Dyke Delta

Re: Delta Dyke

I first saw this plane at Osh this summer and thought "hey that's pretty cool" I was surprised to learn it was a single seater. Anyone know the performance info on this bird?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-qSl0yQ4pY

The Dyke Delta (Dyke was the designer) is a four-seater, one up front, three-across bench in back. Knew someone with one, about thirty years ago. He liked it a lot.

I was sitting at an outdoor music festival when it it flew over. The musician looked up, and said, "Hmmmm... a flying guitar pick."

Ron Wanttaja

Thanks for the correction Ron. Really an interesting looking plane. Wiki says 3 seats but can fit a 4th in. When I saw it the wing was so big I couldn't get close and only saw the single pilot seat.

Dyke designed it to be easily fabricated, with lots of flat surfaces so one wouldn't have to make all those annoying curves. Dyke is yet another Ohioan talented in the art of aircraft design, by the way.

Last edited:
Reports I've read seem to indicate that at least 50 have been built and flown since
the plane was originally designed in the early 1960s. I saw three at Oshkosh a few
years ago, including the first one built by Dyke himself which he still flies regularly. Everything I've heard says that it flies really nice.

Back