I flew a helicopter - and LIVED!

Teller1900

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
I am a dad!
The video proof:

The story:
This past summer someone on here pointed out a deal on TravelZoo for 50% off a helicopter discovery flight here in Denver. My wife, the wonderful woman she is, noticed that I had the webpage open for about a week and asked if I wanted it for my birthday.

I've been sitting on the coupon for this flight since April. Between work and the kid, and the fact that they were booked 3 months in advance (they expected to sell ~150 rides; they sold 680+), I hadn't gotten around to scheduling it. As many of you know, conditions at work have...changed, so I suddenly found myself with some free time. So I finally got around to making the call.

This past Monday I went out to TYJ Global (formerly Rotors of the Rockies) at KBJC.

It was a cool but clear fall afternoon. The sun was quickly retreating toward it's home behind the mountains making for some long shadows across the ramp. It was jacket weather outside, but very comfortable inside the bubble that is the R44.

We did the Robinson SFAR training, started up, and taxied out to runway 2. As we approached the hold short line the instructor, Raymond, gave me first clue as to what I had coming for me. "So, fixed wing guy, you know I'm going to have to mess with you, right?"

Every helicopter pilot I have ever ridden with has said those words to me. I don't mind, though, as it usually ends with something fun that my airplane definitely can't do.

We were hovering over the 20 numbers, cleared to take off runway 2. I assumed we'd just pull pitch and head straight out. Nope. Ray had something else in mind. We ran down the runway, backward, for about 2000 feet, while our shadow chased close behind. About half way down the runway he kicked the tail around a full 360 degrees, to end up facing the right way again. A quick run down runway 2, this time forward, and we were off.

We spent about 15 minutes flying around the area. It was a crystal clear afternoon, with winds fairly light out of the northeast. The air was perfectly smooth, with a few tall lenticulars over the mountains just to make it a little more picturesque. We did some steep turns, followed roads, a bit of hovering at altitude, and checked out a maze in a farm field. He had me flying the whole time.

We came back to BJC on the "Charlie 2" arrival. Tower had no traffic for runway 2, so they let us have it for hover work.

I will say, hovering is one of the toughest, most fun, and most humbling things I've done in an aircraft! It took several iterations of "smaller correc...no, the other way...steady....no, the other way...lets stay away from the edge lights," but I finially got it! I had a solid three minutes of hovering before our time ran out. He even let me (hover) taxi back in to the parking spot!

The R44 is a great little ride. With about 900 lbs usable, a surprisingly large cabin, coupled with a very smooth running flat 6, cleaver belt drive clutch system, and a high inertia rotor system that made the auto-rotation demo seem fairly mundane, it's a perfect trainer/personal use helicopter (for the rich). The one gotcha it has are the hydraulic flight controls. The collective gives you a fair bit of wiggle room, and the pedals aren't terrible, but the cyclic is easily the touchiest flight control system I have ever flown.

Being smooth on the cyclic at 4 feet is even tougher than trying to hold altitude at FL410. Once you learn to hold the stick with only 2-3 fingers, keep your arm on your knee, and keep your movements to less than the width of a dime (no joke, that's all the more it takes) it handles brilliantly.

Those of you who haven't tried a helicopter yet really should! I'll warn you, though, it's highly addictive.

Denver and mountain west folks, I would recommend Rotors of the Rockies, as well - ask for Raymond.

Congrats. He should've demo'd an auto for ya. After 4,000 hrs I still haven't gotten the hover down yet.:) it usually takes a few hours to be able to hover it smoothly. You are correct, they are about the most responsive aircraft out there. I fly with my thumb and two fingers lightly gripping the cyclic. Turns require about 1/4 " of movement.

We've got an R-44 up here in North Ga. I plan on buying a ride for my brother when he comes out in a few months. Gonna show him what real flying is all about!:wink2:

I will say, hovering is one of the toughest, most fun, and most humbling things I've done in an aircraft!

Just as landing in a fixed wing seems to students. But once you get the feel it is just another maneuver. I will admit however that doing it at night in rain and wind trying to hold station over a rolling boat adds a certain degree of difficulty. :yes:

Very cool! I did an R44 flight in 2007. I think my favorite part was the startup, as the rotor started turning and the grass started blowing around. That's when I got a rush. It was in FL at Lakeland. We had the doors off which made it more exciting. I remember being fascinated watching the cows in the fields below. The instructor said the cows were so used to him and students doing auto's there, they're used to the particular sound so they step back and watch.

It is. The only reason I didn't continue was the cost. So I took fixed wing training with the intention of getting the helicopter add-on later....

It is. The only reason I didn't continue was the cost. So I took fixed wing training with the intention of getting the helicopter add-on later....
But now you have all those nasty fixed-wing habits...

I've spent some time in a 269A, and really didn't quite get the helicopter thing. Spend a lot of money to go nowhere. I enjoyed the lesson my wife gave me a great deal (even managed to make me kinda hover... oh wait there's a building), but figured I'd stick to my twin addiction.

