Gleim Instrument book

ScottK

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
ScottK
Is this book a teaching book or simply a practice test study guide? I haven't seen one up close so I'm not sure what it's about.

http://www.pilotmall.com/product/Gle...ufactuer-Gleim

I used the Jeppesen book and study guide for PPL ground school and liked it, but it's anothe $100+ to get the instrument version.

The Gleim knowledge test book is mainly just exam prep. It's fine for that purpose, but you'll also need another source to learn the material, which is a good idea anyway because much of the material is important to real flying.

I found that the King DVD instruction for a PC worked efficiently for me, but it's not the cheapest way.

If you're on a budget and book learning works for you, much of what you need can be learned cheaply by buying the FAA books used, for example from abebooks.com You'll want Instrument Flying, Weather and FAR/AIM for sure. If you prefer reading stuff on your computer display, you can read some of those FAA books online at faa.gov.

It's definitely exam prep--I used the sport and private versions. That being said, it's really fantastic for test prep and in my opinion very much worth it.

Nice bike!! I have the ST 1300

The Gleim knowledge test book is mainly just exam prep. It's fine for that purpose, but you'll also need another source to learn the material, which is a good idea anyway because much of the material is important to real flying.

I found that the King DVD instruction for a PC worked efficiently for me, but it's not the cheapest way.

If you're on a budget and book learning works for you, much of what you need can be learned cheaply by buying the FAA books used, for example from abebooks.com You'll want Instrument Flying, Weather and FAR/AIM for sure. If you prefer reading stuff on your computer display, you can read some of those FAA books online at faa.gov.

FWIW, Gleim does make a learning manual, too, and the one you have is a companion to it.

Gleims audio review discs are perfect for when you want to fall asleep. I tried listening to them last year while driving to Colorado by myself and it was pretty ugly.

Gleims audio review discs are perfect for when you want to fall asleep. I tried listening to them last year while driving to Colorado by myself and it was pretty ugly.
That's probably not a problem you'll have with Rod, though some don't appreciate his infusion of humor throughout! I think most, though, prefer his humor to that of the King's!

I don't know what the current Gleim material is like, however, I used the Gleim manuals for the private, instrument and commercial written tests. Used other reference sources as appropriate to learn the material.

The lowest written score was 94 (commercial) didn't study as much, which is to say I didn't dig enough to understand every question in the test prep. I thought it was a good way to learn the material.

Back