Replacement radio for 1967 Skylane

flyinggolfpro

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
flyinggolfpro
Just asking for some helpful advice from anyone that has had to replace radios on limited budget. My type of flying is strictly VFR and about 50-75 hours per year in the Pacific Northwest. (Eastern Wahington) My old Narco MK12 just went out and the other radio in the plane is the original ARC which doesn't work. Any suggestions? Looking at maybe a used Garmin 430W.....any help or advice would be appreciated.

Would this be a stand alone nav/com with gps screen or do I need other "black boxes" or instrumentation to go with?

Put numbers to "a limited budget", otherwise, we'll armchair upgrade you to a B787 once we're done.

The SL30 is worth looking at.

The GNS430W is overkill for someone who flies "strictly VFR and about 50-75 hours per year." You'd be talking You might consider the TKM/Michel MX-12 slide-in replacement for the dead Narco MK12.
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/mx12.php
You can also get the aforementioned MX300 to replace the ARC radio, and for under $3500, have two working nav/comms again. Of course, that won't give you any GPS capability, but for VFR only, you'd do just as well for less than half the money of just replacing one radio with a Garmin 430 by doing that, and then adding a handheld like the Garmin 696 and its competitors for your VFR GPS needs.

I just put a Garmin SL-40 into my 172. It works great and the total cost including labor was around $2.5k. If you want NAV as well as COM, look at the SL-30.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I just put a Garmin SL-40 into my 172. It works great and the total cost including labor was around $2.5k. If you want NAV as well as COM, look at the SL-30.
...which is startlingly more expensive than the SL40 comm-only unit.

Limited budget would be around $4-5,000. includes installation if possible. I have a Garmin 496 that works well for gps navigation. I like the sound of having 2 good radios in the stack.

The Michels are great radios and you just slide the MK12 out of the tray and slide the Michels in and now you have a digital flip flop NAvCom. Same with the other radio. You'll have two brand new radios for around $3000 and no installation charge. We did all six of the flying club radios and there are at least a dozen more in other airplanes in the area. With the money you save buy an IFly 720 touch screen GPS. Has the Jepp database with Sectionals, Low Altitude Enroute Charts, and all the Approach Plates plus a ton of other features. Don

Last edited:
Just asking for some helpful advice from anyone that has had to replace radios on limited budget. My type of flying is strictly VFR and about 50-75 hours per year in the Pacific Northwest. (Eastern Wahington) My old Narco MK12 just went out and the other radio in the plane is the original ARC which doesn't work. Any suggestions? Looking at maybe a used Garmin 430W.....any help or advice would be appreciated.

Get a hand held and fly it to VAL COM avionix in Salem OR and have that old stack yanked and put in one of these.

http://valavionics.com/com-2000-vhf-transceiver/

Limited budget would be around $4-5,000. includes installation if possible. I have a Garmin 496 that works well for gps navigation. I like the sound of having 2 good radios in the stack.
the TKM radios will keep you under that budget and there is zero installation cost other than modifying the equipment list and filling out the logbooks.

the TKM radios will keep you under that budget and there is zero installation cost other than modifying the equipment list and filling out the logbooks.

That, and although they look and channel kind of weird, thay are surprisingly good radios.

Narco is defunct. Not many options to fix a Narco radio now.

That's right, now any Av shop can repair them. all thier prints and spec's. became public domain.

For under $5000? And this from someone who thinks it costs $15K just to install a 430? :rolleyes2:
VALCOM will do the install for the price of the radio.

BTDT with them.

Almost every shop I know has a Mark 12 on the shelf, and are willing to swap it out. for the cost of the repair.

Why would you want to buy a new radio, before you know what is wrong with the old one?

Why would you want to buy a new radio, before you know what is wrong with the old one?
Because the TKM's are modern, solid state, electronically tuned, digital flip-flop radios. The MK12 is old, transistorized, mechanically tuned, analog junk.

Unfortunately, parts are no longer available.

yes they are, Narco made all their equipment from off the shelf stock. A transistor is a transistor, and many
av shops are parting out the units.

they can be repaired.

Because the TKM's are modern, solid state, electronically tuned, digital flip-flop radios. The MK12 is old, transistorized, mechanically tuned, analog junk.
and the price reflects that, fit the Mark 12 D for a lot of money less than buying a new radio. and it will work just as it always has.

every one is not into moving up to a costly new radio when they can get the Narco fixed. Specially when you don't know what is wrong with the old radio.

What IF ::

there is a wire broken in the back of the rack? is a new slide in radio going to fix that?

