Pilots of America Message Board

Home Live Chat
Go Back   Pilots of America Message Board > Controlled Airspace > Flight Following

Flight Following Got a general question to ask or aviation topic to discuss? Establish contact here!

Old September 26th, 2012, 04:49 AM   #1
(User ID: JohnSBA)
Pre-takeoff checklist

Avare-New free Android VFR GPS app

There's a new free VFR GPS moving map Android app named Avare, and the development team is seeking pilots to try out the app and offer feedback. Avare is open-source, ad-free, and requires only two Permissions: GPS of course for the moving map feature; and SD card access so it can store Sectionals for the contiguous U.S. states (lower 48). It also includes an AF/D, airport diagrams, full functionality in Airplane Mode, and several other features the pilots on the development team wanted. Avare is here on the gPlay store.

In case anyone's curious how I'm involved in Avare (pronounced "ah Vair"): In 2005 or so I met a guy named Zubair who was in our local flying club and he helped get me fired up to finally go for it and get a PPL. Over time we developed a friendship that lasted after I got the Private, after he let his license lapse, and even after his Android phone configuration company relocated to Boston. Last year I got a new Droid X and started this POA thread looking for exactly this app. Small, quick, simple, free, and open-source. When I couldn't find an app like I wanted, I started bugging him to write one. Being way busy with work, and also by then with a young family of four, he kindly and repeatedly refused. A couple of years ago I did manage to get him to do the BFR and start flying again. It was quite a pleasant surprise a few weeks ago when he told me he'd written Avare and asked me to check it out. I was easy to convince!

I liked it so much, I offered to write up some documentation for him, and then this website for Avare and a smaller free app he'd already done: http://apps4av.com/

So anyway, if you have an Android device and would like to help us test out Avare and decide what features to add next, you're invited. Just launch the Play app and install Avare. Note that though Avare is only about 250k the first Install is about 450MB due to the charts, AF/D, etc. So you'll probably want to use WiFi unless you have free data on the device. Once you've checked it out, we'd very much like to hear from you via Comments on the website above. You can also contact me directly via the website's About page. If there's interest I'll post followups here occasionally too.

I flew Avare version 1.9.2 from SBA to AVX and back with the DX plugged into aircraft power, and it worked perfectly. Now I'm very excited to fly again with v2.1.1 and play with all the new features. Especially the "Sim Mode" that lets me browse Sectionals at will using the Base button to zip to any airport I input so I can browse there. I already have ideas on a request to change how that works. Today a user contacted us via a website Comment about a GPS problem on his device, and Zubair's already cooked up a fix for him and released a new version. Can you tell I'm happy?

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic7209_1.gif
(click the map to make your own)
JohnSBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2012, 09:47 AM   #2
(User ID: midlifeflyer)
En-Route

Re: Avare-New free Android VFR GPS app

No bad for the basics of a chart. One suggestion you can pass on - choice on storage. Some Android models have two "SD-Cards." One isn't an SD card at all but storage within the phone/tablet. The other is a true external card. An app this large should allow the user to select which he wants (as soon as I installed, I got a low internal storage message).

Aviation Regulation Fallacies and Half-Truths
  1. The AIM is not regulatory.
  2. A Safety Pilot is only a lookout.
  3. The Pilot In Command is the only person with responsibility for the safety of a flight.
  4. It's your logbook.
  5. The FAA is the only governmental body that regulates what we do in aircraft.
midlifeflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2012, 04:41 PM   #3
Pre-takeoff checklist

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifeflyer View Post
One suggestion you can pass on - choice on storage.
Thanks for the feedback. I passed it on to Zubair, and he replied that storage location is "controlled by Google" but "if you go to Settings->Applications, Select Avare, and then select 'Move to external storage' that might solve the issue."

If you'd like to try that and post a followup it might be helpful to other uses bumping up against the memory limits on their devices. I'm glad you raised the issue, because the devices we've tested on all have at least 8GB of storage. They're probably "underutilized" too, since we don't keep many apps installed. My own Droid X currently shows 6.2GB available on the internal memory and 14.7GB available on the SD. With the app itself only using 250k and the charts & AF/D database file less than .5GB, the storage location didn't matter to me.

Thanks again, and Happy Flying!

Old September 28th, 2012, 01:13 AM   #4
(User ID: CT4ME)
Line Up and Wait

Very Nice! Simple, but effective. For the price of an Android phone or tablet, there's no excuse for any pilot not having a moving map, backup or otherwise.
Old September 28th, 2012, 12:38 PM   #5
(User ID: Ghery)
Final Approach

I haven't taken it flying, but had my son (we carpool together) watch it on the drive home. It followed along on I-5 nicely. IFR flight?