Then I got to ride in the S-92 with my wife. Spend a whole ton of money to go nowhere and burn 200 gph doing it. Now this is my kind of ride! Plus the full FMS, FIKI, and twin turboshafts make me drool.

Ok, I'd want my rotorcraft rating if it meant I could fly one of those. :)

The funny thing is that after your intro flight you just can't stop thinking about helicopters. And you find yourself at the Robinson website, and controller checking out the ones for sale...

Those of you who haven't tried a helicopter yet really should! I'll warn you, though, it's highly addictive.

I concur. I instruct around them every day and grab a flight every chance I get. Definitely on my "wish" list when the lottery finally pays off.

Back in a previous corporate life I seriously looked into an R22 for commuting. A fantasy of taking off from my beach and landing in the corporate backlot, thereby saving an hour of commuting time (not to mention making it a heck of a lot more fun!) was quickly shattered when the insurance company said insurance would start at $6K a year provided I never carried a passenger! $500/mo for insurance on top of gas and operating expenses would have made it a pretty spendy commute.

Just as landing in a fixed wing seems to students. But once you get the feel it is just another maneuver. I will admit however that doing it at night in rain and wind trying to hold station over a rolling boat adds a certain degree of difficulty. :yes:

Being a fan of Deadliest Catch, those who can do that have my never-ending admiration and respect.

Congrats. He should've demo'd an auto for ya. After 4,000 hrs I still haven't gotten the hover down yet.:) it usually takes a few hours to be able to hover it smoothly. You are correct, they are about the most responsive aircraft out there. I fly with my thumb and two fingers lightly gripping the cyclic. Turns require about 1/4 " of movement.

We've got an R-44 up here in North Ga. I plan on buying a ride for my brother when he comes out in a few months. Gonna show him what real flying is all about!:wink2:

We did one auto. Not full down, but enough to get a feel for it. Honestly I think the Robinson was better composed during it than the ENG Jetranger I used to back seat in. Then again maybe it's just because I'm older now and have scared myself in airplanes enough that it's not as eye opening any more.

Hey, if your brother doesn't want the ride, you can buy me another one! :yes:

:rofl: Yeah, we didn't quite get to that lesson.

We had the doors off which made it more exciting.
That was the one unfortunate part. Had it been a month ago, I'm sure we would have too. Just a little too cold for it now.

Same reason I'm not actively taking helo lessons right now! Wayyyy to expensive.

I've spent some time in a 269A, and really didn't quite get the helicopter thing. Spend a lot of money to go nowhere. I enjoyed the lesson my wife gave me a great deal (even managed to make me kinda hover... oh wait there's a building), but figured I'd stick to my twin addiction.

Then I got to ride in the S-92 with my wife. Spend a whole ton of money to go nowhere and burn 200 gph doing it. Now this is my kind of ride! Plus the full FMS, FIKI, and twin turboshafts make me drool.

Ok, I'd want my rotorcraft rating if it meant I could fly one of those. :)
:rofl: Somehow that doesn't surprise me. Ted is unimpressed by the simple "economical" version and wants the uber twin version. Where have I heard that story before? :lol:

The funny thing is that after your intro flight you just can't stop thinking about helicopters. And you find yourself at the Robinson website, and controller checking out the ones for sale...
How did you get a look at my internet search history???

Hey, if you're buying, I'll fly it! You have to pay for gas and insurance, too, though. And food. :D

Here's my previous rotor ride:
Chopper13.JPG

Back in a previous corporate life I seriously looked into an R22 for commuting. A fantasy of taking off from my beach and landing in the corporate backlot, thereby saving an hour of commuting time (not to mention making it a heck of a lot more fun!) was quickly shattered when the insurance company said insurance would start at $6K a year provided I never carried a passenger! $500/mo for insurance on top of gas and operating expenses would have made it a pretty spendy commute.

Ouch. Yeah, that's tough to justify.

I have thought about that, too. There was a guy in Virginia Beach who used an R44 for just that. He landed it in a field right behind his office. First time I saw it disappear behind the trees as I was pulling into the mall was a little weird. Also had a Cessna 210 and Lear 40 in his hangar at Chesapeake, so I think he was probably in a tax bracket slightly above me.

:rofl: Somehow that doesn't surprise me. Ted is unimpressed by the simple "economical" version and wants the uber twin version. Where have I heard that story before? :lol:

What can I say? At least I'm consistent! :D

I also bought the Travelzoo flight. Thank you very much for the report. I was wondering how the flight would be. I am scheduled for 1:00 on Den 8. I am looking forward to it.

What can I say? At least I'm consistent! :D
Credit where credit's due!

I also bought the Travelzoo flight. Thank you very much for the report. I was wondering how the flight would be. I am scheduled for 1:00 on Den 8. I am looking forward to it.
You'll love it. They'll tailor the flight to be whatever you want, but I would certainly recommend flying. You'll have to post a review/pictures when you get back (or a week later, like I did).