Last edited:
Hey Folks, got radio problems, Lets buy a new radio simply to find the rack has a problem. makes great sense if you got the bucks.

don't trouble here, there are too many radio salesmen working here.

Hey Folks, got radio problems, Lets buy a new radio simply to find the rack has a problem. makes great sense if you got the bucks.

don't trouble here, there are too many radio salesmen working here.

Labor here to find it is $90/hr.

And the local "well-regarded" avionics shop is batting 0/2 on my aircraft and Clark's aircraft's avionics issues.

They still charged $90/hr for multiple hours. Plus parts. Which didn't fix the problems. Multiple visits. As much time as they needed. No rush.

There's a new avionics person in town though, and that's where the DME problem is going next.

Barring that, I'll fly the damn thing to Clark's shop he found in Texas.

Too many shops who don't know how to fix anything out here in the real world, Tom. And they're charging whether the problems are fixed or not.

Finding clued up avionics people ain't easy.

...which is startlingly more expensive than the SL40 comm-only unit.

I originally wanted to install the SL-30 and pick up the NAV functionality, but the installed price was twice as much as the COM only SL-40. The SL-30 is a nice radio, but I had trouble justifying the cost and it offered no benefit to my VFR-only partners. We ended up pulling out the old indicator and using the space for a fuel computer.

Ryan

yes they are, Narco made all their equipment from off the shelf stock. A transistor is a transistor, and many
av shops are parting out the units.

they can be repaired.
I'm speaking of the mechanical parts, which are usually the issue. Also, it isn't that easy to find things like transistors any more -- not much of a market to support any manufacturer.

I'm speaking of the mechanical parts, which are usually the issue. Also, it isn't that easy to find things like transistors any more -- not much of a market to support any manufacturer.

You just don't know where to look.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sclien...1d8d413178fdae&bpcl=35466521&biw=1275&bih=560
Just because the radio quit talking doesn't mean it requires replacement. The OP needs to have a good AV shop do the trouble shooting and tell him what is wrong with the radio before he starts the hunt for a new one.

Transistors are solid state, as opposed to vacuum tubes which are hollow state. :D

Haven't been on the post for awhile but really appreciate all the info! I know I need to find out what is going on with the old one but at the same time wanted some info for backup if they say "toast". I would also like to replace the old arc no matter what so that I have two radios. I like the sound of the MichelsMX-12 and the MX300 for the old arc. Now the question is do I have to have an avionics shop do the replacement or can I have my local AP do this? If I have to take it somewhere the closest is Spokane because at this time of year going to Seattle usually is not an option in VFR. Or Tri Cities. Any other suggestions? I appreciate the help!

Haven't been on the post for awhile but really appreciate all the info! I know I need to find out what is going on with the old one but at the same time wanted some info for backup if they say "toast". I would also like to replace the old arc no matter what so that I have two radios. I like the sound of the MichelsMX-12 and the MX300 for the old arc. Now the question is do I have to have an avionics shop do the replacement or can I have my local AP do this? If I have to take it somewhere the closest is Spokane because at this time of year going to Seattle usually is not an option in VFR. Or Tri Cities. Any other suggestions? I appreciate the help!

Suggestions would be dependent upon what is wrong with your system.

If it simply a internal problem with the Radio, a slide in replacement will fix it, and you can do that, because the replacement radio like the MX 300 is an authorized replacement part.

But if it is a rack, antenna, or power supply problem you will need to have an A&P/radio repairman trouble shoot and repair.

The easy way to get the radio you need for your VFR needs is to have the local A&P/radio repairman remove all the old stack, wiring, cables except 1 antenna, and install a prewired radio from VALCOM.

then you an add the weight of the old stack to the useful load of the aircraft.

there are several ways to get what you need rather than dumping the whole mess on an Av shop.

Suggestion #1
remove the radio from the rack and clean the connector with a pencil eraser, and reinstall see if it will talk and receive.

You can do it yourself or have a local A&P do it. Just needs an entry on the equipment list and log entry. Every one we have installed around here has worked perfectly. Don

You can do it yourself or have a local A&P do it. Just needs an entry on the equipment list and log entry. Every one we have installed around here has worked perfectly. Don

FAR 43-A allows the pilot/owner/operator to remove and replace a radio that is designed to be removed from a rack where there are no wires to disconnect.

When direct replacement parts are used there is no need to change the equipment list.

Although it goes in the rack with no modifications it is a different brand of radio so the IA that took care of the club airplanes did the log entry and changed the equipment list. Kind of one of those grey areas and CYA deals. Don

Back