Plus Hawaii

Ghery Pettit
PP-ASEL IA
Ghery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2012, 12:43 PM   #6
(User ID: Badger)
Cleared for Takeoff

I just installed, I'll post a review asap, thanks
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2012, 01:54 PM   #7
En-Route

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghery View Post
I haven't taken it flying, but had my son (we carpool together) watch it on the drive home. It followed along on I-5 nicely. IFR flight?
No, this is a VFR-only app. And even there, from what I can see, no bells and whistles like multiple waypoint flight plans.

btw, John, the low storage message simple stopped so I haven't tried to move it using either the OS's own ability or one of my rooted apps.

3. The Pilot In Command is the only person with responsibility for the safety of a flight.
  4. It's your logbook.
Old September 28th, 2012, 02:45 PM   #8
(User ID: Jay Honeck)
Final Approach

Sweet! Mary's installing it on her Nexus 7. We will give it a whirl next flight.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Pathfinder N56993 ('02 - '13)
Ercoupe N94856 ('08 - '10)
Warrior N33431 ('98 - '02)
-----------------------------

-----------------------------
... States I've Landed In ...
Jay Honeck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2012, 05:00 PM   #9
Pre-takeoff checklist

Quote:
no bells and whistles like multiple waypoint flight plans.
Zubair has been adding some little (and big) bells & whistles as time permits. Wish I could afford to pay him to do this full-time instead of as an occasional altruistic hobby.

Thanks to everyone for all the feedback!

Happy Flying -j

Old September 28th, 2012, 05:04 PM   #10
(User ID: TMetzinger)
Final Approach

Have him look at the storage, it's NOT controlled by google. Ideally he should ask the user to specify the folder (i.e. /sdcard by default but let the user pick another by browsing) and that way those of us with 4.x Android can put the stuff on the microsd card which is frequently /mnt/ExtSdCard.

Edit: This is NOT where the application goes, just where it should store chart or other user data.

The first myth of management is that it exists.
The first myth of communication is that it's occurred.
TMetzinger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2012, 07:34 PM   #11
En-Route

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMetzinger View Post
Have him look at the storage, it's NOT controlled by google. Ideally he should ask the user to specify the folder (i.e. /sdcard by default but let the user pick another by browsing) and that way those of us with 4.x Android can put the stuff on the microsd card which is frequently /mnt/ExtSdCard.

Edit: This is NOT where the application goes, just where it should store chart or other user data.
That's correct.

This can always become an "I wish it was like FF" thread which is unfair to a developer of a free app. Even my earlier multiple waypoinf flight plans is only nice and not necessarily a core feature.

But I think there are minimum base features for an offline map app - choice of data storage, automatic GPS turn on and a setting that allows the screen to stay on.

But it is a very nice free app.

4. It's your logbook.
Old September 28th, 2012, 08:08 PM   #12
(User ID: Ghery)
Final Approach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghery View Post
Quote:
No, this is a VFR-only app. And even there, from what I can see, no bells and whistles like multiple waypoint flight plans.
Take the two sentences together. IFR = I Follow Roads.

Plus Hawaii

Ghery Pettit
PP-ASEL IA
Ghery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2012, 06:58 PM   #13
Pre-takeoff checklist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMetzinger View Post
storage, it's NOT controlled by google
Thanks for your feedback. I did check with Zubair and it's true that storage isn't directly controlled by Google. They do however specify, control and modify the Android environment and the Play store. That means, just like when I was programming decades ago, going direct to hardware is fraught with reliability issues for users of different devices and anytime Google decides to change how Android/Play works. Zubair replied in part, "Google has explicitly stated in their docs that no one should use the folder /sdcard because it may not exist on all devices."

I understand that your knowledge and experience may disagree with this, but since Zubair has donated his efforts to creating a free open-source app I really like (and am now using on every flight), I'm fine with his way of doing things. I also, from my own now outdated experience, agree with him.

All that said, he's currently working on some updates to the app that probably move in the direction you're advocating. Some may involve using resources other than gPlay for some things, to at least get around the limitations there.

Happy Flying -j

Old September 29th, 2012, 07:51 PM   #14
Pre-takeoff checklist

Quote:
This can always become an "I wish it was like FF" thread which is unfair to a developer of a free app.
Good point. I know a major motivator for Zubair in creating this free open-source app was to have a simple moving map VFR sectional on his new Nexus 7. He also wanted to share it with other pilots rather than try to make money on it. He also wanted to donate it to the open source programming community in case others might like to contribute or take it in a different direction. Being his biggest fan, I'm happy to see that others share my excitement and appreciation for his work.

