New "Flight" movie with Denzel Washington

I wish he would have stopped drinking and flown his 172 around the country or something. That poor airplane got abandoned for some booze.

I wish he would have stopped drinking and flown his 172 around the country or something. That poor airplane got abandoned for some booze.

I saw it last night and enjoyed it. Sure, overplayed the booze/drugs part a bit and we never got to see the 172 get off the ground, but my SO and I enjoyed the movie. John Goodman's role seemed to fit him well...

Every time I read the transcript from the CVR from that one, it truly brings tears to my eyes. They never, ever, stopped fighting to live, to save their passengers.

The really sad part about Alaska 261 is that if they had stopped trying to fix the problem earlier, they might well have been able to land it -- of course the crew didn't know that.

A quick recap for those who aren't familiar, ASA261 was a MD-80 that had the horizontal stabilizer become uncoupled from the mechanical linkage (due to a nut getting the threads stripped out). Remarkably, however, the stabilizer didn't move to the far end of it's travel immediately, instead the striped out threads bound up and the stabilizer was frozen in a moderate nose down attitude. The crew thought it was a stuck trim motor, so they kept trying to get the trim motor to turn. The NTSB eventually concluded that trim motor had enough torque to clear the jam, which then allowed the stabilizer to slam against the mechanical stops (and then through them), making the plane completely uncontrollable. However, on the way down, they temporarily managed to get control of the plane while it was inverted.

Last edited:
Just watched it this evening from the Video store. Was pretty good. Enjoyable 2 hours on a Saturday evening :)

I watched it a few weeks ago. It was a movie about alcoholism, not a movie about flying, IMO.

I saw it last night and enjoyed it. Sure, overplayed the booze/drugs part a bit and we never got to see the 172 get off the ground, but my SO and I enjoyed the movie. John Goodman's role seemed to fit him well...

Yeah, I thought John Goodman stole the show. Very convincing as the free spirited enabler.

I thought it was well done. It's really more of a character study...and it's done in a believable way. Of course, don't expect the flying to be represented realistically. That'll only happen when flying movies are made by pilots FOR pilots...not a great business plan. ;) But only the beginning scenes involve flying, and has been mentioned, it's incidental. It's not an action flying flick. If you wanna see a bunch of awful flying CGI, you can rent 'Fly Boys'.

Last edited:
We watched it a few weeks ago. Definitely not a flying movie, and Denzel didn't nearly hit the rock bottom necessary to stop lying that real alcoholics usually do, having known far too many. But Goodman's character was almost too well done.

"I'm on the list."

Casting was good for the other characters also.

An enjoyable rental.

An enjoyable rental.

It was a well done movie, but enjoyable would not be my choice of adjective.

Maybe after 20 years in law enforcement, it was too much like being at work.

Can understand that sentiment. It reminded me a little too much at times of a couple of slightly removed relatives. One alive still, the others dead.

I haven't seen it. As an airline pilot, I'm not in a hurry to see another drunk, womanizer pilot movie.

I prefer "The Pilot" starring Cliff Robertson.

I just had a lady thank us after the flight for not being drunk. I had to bite my tongue and not say anything. I really wanted to say, "What makes you think I wasn't drunk?" My sense of humor could get me into trouble. ;)

I'll see Flight on Netflix someday.

Some folks sent me background info on Robertson after I posted that clip to FB of the movie trailer. Never seen the movie, nor knew anything about him.

Apparently owned a Spitfire, and really was a pilot.

Also apparently was a drunk and a womanizer, ironically, for this thread.

Just thought it was interesting. Doing a movie about a drunk pilot when you are one, is pretty ballsy...

Of course, don't expect the flying to be represented realistically. That'll only happen when flying movies are made by pilots FOR pilots...not a great business plan. ;) But only the beginning scenes involve flying, and has been mentioned, it's incidental. It's not an action flying flick. If you wanna see a bunch of awful flying CGI, you can rent 'Fly Boys'.

Fly Boys wasn't that bad in its CGI. You want to see a bunch of awful flying CGI, get "Red Tails." That was truly horrible.

Some folks sent me background info on Robertson after I posted that clip to FB of the movie trailer. Never seen the movie, nor knew anything about him.

Apparently owned a Spitfire, and really was a pilot.

Also apparently was a drunk and a womanizer, ironically, for this thread.

Just thought it was interesting. Doing a movie about a drunk pilot when you are one, is pretty ballsy...
He was probably from the old school and didn't think twice about it.

I haven't seen it. As an airline pilot, I'm not in a hurry to see another drunk, womanizer pilot movie.

I prefer "The Pilot" starring Cliff Robertson.

I just had a lady thank us after the flight for not being drunk. I had to bite my tongue and not say anything. I really wanted to say, "What makes you think I wasn't drunk?" My sense of humor could get me into trouble. ;)

I'll see Flight on Netflix someday.

Worth seeing but it is not particularly about flying airplanes or pilots. It is a movie about addiction and bad life choices and possible redemption. Well done movie.

Come on now, it was actually a pretty good movie. I didn't see the ending coming the way it did - that was pretty crazy.

IMHO though, if the stabilizer really decoupled the way it did, wouldn't going inverted have just turned the plane upside down and still diving uncontrollably?

Back