1960 C172A "ram horn" yoke

rbhankins001

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Rob
Hello All,

My good friend has a great flying Cessna 172A (1960). He would like to switch to a "ram horn" yoke with a PTT switch integrated into it, as well as a thumb rest.

So what does this entail?

How to go about it, the options, costs etc (as well as any FAA mandates lol).

Thanks

-Rob

Hello All,

My good friend has a great flying Cessna 172A (1960). He would like to switch to a "ram horn" yoke with a PTT switch integrated into it, as well as a thumb rest.

So what does this entail?

How to go about it, the options, costs etc (as well as any FAA mandates lol).

Thanks

-Rob

If they physically will exchange, I bet you can just install the late model 172 yokes on the Type Certificate with a logbook entry.

If they physically will exchange, I bet you can just install the late model 172 yokes on the Type Certificate with a logbook entry.

IIRC Piper created "Service Letters" that authorized this very thing on the PA28s, I believe the "Log book entry" requires a reference to the SL?

I believe it is avion who makes a kit for this plane and many others with stc for it. Takes bout hour to install. Have them in my 172a. They are kinda spends though.

Not my money but I'll ask how much is spendy (IFTFY) in this regard?

Thanks everyone!

-Rob

Not my money but I'll ask how much is spendy (IFTFY) in this regard?

Thanks everyone!

-Rob

My Wild Ass Guess is that, if you find a salvage yard pair and spend the time and paperwork to get them installed, figure 500-1000 or so. The aftermarket ones, I've seen run in the 1500-2,000 range.

If they physically will exchange,
they will, check with your cessna dealer, I believe there is a upgrade kit, get the number and order it, and then it can be completed as a minor alteration and a log book entry.

My Wild Ass Guess is that, if you find a salvage yard pair and spend the time and paperwork to get them installed, figure 500-1000 or so. The aftermarket ones, I've seen run in the 1500-2,000 range.

Geesh! Isn't a yoke just a hunk 'o plastic with a hollow metal tube hanging off the end? How ridiculous.

Looked it up. It's avion research. They are $1250.00 for the set. Options available like ptt switches . They install very nice. I have them in 172a and like them and have seriously been thinking of putting them on the 205.

Back