Quote:
Even my earlier multiple waypoinf flight plans is only nice and not necessarily a core feature.
I've been working on collecting a list of feature requests on the Avare SourceForge (SF) page, and welcome anyone to sign up for a free account and post their ideas there. Also any bug reports. You can click above or use the Avare SourceForge link on our Avare website. He's following the SF pages for Avare, so anything you add there will be seen (and possibly acted on) more quickly.

Quote:
But I think there are minimum base features for an offline map app
I'm glad you mentioned that it's important to you, because it can help him gauge what important features to add next. I'm glad that list varies among pilots. Since it runs fine on my antique (almost 2 years old!) Droid X (DX) with 18GB left over, I'm very happy if he adds other features first.

Quote:
automatic GPS turn on and a setting that allows the screen to stay on.
I like these ideas, but they're apparently two more things not specified in the Google design. What I like about features like those you suggest is fewer inputs on the app while flying. On the other hand, I like the idea of "staying inside the lines" where possible for greater stability/portability and saving programming effort for other stuff. So for now I'm content to use the Android settings for these things. My DX came with a widget for GPS, but maybe some users have to wade thru Android's Settings menus every time?

I found a trick for keeping the screen & DX on in flight. I fly with my DX plugged into the plane's "cigar lighter" power via the car charger that came with the phone. I use Settings / Applications / Development / Stay Awake. That way when flying it's always on, and I don't have to change settings when we land and I want the phone to sleep again.

Something I'd hoped to see on Android is a more active open source movement. I'd love to see widgets for all the Settings that take the approach Zubair has: open source, free, no ads, and no invasive permissions. Those could also be packaged into such a widget that would enable users to put their choices on a pull-down menu. I was happy to finally discover the Data Switch widget, because leaving everything except cell service off when I don't need it (and Airplane Mode at night) I get about a week per charge. I hope Data Switch hasn't gone commercial on the new version.

Quote:
But it is a very nice free app.
That's the bottom line for me too. Seems to be a big gray area between an expensive high-end app that tries to do everything and maximize user convenience, and a simple free app that does just enough. People who shell out for an iPad clearly won't be interested in Avare.

Old September 29th, 2012, 08:58 PM   #15
(User ID: SkyHog)
Touchdown! Greaser!
PoA Test Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSBA View Post
Thanks for your feedback. I did check with Zubair and it's true that storage isn't directly controlled by Google. They do however specify, control and modify the Android environment and the Play store. That means, just like when I was programming decades ago, going direct to hardware is fraught with reliability issues for users of different devices and anytime Google decides to change how Android/Play works. Zubair replied in part, "Google has explicitly stated in their docs that no one should use the folder /sdcard because it may not exist on all devices."

I understand that your knowledge and experience may disagree with this, but since Zubair has donated his efforts to creating a free open-source app I really like (and am now using on every flight), I'm fine with his way of doing things. I also, from my own now outdated experience, agree with him.

All that said, he's currently working on some updates to the app that probably move in the direction you're advocating. Some may involve using resources other than gPlay for some things, to at least get around the limitations there.

Happy Flying -j
I'm downloading the app now...

FWIW, what he is saying is not right. Neither Google nor Google Play have any control over where the data for an application is stored. That's all programming.

Either way - I look forward to this app - if it stays free, it could be a great alternative to Naviator (which I love, btw, but some people don't want/can't pay for it, and I get that).
SkyHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2012, 09:03 PM   #16
(User ID: SkyHog)
Touchdown! Greaser!
PoA Test Pilot

BTW - to be able to keep the screen on, he need only do the following:

1. Change the manifest file to add the following:
<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.WAKE_LOCK" />

2. In the OnCreate method, add a PowerManager object and set the WakeLock property as appropriate.
SkyHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2012, 12:45 AM   #17
En-Route

Quote:
I like these ideas, but they're apparently two more things not specified in the Google design.
All of the apps on my phone (except this one, of course) access the GPS when needed. Maybe it's a newer OS, but my GPS is always "on" in the sense that it's more or less standby unless accessed.

And all of the mapping - street or aviation - I use keep the screen on when displayed.

As was said before about storage location, it's not the OS design.

4. It's your logbook.
Old September 30th, 2012, 01:01 AM   #18
(User ID: kgruber)
Pattern Altitude

I can load the application, but not the maps.

There should be an option to load the maps directly onto the micro SD chip, from a web site.

Last edited by kgruber; September 30th, 2012 at 12:02 PM.
kgruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2012, 03:03 AM   #19
Pre-takeoff checklist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHog View Post
I look forward to this app - if it stays free, it could be a great alternative to Naviator
I'm hoping it stays free too! At least the app, and I'd pay for chart updates if they're inexpensive and optional.