I have thought about that, too. There was a guy in Virginia Beach who used an R44 for just that. He landed it in a field right behind his office. First time I saw it disappear behind the trees as I was pulling into the mall was a little weird. Also had a Cessna 210 and Lear 40 in his hangar at Chesapeake, so I think he was probably in a tax bracket slightly above me.
That's a cool ride. We have an R-44 at Clow and I've avoided a ride in it, because I may become addicted!

Met a guy who commuted from his home (he had his own runway -- IL68) to his office in NW Indiana in his jet ranger. Nice bird!

If you need something to do, just bring everyone to SFO area for a getaway. You can fly my little plane again, like before, but this time just say "Skyhawk" and maybe they'll clear us into the Bravo at 10pm on a Tuesday instead of making us stay clear!

Also, I found out what we did wrong. There are taxiways / parking way on the other side and there were open restauraunts that night for the three of us. I just didn't know the airport.

Congrats on the flight!!--)) Now you too have the addiction--)). If you really want to see what sensitive is re the cyclic, try to R44's smaller cousin, the R22...--)))

That's a cool ride. We have an R-44 at Clow and I've avoided a ride in it, because I may become addicted!

Met a guy who commuted from his home (he had his own runway -- IL68) to his office in NW Indiana in his jet ranger. Nice bird!
That's a lot of helicopter for a daily commuter!

If you need something to do, just bring everyone to SFO area for a getaway. You can fly my little plane again, like before, but this time just say "Skyhawk" and maybe they'll clear us into the Bravo at 10pm on a Tuesday instead of making us stay clear!

Also, I found out what we did wrong. There are taxiways / parking way on the other side and there were open restaurants that night for the three of us. I just didn't know the airport.
:rofl: Woops. I thought it strange that the whole place was shut down so early. Next time.

I'd love to bring them out, but along with the extra time off works come a sudden and noticeable dearth of money. Once we get all settled back in we really want to take a grand-California trip, so I'm sure the Bay area will be on the list! No guarantees on ever getting the callsign right, though!

Very cool. I once had an opportunity to fly our department helicopter. I wrote it up here:

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42905

It was a great day and even my first entry in my log book. I know how you were feeling.

Great write up; sounds like you had a heck of a time! What a first helicopter to get to fly, too.

Not too terribly uncommon for people who need them. I remember we once talked about an R44 pilot who used it as his daily commuter in middle of nowhere, Canada. He wasn't happy when it threw a cylinder over the woods.

I got started on the helicopter kick because a friend used to tease me about commuting to work from my backyard. Then he bought me a "learn to fly helicopters" video. I'll admit that I took the intro ride on my own...

"I flew a helicopter - and started to LIVE!"

..is that what you mean ta say?

Not too terribly uncommon for people who need them. I remember we once talked about an R44 pilot who used it as his daily commuter in middle of nowhere, Canada. He wasn't happy when it threw a cylinder over the woods.

Well, he and his wife had at least four planes in the hanger, too, including a Cub, his and her WWII trainers (IIRC), and a Grumman (Goose?). I did a post a few years back about flying into their strip. She was a former wing-walker and was later "questioned" by the Secret Service after she busted a VIP TFR in Chicago in the Cub.

I just caught up to this thread Teller. Cooooool!

Why did Rotors go changing their great name to three letters plus "global". Bad marketing. No donut. The other name was perfect. Oh well.

Kinda want to try this and kinda not. I'd end up hooked, I'm sure. Can't afford that toy.

Well, he and his wife had at least four planes in the hanger, too, including a Cub, his and her WWII trainers (IIRC), and a Grumman (Goose?). I did a post a few years back about flying into their strip. She was a former wing-walker and was later "questioned" by the Secret Service after she busted a VIP TFR in Chicago in the Cub.

Ahhhh yes, I remember that now! I'd bet he's one of the only people in the country who wakes up looking forward to his daily commute.

I just caught up to this thread Teller. Cooooool!

Why did Rotors go changing their great name to three letters plus "global". Bad marketing. No donut. The other name was perfect. Oh well.

Kinda want to try this and kinda not. I'd end up hooked, I'm sure. Can't afford that toy.

They used to be Rotors of the Rockies (RotR <--did'ya catch that bit of cleaverness?), wholly owned by a guy and his wife. Then they sold part of the business to some investors. Several years later, they wanted to ditch the investors and go back to personally owning their business. As part of the restructuring, they had to change the name. How they came up with TYJ Global is beyond me (or why they didn't just make it Rotors over the Rockies, or something similar)! But that's how it came to be.

They also got rid of all their Schweizer/Sikorsky helicopters (except for one turbine 333) and now do all primary training in R44s. But that was for reasons unrelated to the name change.

You should do it anyways, Nate. Just fly your plane from APA to BJC to pick up the helicopter. It's the ultimate GA outting!

If you only fly the R44 for .7. It books at $500/hr alone!

Man, that's crazy. Now way an R-44's operating costs are anyway near that. Our 407 costs about $400 per hour to operate (indirect and direct). A lot of these flight schools are cranking up the prices because the GI Bill pays 10 grand per year for flight training. Tuition assistance paid for my IFR ticket and the flight school charged a fortune because they new the military guys would be coming.

Back