My engine partial/forced landing.....on video

funkster9

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Robert Funk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qx7j5qKloRs&feature=g-crec-u

Went up for joyride Tuesday evening and got much more. Obviously still pending, but FAA inspector runup still displayed engine missing. Fuel contamination, exhaustion, mixture and primer all in proper placement. Early FAA suspicion is with ignition and induction systems.

Hopefully this can help curious pilots who wonder how they might react when positioned with arguably the mother of all piloting challenges.

Would love feedback as I try to convince myself to continue with this pasttime that I love.

I am so glad you didn't try to turn back. Not enough altitude.

Congrats on a successful forced landing.

How much did your knees shake when you got out? ;)

Will he interested to hear what the problem was.

You lived. Airplane will fly again. I think you did great. You now have a great story to tell your kids, hangar mates etc.

I'd fly with you.

I'd not let this deter me, just strengthen my resolve. You obviously didn't panic and your training worked.

Hats off to you sir.

Wow. Nice job. No aftermath pics/footage tho? That probably wasn't high on your priorities. :) For some reason, I just really like seeing that, but nobody really ever seems to keep the camera running.

When were the first indications of a problem? I'm guessing when you started breathing quick during your departure turn? If it was there it looks like it might have been possible to put it down on the other runway or taxiway, and maybe just over-run a bit.

Kinda hard to tell from the video, since we can't really hear the engine. What were the indications that alerted you to a problem?

And why would you consider discontinuing your passion?!? You executed that great, kept your head, and reverted to your training to resist the urge to attempt the impossible turn. If anything, this should increase your confidence in your abilities.

Last edited:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qx7j5qKloRs&feature=g-crec-u

Went up for joyride Tuesday evening and got much more. Obviously still pending, but FAA inspector runup still displayed engine missing. Fuel contamination, exhaustion, mixture and primer all in proper placement. Early FAA suspicion is with ignition and induction systems.

Hopefully this can help curious pilots who wonder how they might react when positioned with arguably the mother of all piloting challenges.

Would love feedback as I try to convince myself to continue with this pasttime that I love.

Why the question? You obviously had the chops to select a suitable spot and set it down safely. (Nice landing by the way) Odds are you will never experience this again. I have had a few interesting experiences in my career, and after the stuff sorted out and I had a few days to reflect I realized that training works, stuff happens, and I still love to fly. Nice job.

Id say you handled that about perfect! You landed straight ahead and saved the plane and you. Nice job!

Good job! What a bad place to have that happen, but at least there was suitable landings areas around. Hang in there

As everyone has said, you did a great job, made a quick decision that you were going to need to put it down, selected a good landing spot, and flew the plane all the way in! It would have been nice to have been able to make a radio call, but I guess that you were too busy trying to get power out of the engine, and that was the right priority. You should definitely keep flying, because a) you love it and b) you've proven that you can handle emergencies without freezing. As Henning would point out, that's not something that we can really know before it happens to us.

Had the same thought earlier this week. Night flight returning from night XC. Was about 10 out from my field with 2 choppers practicing at my field. On inbound call, alternator low volt light comes on (no problem) followed by burning smell and light smoke (problem getting bigger). Announced AC in distress, straight in approach (as I wanted to kill the master et al) and the choppers wouldn't break off. Ended up with master still on for Nav lights only (so those goofers wouldn't run into me) and everything else shutdown individually (pain in the arse). Made running an e-list tougher. Got it down ok, no indication of problems on ground. Mechanic found broken alternator bolt and alternator "cocked" with back coming off at inspection yesterday. All gauges/instruments normal all the way to touch down (no popped fuses) cycling master didn't help obviously. Figured if your alternator was coming apart at least the alt gauge would give an indication.

Great job, really. You did exactly what we're all taught to do, fly the airplane into the crash site. Your video proves you're much better off if you just continue to fly the airplane. I'd say losing an engine on takeoff to about 800ft is my biggest fear in flying, especially since I fly in a populated area and don't have fields.

Wow. My heart was pounding watching that. Nice work man. I liked your comment before takeoff: "Ready for this flight." And you proved you were.

Wow. My heart was pounding watching that. Nice work man. I liked your comment before takeoff: "Ready for this flight." And you proved you were.

My sentiment exactly.

You also picked out an excellent landing spot. Don't kid yourself, you did an amazing job. I hope the students over in the "ever accidentally stalled?" thread get a look at this video, because there are so many who have been in your situation who decided to try and keep climbing.

Submit this to ASF's real pilot stories and you may help save more lives.