I think he's working on options for loading other charts in a future version too. I'd love to have TACs (do any other apps have them?), special charts like Grand Canyon, and Oh Canada! (and Mexico, etc...). Once that feature's in, maybe some road maps & topo charts could be added if anyone could find free ones.

Anyway, I've passed your tips on to Zubair and if he doesn't sign up here and join the convo I'll let you know if he responds. Again, this is all a volunteer hobby and he has a full-time job plus family - and most of all Flying!

Old September 30th, 2012, 03:07 AM   #20
Pre-takeoff checklist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHog View Post
Change the manifest file to add the following:
Maybe he's wanting to avoid adding any more Permissions? I've noticed many people objecting to Permissions in their Play reviews. I've been uncomfortable with many of the Permissions on apps myself, because it's impossible to know most of the time what the developer wants the Permissions for. Maybe this is a downside of Android's open policy rather than just trusting Apple, but I'd still rather know. Wish I could download an app and then choose what Permissions to give it.

Old September 30th, 2012, 03:11 AM   #21
Pre-takeoff checklist

Quote:
All of the apps on my phone (except this one, of course) access the GPS when needed.
Good point. I leave my GPS off and turn it on manually via the widget. Probably don't need to do that at all, but I like knowing when it's on and the widget's on my main Home screen. I actually used it in Avare before he added Sim Mode for browsing. I don't know how much power the GPS receiver uses, but I've cached gMaps and sometimes use that w/o GPS too. Unlike Avare tho, it tends to go funky when GPS and data are off.

Edit: Once my GPS is on via the widget, Avare does automatically use it and it apparently turns off when Avare's not active in the foreground. On my DX the widget just toggles Settings, Location & Security, Standalone GPS services. I have found tho that the DX loses GPS if Avare's not in foreground (screen on of course) for more than 45 seconds, and that's why I keep Avare foreground because I fly in Airplane Mode. My DX will often lose cell (and of course data & wifi) aloft, and then often not acquire GPS without them. As Zubair has told me, I should just buy a cheap external GPS. But I'm hoping in the next year or so we'll see some affordable ones with not just WAAS but also ADS-B in.

Last edited by JohnSBA; September 30th, 2012 at 03:26 AM.
Old September 30th, 2012, 03:19 AM   #22
Pre-takeoff checklist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgruber View Post
I can load the application, but not the maps.
Strange. How do you know they're not loading? Maybe you're saying that when you launch Avare, you never get past the black screen? Have you used the Files app to look for the maps? On my DX they're on the SD card in
Android/obb/com.ds.avare/main.21.com.ds.avare
(size 463608KB, date Sep 24, 2012).

Quote:
Therfe should be an option to load the maps directly onto the micro SD chip, for a web site.
I've actually already done that manually, and I think he's going to add it as an option in Avare at some point. My impression is his next major goal is to add the ability to get just the charts you want.

Old September 30th, 2012, 11:26 AM   #23
En-Route

Quote:
But I'm hoping in the next year or so we'll see some affordable ones with not just WAAS but also ADS-B in.
I'm pretty sure that GPS is universal but ADS-B is not. All of the information I see so far requires that the app be compatible. Ferinstance, FF only works with Startus, Garmin Pilot only with the GDL39; WinX with a few different ones. That would mean a lot of extra work for your friend to make his app compatible with one or more ADS-B receivers.

4. It's your logbook.
Old September 30th, 2012, 12:09 PM   #24
(User ID: kgruber)
Pattern Altitude

Quote:
Strange. How do you know they're not loading? Maybe you're saying that when you launch Avare, you never get past the black screen? Have you used the Files app to look for the maps? On my DX they're on the SD card in
Android/obb/com.ds.avare/main.21.com.ds.avare
(size 463608KB, date Sep 24, 2012).

Yes. I get to the black screen. Then it says "downloading maps". But I have a really cheap low memory LG phone. Do the maps automatically load onto the SD card?

I'll look for the maps, I do have a file app.

Thanks for the help. It looks like a really nice job!

I've actually already done that manually, and I think he's going to add it as an option in Avare at some point. My impression is his next major goal is to add the ability to get just the charts you want.
Thanks
Old September 30th, 2012, 12:29 PM   #25
(User ID: MSPAviator)
Cleared for Takeoff

I downloaded it on my HTC Evo 3D. I have played around with it but I haven't flown with it yet. It looks like it has some decent potential. For now though, I will continue to happily pay for Naviator...

My suggestions are:

1. Allow zooming out more.

2. When zooming in, switch to Terminal Area map if available... Or have a setting to enable that view.

3. Allow vertical viewing instead of just horizontal.
Go Back   Pilots of America Message Board > Controlled Airspace > Flight Following