Cheap Flight Training.

Good Grief!! And we wonder why we don't have more youth in aviation?

Kid comes on here motivated to fly, and with the exception of about five useful posts all he gets is flack. He gets heckled about his age of graduation, his crappy job, his father, and his financial situation.

Would you feel welcomed into aviation with that attitude?

Reminds me of myself. I sure as hell wasn't debt free when I started flying around his age. And I found the cheapest flight school around.
Probably the best investment I've ever made.

Plus, the best pilots learn the youngest.

It's not about discouraging anybody. I was 18 when I got my PPL and did it in one sitting over the summer of my sophomore year in college. It wasn't until 4 years later and working a similarly crappy job as the OP (as a side job, not my full time occupation) that I funded my instrument ticket and commercial training. It can be done. But the OP is looking for a freebie answer and I'm afraid one doesn't exist shy of having dad pay for it. The fact is no buck, no buck rogers.

Look, if I worked at Sonic past the age I would be receiving a college degree or a vocational certification, I wouldn't be able to own an airplane 13 years later. No amount of passion or waiting for the charity of others would have done that for me, for what amounts to a recreational pursuit no less. Come on now.

My plan was simple back then and it still holds true today. get your ducks in order so as to amass x,xxx before assigning a time period with which to accomplish one's flight training in the least interrupted way possible, which will yield the most efficient way (cheapest) to finish the certificate. Once you get to that point, the DFW area is replete with options. This whole "they don't like me/there's "situations" at xyz airport" sounds sophomoric and not really relevant nor endemic to the discussion of getting from point A to point B of getting a license, but it does speak to the maturity level of the applicant.

Things cost quite a bit more than they did in the year 2000, but it's doable. I'd say $5-6000 is a good goal today, if one researches the part 61 scene aggressively. It may also mean that it's gonna take a little while to get the cash. Those who want it bad will get creative and formulate an economic plan and the fiscal discipline to stay on track. That may hurt a little, *gasp*.

Good luck, but the OP should get his vocational direction in order before postulating about what in the end is a recreational expenditure. Otherwise he'd be pursuing it formally or professionally and at a lot bigger cost.

The only problem with the cub is that it is not insured for students. That would cost me alot extra. I found a guy on here that only would charge me $45 an hour but I would have to supply the airplane. And that is the main problem.

If you can get your dad's cub you are two-thirds of the way there. With a graciously provided C-150 I taught my 18 yo son to fly in about five weeks for less than $1,500 out of pocket (including a couple of upgrades to the plane.) If you don't find a CFI here, check the NAFI website or talk to local FSDO for possible leads.

You CAN do this! Go for it.

The only problem with the cub is that it is not insured for students. That would cost me alot extra. I found a guy on here that only would charge me $45 an hour but I would have to supply the airplane. And that is the main problem.

Believe it or not, when we added my son as a student on the C-150 policy, it bumped the cost by less than $100 annually, then they prorated that since we were less than two months to policy renewal. We ultimately paid something like $15 to add him to the policy for training, and by the time the renewal came up he was a licensed pilot and didn't impact it at all for the following year.

The Cub may be higher due to the tailwheel, but I bet it wouldn't be dramatic since the insurance company knows you'll be under the watchful eye of a CFI until he's satisfied you've mastered the basics.

It's worth checking out.

Believe it or not, when we added my son as a student on the C-150 policy, it bumped the cost by less than $100 annually, then they prorated that since we were less than two months to policy renewal. We ultimately paid something like $15 to add him to the policy for training, and by the time the renewal came up he was a licensed pilot and didn't impact it at all for the following year.

The Cub may be higher due to the tailwheel, but I bet it wouldn't be dramatic since the insurance company knows you'll be under the watchful eye of a CFI until he's satisfied you've mastered the basics.

It's worth checking out.

Its worth checking out, but in order for me get added to a j-3 policy it was a bunch of extra money, 20 hours of restrictions (10 dual, 10 solo) and at that time I had 250hrs IR and 10 hours of tailwheel time plus an endorsement.

Still if the best deal you can find is $188 an hour its worth checking out. If you can get a 150/152 though you'll do much better. $100/hr buys 152+ instructor at my home field.

I generally don't let insurance costs/benefits drive decisions. If you are over 18, and are the operator of the plane, your father might be limited in his liability. If not fully limited, he could be made fully limited by transferring the ownership to you while you train. Insurance is not a requirement for operating or even owning an aircraft. You would be operating primarily out of a private field, mostly over sparsely inhabited terrain for much of your training, in a plane that weighs 1300Lbs fully loaded. Since you have little or no assets, this is the ideal situation for flying around uninsured. If the instructor has insurance, ask if that will cover you and the plane while he is giving instruction.

Insurance problems can be worked out. They are often used as an excuse to not do things you want to do. I commend that you have insurance(or other financial arrangements) on your car, because it's state law. No such law exists for aircraft operation.

I could possibly talk to him about that. Now, how would you possibly over come the problem that he doesn't want anyone else to fly his airplane? except for me since I am his son. I am talking about my CFI. He doesn't even know him but I am thinking that I could get them two together and he could go flying in it with my dad so he could see how good of a pilot he is and or feels comfortable with him flying his airplane. What do you think?

If my kid or grandkid approached me with a well-researched market study of comparable costs and well-conceived plan for using my plane for training, I would consider it seriously. Just sayin'.

I could possibly talk to him about that. Now, how would you possibly over come the problem that he doesn't want anyone else to fly his airplane? except for me since I am his son. I am talking about my CFI. He doesn't even know him but I am thinking that I could get them two together and he could go flying in it with my dad so he could see how good of a pilot he is and or feels comfortable with him flying his airplane. What do you think?

If my kid or grandkid approached me with a well-researched market study of comparable costs and well-conceived plan for using my plane for training, I would consider it seriously. Just sayin'.

Yep +1

Agree with previous posters....let your Dad do some "instructing" for your CFI to get him comfortable that he'll treat your Dad's "baby" with kit gloves. Every plane has it's nuances (especially the older they get), so that will be a good opportunity for your CFI to learn those. Then you'll be off and running. Frankly, it's the ideal setup....you'll be a much better pilot learning in the Cub than in a C-150....and I LOVE the 150! But a tailwheel pilot can fly a trike....but not the other way around.

Hi!
Cobra-What U mean with this:

BTW, I give free flight lessons. All my students have to do is rent the aircraft, but I’m in NJ.

I'm Foreigner and want to obtain PPL but don't know where and how mach will cost me.I check many forums and web sites bud did not see anywhere "Free lessons"..different prices-yes
How mach exactly will cost me PPL in Your school and how long it will takes?As I said I'm not US citizen and I have to find accommodation for dissent price for the duration of the school....also do U issue a Visa(I think I'll need it...many questions I know:)
NJ-New Jersey?I'm in New York right now
I need basic direction what i have to do in order to get PPL:wink2:
Thank U

Last edited:
Back