at my home airport probably would have flown it home depending on conditions. Knew it was okay for VFR, and if it failed in IFR getting to the ground would be a priority, but not real difficult. In fact PFD failure was part of IFR checkride. For all intensive purposes, all you lose is your moving map with it associated data, XM radios,metars, etc. You also lose one radio, and VOR. You still have your HSI and a small moving map in the inset. The plane is due for annual so so far I am only losing out on flying this weekend, but time will tell.

Good question. Did not think about it. Would it happening on the ground during my preflight make any difference. If it does need to be report, how long do I have?

Doug

Good question. Did not think about it. Would it happening on the ground during my preflight make any difference. If it does need to be report, how long do I have?

Good questions. Pre-flight is probably not considered flight since the aircraft hasn't moved yet under its own power.

I believe the typical reporting period for mandatory accident items is ten days, but I can't find a limit on incident items.

First thing I checked. Breaker okay(though maybe its a bad breaker), hope the solution is cheaper.

To be sure, have your mechanic swap them...then you KNOW the deal...if you get near a Cessna Service Center, they should have PFD/MFD on the shelf...IIRC they were identical part numbers in my 182.

I'm sure you have done this but make sure the totally obvious is ruled out by toggling the red reversionary button and make sure it is not accidentally pressed. Also if you were not the last person to fly it check that someone did not dim the screen all the way to simulate failure.

I'm sure you have done this but make sure the totally obvious is ruled out by toggling the red reversionary button and make sure it is not accidentally pressed. Also if you were not the last person to fly it check that someone did not dim the screen all the way to simulate failure.
Did that. No fix. AM only one who flies plane, and also check dimming switch so not the issue. Furthermore, the MFD automatically goes into revisionary mode and does not see the primary so if it was dimmed this should not happen. My best guess is the PFD is not getting juice, the question at this point is why?

Doug

It is real easy to swap PFD/MFD to see if the failure swaps and confirm the PFD failure. There is typically a flat exchange from Garmin on a PFD at about $1100, plus labor & freight. How many hours did you have on yours?

I had a similar problem. With the unit turn off remove and reinsert the data base cards. Did anyone did a data base update. If the card is not properly program or recently expired the unit may not boot up the first time. I also found this problem at -20F temps. Because the G1000 avionics are in the tail cone it gets very cold at altitude (-40F@FL200) and you loose COM. Pull the fan CB to allow the unit to warm up.

José

It is real easy to swap PFD/MFD to see if the failure swaps and confirm the PFD failure. There is typically a flat exchange from Garmin on a PFD at about $1100, plus labor & freight. How many hours did you have on yours?
1300 hours

I had a similar problem. With the unit turn off remove and reinsert the data base cards. Did anyone did a data base update. If the card is not properly program or recently expired the unit may not boot up the first time. I also found this problem at -20F temps. Because the G1000 avionics are in the tail cone it gets very cold at altitude (-40F@FL200) and you loose COM. Pull the fan CB to allow the unit to warm up.

José
In fact, I just did update the cards, though updated both, only the PFD was updated with the Jeppesen. I am in Southwest Florida, and it was cold during the night but still above freezing, about 5c or so last nite.

I did have what appears to be the same problem. Turn on the standby battery - PFD = Blank; turn on the master - PFD = Blank. Swapped PFD/MFD, then turned on master and avionics - PFD = normal boot and MFD blank.

Got a new PFD. Everything now works like normal, except that I noticed that the new PFD stays illuminated much longer than the old one. Garmin must have added some bigger power capacitors on new overhauled units...

I did have what appears to be the same problem. Turn on the standby battery - PFD = Blank; turn on the master - PFD = Blank. Swapped PFD/MFD, then turned on master and avionics - PFD = normal boot and MFD blank.

Got a new PFD. Everything now works like normal, except that I noticed that the new PFD stays illuminated much longer than the old one. Garmin must have added some bigger power capacitors on new overhauled units...
My gut tells me this is where I am head...I hope not. Will see what happens tomorrow. Thanks.

Doug

Mine had less than about 500 hours on it. I think it is specified for MTBF at 10,000 hours. But, I am beginning to have doubts about that...:(
Why am I not surprised?

Mine had less than about 500 hours on it. I think it is specified for MTBF at 10,000 hours. But, I am beginning to have doubts about that...:(
Somebody's got to fill in the left side of the bathtub.:(

Somebody's got to fill in the left side of the bathtub.:(

That's right, but the good news is that you are now "guaranteed" the next unit will have to last 19,500 hours (since the MTBF is 10,000 hrs).

Back