I have to agree with everyone here, Robert. It's moments like these we train so much and you did exactly what needs to be done in that situation, don't panic - anic. Aviate, Navigate, Investigate and communicate. You cleared the trees, found a good enough flat spot to land and you and the plane are okay. Worse thing you could have done was try to land after the loss of RPM or turn back to the airport. I know there's probably doubts after an engine-out landing but watching the video should give you enough confidence to know that when it came down to it you were able to handle yourself in a loss of RPM situation after takeoff and live to tell the tale. Everything is a learning process and no pilots career is ever without a lesson inside and outside of the cockpit. I say keep flying and I would have no doubts about getting in an airplane with you. Great job.

Tremendous job. Glad those fields were there for you. Excellent work

I've had 3 engine outs. None of them went that smoothly. :no:

You did fine, keep flying. You are a gifted pilot..... with 8 lives left. ;)

Hats off to you... You are the MAN.....

Outstanding job. Emergency training paid off and a successful off airport landing is made.

I'm going to armchair quarterback for a minute.

The moment the engine started having problems, it appears you could have put it down on your airfield had you reacted within 5sec or so. Not necessarily on the runway, but before the trees / scrub.

The next option I saw was a field to your right. You could have continued your shallow right turn, and stuffed it in there.

Since you did not know what was going to happen, and the plane was still (kinda) running, can't fault you for not taking those two options.

You did a great job. You set it down in the rough field at minimum airspeed. Never heard the stall horn come on except when you wanted it to. You compensated for the crosswind and made a low airspeed landing. You are a good stick. Most people would have probably bombed in there and tore the gear off.

Thanks for sharing. Glad you are okay.

Last edited:
I am a student pilot that Just practiced this scenario 2 days ago. You handled it superbly and good of of you to post it. Very helpful for me.

Nice work.
Find out what went wrong, fix it, fly.
Be ready to do it all over again.

I'm going to armchair quarterback for a minute.

The moment the engine started having problems, it appears you could have put it down on your airfield had you reacted .

Yeah... At 3:08 he almost tried the 180 back to the runway but made the smart decision to continue straight ahead and find a field... he was there... not us... and did the perfect thing..

Ps.. No doubt his lungs are working great, when taking deep breaths.:yes:

My reaction after watching your video is that you handled the situation very well. Whether you continue to fly is obviously a personal decision, but I encourage you to objectively evaluate how well you performed in a high- pressure situation.

A pilot learns a lot about him/herself when the chips are down, and you now know that you have the presence of mind to maintain your composure and react appropriately. All pilots would like to think that they would do as well, but the record clearly reflects that some don't.

Best of luck and hope you decide to stick around.

Great job. Glad you're okay and thank you for posting the video; I've watched it a few times and will continue to do so over and over. Lots to learn from it.

I would never tell anyone to fly or not to fly; things can happen and that is why it is each pilot's decission to make. Whatever you will decide, you did great :thumbsup:

I have to add to the Bravo Zulus here - excellent airmanship.

I also note with admiration your thorough pre-takeoff checks; perhaps a reminder to me that I might need to review and update my own.

Nice work. You were certainly well trained and disciplined enough not to tempt fate with the turn around.

Great job!

Excellent job!

One question, why did you use flaps on takeoff? I see no runway at BKS that is really a short field for a 182. Even so, you didn't hold with the brakes for full power anyway.

Excellent job!

One question, why did you use flaps on takeoff? I see no runway at BKS that is really a short field for a 182. Even so, you didn't hold with the brakes for full power anyway.

I was trained to use 10 on takeoff all the time. I think it arguably made my situation safer. More wing=more lift=slower stall speed. If you search the web, I'm sure you will learn it is purely a matter of preference and clearly stated as pilot option in the POH.

A recent poll on the Cessna Pilots Association forums showed the majority of 182 drivers used 10 at all takeoffs.

Excellent job. I am curious whether you after having lived through this (and now you can watch your own video) is there anything you would have done differently if it happened again to you?

I can only hope that if this ever happens to me that I handle this as successfully as you did.

Excellent job. I am curious whether you after having lived through this (and now you can watch your own video) is there anything you would have done differently if it happened again to you?

I can only hope that if this ever happens to me that I handle this as successfully as you did.

Purely as self assessment, I think my obvious stress slowed my reaction time a bit, maybe. That is all subconscious and can't really be trained, I understand. Maybe real life experience sharpens those reflexes. I hope I never have a chance to test that theory.

I have also learned to become much more involved and educated in my bird's maintenance program (of course, cause still unconfirmed :wink2:)

Last edited:
Back